Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #9

Judge rules on records requested by Amendola

Judge Cleland ruled that the defense is entitled to some, but not all, of the records requested in the recent round of subpoenas.

The Second Mile must release any complaints made by the accusers against Sandusky, along with records of their internal investigation.

Juniata College must release copies of the background check done on Sandusky when he tried to become a coach there in 2010.

The school districts must release documentation on psychological treatments not covered by privacy laws, but not IQ testing.

He will also receive information regarding the Clinton County child abuse investigation.

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/1...se-orders.html

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...se_orders.html
    "I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him." - Abraham Lincoln

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:

They are talking about the failure to report charges possibly being dropped against Curley and Schultz, because of the statute of limitations. If convicted, they would have faced 90 days in jail and a $200 fine. It is a victory for them, but a minor one.

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
    They are talking about the failure to report charges possibly being dropped against Curley and Schultz, because of the statute of limitations. If convicted, they would have faced 90 days in jail and a $200 fine. It is a victory for them, but a minor one.
    In Sara Ganim's article in today's Patriot-News, she rightfully mentions that this opens Tom Corbett up to fresh criticism for the lack of urgency he gave the matter when he was Attorney General.

Had he pursued this more vigorously, with more than one trooper assigned, the statute of limitations should not have ever been an issue; additionally, although nobody could have foreseen this, Paterno would still be alive to testify as corroboration to McQueary in the perjury trial.

Sara's analysis:
    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...andusky_p.html
    "I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him." - Abraham Lincoln

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rlaub44 View Post
    In Sara Ganim's article in today's Patriot-News, she rightfully mentions that this opens Tom Corbett up to fresh criticism for the lack of urgency he gave the matter when he was Attorney General.

Had he pursued this more vigorously, with more than one trooper assigned, the statute of limitations should not have ever been an issue; additionally, although nobody could have foreseen this, Paterno would still be alive to testify as corroboration to McQueary in the perjury trial.

Sara's analysis:
    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...andusky_p.html
    A very good analysis.

This has been the first legitimate criticism of Corbett in this matter, IMO.

Schultz has another problem. He claimed under oath that someone in child services was contacted, supposedly DPW, and investigated the 2001 incident. There was no record of that nor any record of University Police even being informed of the incident, unlike 1998.

Schultz basically has to convince a jury that he forgot; I don't think he'll be successful. Curley, who was out of the criminal investigation loop, isn't facing that problem. Bottom line, Schultz should be convicted on that, but I'd expect the case against Curley to be hugely weaker.

If Amendola has "Victim 2" and Victim 2 says there was no rape, Sandusky walks on that charge; I wouldn't even vote to convict him. There are other charges, including Unlawful Contact with Minor. I'd expect that Sandusky will be convicted, but he won't get 600 years. Amendola might be preparing to be Monty Hall, i.e. "Let's make a deal."

I could see Sandusky being convicted and out in time to vote for Corbett's successor.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

A very good analysis.

This has been the first legitimate criticism of Corbett in this matter, IMO.

Schultz has another problem. He claimed under oath that someone in child services was contacted, supposedly DPW, and investigated the 2001 incident. There was no record of that nor any record of University Police even being informed of the incident, unlike 1998.

Schultz basically has to convince a jury that he forgot; I don't think he'll be successful. Curley, who was out of the criminal investigation loop, isn't facing that problem. Bottom line, Schultz should be convicted on that, but I'd expect the case against Curley to be hugely weaker.

If Amendola has "Victim 2" and Victim 2 says there was no rape, Sandusky walks on that charge; I wouldn't even vote to convict him. There are other charges, including Unlawful Contact with Minor. I'd expect that Sandusky will be convicted, but he won't get 600 years. Amendola might be preparing to be Monty Hall, i.e. "Let's make a deal."

I could see Sandusky being convicted and out in time to vote for Corbett's successor.
    This might be where the emails that we recently learned about could be Curley's undoing. All it will take is one line demonstrating that Curley and Schultz recognized that there was a sexual nature to the allegations, and the perjury charge is all but secured.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:

The prosecution is preparing the victims for testimony, which will require public disclosure of their names. I am not thrilled about that, but it is necessary. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...rry_sandu.html

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

The prosecution has demanded information about any expert witnesses that Amendola plans to call.
    http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/1...-sandusky.html

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:

Sandusky is moving to dismiss on Victims 2 (McQueary-2001), 8 (Calhoun-2000), and, surprisingly, Victim 6.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...without_a.html

In regard to Victim 6, bear hugging in the shower, he's claiming that no criminal intent and that it wasn't sexual.

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upl...N%20LIMINE.pdf

In the case of Victim 6, only one misdemeanor required sexual intent; the other ten charges don't necessarily.

I think he's trying to get rid of the charges where there are third party witnesses. Bold move.

He might have one misdemeanor tossed in Victim 6 and Victim 8 has no witnesses and no victim.

Victim 2 is interesting.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

I have wondered what was Jerry Sandusky's relationship with his parents. I get the impression he did not have any problematic relationship with them, unlike many other infamous figures past and present.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

Jerry and his father Art- I haven't read "Touched" but someone who did says there is a passage describing a swimming event with Jerry and Art, shortly before Art’s death. Art weak; Jerry was supporting him in the water. Jerry let him go under. Jerry commented that was payback for when his dad did the same to him in his childhood.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:

This caught my attention.

Is Anyone Asking Whether Art Sandusky Was A Child Molester Too?
    http://milowent.blogspot.com/2011/11...-sandusky.html

What turned Jerry Sandusky into a monster? A parent, a family member, someone in the community? He self-reports being very shy and awkward as a child. I suspect we'll find out what happened. And it won't be pretty.

HMS Hood
    Mighty Hood
    Pennant Number: 51
    Motto: Ventis Secundis ("With Favourable Winds")
    May 15, 1920-May 24, 1941

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HMSHood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HMSHood View Post
    This caught my attention.

Is Anyone Asking Whether Art Sandusky Was A Child Molester Too?
    http://milowent.blogspot.com/2011/11...-sandusky.html

What turned Jerry Sandusky into a monster? A parent, a family member, someone in the community? He self-reports being very shy and awkward as a child. I suspect we'll find out what happened. And it won't be pretty.
    I think some of that is very exaggerated. It was common for a male child in the 40's through even the 70's to be involved in sports like football and wrestling.

I did find the "payback" comment troubling, but more in the context of trying to dominate someone weak, especially involving water.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Are vics 2, 6, 8 also part of a pattern of assault in the Penn State showers? A set so that jury could choose "believe one, believe all"? Jerry's defence and friends need all the campus shower out because the others lend credibility to McQueary's account.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by StellarsJay View Post
    Are vics 2, 6, 8 also part of a pattern of assault in the Penn State showers? A set so that jury could choose "believe one, believe all"? Jerry's defence and friends need all the campus shower out because the others lend credibility to McQueary's account.
    Victim 3 was also another shower person.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

About the swimming thing. Pg 223 in Touched. Go to amazon.com; set up an acct (no nasty email barrage will follow). Search his book. Use the word 'payback'. Two options should come up. It's the second one. (Not all of the book is available there, but this part is).

Hope this is within copyright restrictions:

"some of the very last days when I had taken my father swimming...I accidentally lowered his upper body and head under the water....When I was sure he was okay, I put a smile on my face and said, 'It's payback time, isn't it?'"

Bear in mind, this is a memory he had of recent times; it was on the day his dad died, just after the coroner showed him into his dead father's bedroom to see his body. He said it was the cycle of life, with him holding his weak dad up in the water, just as his dad had done for him over 45 yrs before.

I just find that both chilling and informative.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to pinktoes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
    About the swimming thing. Pg 223 in Touched. Go to amazon.com; set up an acct (no nasty email barrage will follow). Search his book. Use the word 'payback'. Two options should come up. It's the second one. (Not all of the book is available there, but this part is).

Hope this is within copyright restrictions:

"some of the very last days when I had taken my father swimming...I accidentally lowered his upper body and head under the water....When I was sure he was okay, I put a smile on my face and said, 'It's payback time, isn't it?'"

Bear in mind, this is a memory he had of recent times; it was on the day his dad died, just after the coroner showed him into his dead father's bedroom to see his body. He said it was the cycle of life, with him holding his weak dad up in the water, just as his dad had done for him over 45 yrs before.

I just find that both chilling and informative.
    He might have meant that he was caring for his father as his father had cared for him.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

JJ: I don't think so, from the way his other anecdotes were written (and not by him, I know; by his ghost writer). Seems like his others--to wit, sarcastic humor.

Sorry; should've given you more context. Jer let his dad's head go underwater, accidentally. Saw bystanders' concerned faces; looked and saw dad underwater. Pulled his head up. Dad "...screamed at me, 'What are you doing?!?'" Then Jer smiled and said, "It's payback time, isn't it?" (pg 223, Touched)

See if this will take you directly in:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=DhU...page&q&f=false
    Last edited by pinktoes; 05-18-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: addition

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinktoes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pinktoes View Post
    JJ: I don't think so, from the way his other anecdotes were written (and not by him, I know; by his ghost writer). Seems like his others--to wit, sarcastic humor.

Sorry; should've given you more context. Jer let his dad's head go underwater, accidentally. Saw bystanders' concerned faces; looked and saw dad underwater. Pulled his head up. Dad "...screamed at me, 'What are you doing?!?'" Then Jer smiled and said, "It's payback time, isn't it?" (pg 223, Touched)

See if this will take you directly in:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=DhU...page&q&f=false
    Okay, I can see that context a bit more clearly. It is a little creepy.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Prosecutors' response to Amendola's request for more detailed info on the accusations:

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/#p74

Scroll past all the individual paragraphs to the bottom of the page where it reads "AVAILABLE DOCUMENTS" and find the following:

•SANDUSKY AMENDED CRIMINAL INFORMATION FOR 2422 2011 5/18/2012 5:00:22 PM
    •SANDUSKY AMENDED CRIMINAL INFORMATION 2421 2011 5/18/2012 5:00:06 PM
    •SANDUSKY COMMONWEALTHS MOTION TO AMEND THE INFORMATIONS AND BILL OF PARTICULARS 5/18/2012 4:59:40 PM

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BennyProfane For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Benny!

Criminal Docket

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketS...R-0002422-2011

----------

Amended Bill of Particulars 5/18/12

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upl...ARTICULARS.pdf

--------
    Amended Criminal Information - victims 1-8 - 40 charges

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upl...422%202011.pdf

--------

Amended Criminal Information - victims 9 and 10 - 12 charges

http://www.co.centre.pa.us/media/upl...421%202011.pdf

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Judge ruled against the defense motion to delay the trial: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...se-denies.html

Set for June 5.

42. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Judge ruled against the defense motion to delay the trial: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...se-denies.html

Set for June 5.
    Good!

On the amended criminal informations submitted, not one charge has been removed and most the new information given of the incidents cover years and several places for each victim. Amendola better get to work since none of his delaying tactics and flim flam have changed the AG's or court's determination to bring JS to trial on all 52 counts of being the child predator he is. June 5 is coming up soon.

44. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Good!

On the amended criminal informations submitted, not one charge has been removed and most the new information given of the incidents cover years and several places for each victim. Amendola better get to work since none of his delaying tactics and flim flam have changed the AG's or court's determination to bring JS to trial on all 52 counts of being the child predator he is. June 5 is coming up soon.
    The judge has not ruled on the dismissal motion as of yet. Victim 8 might be dismissed, but I'd be surprised if the others would be.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Paterno family to get $13,000,000+ in pension benefits over the next two years: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...ceive-134.html

48. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

It will be interesting to see what effect this has on public opinion.

50. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast