Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State Sandusky scandal: AD arrested, Paterno fired, dies; cover-up charged #9

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    LOL...don't think a bunch of anonymous people on a forum who mostly are against his client will help him much....he doesn't know our demographics.....wonder if JS is considering a plea deal at this point, if nothing else but to spare his wife and family from hearing all the details.

I would have thought the same as you, Reader, if I hadn't watched the Casey Anthony trial play out. Baez and the defense team made no secret of the fact that they were monitoring on-line forums to determine how different strategies would be received by common folks like us.
    "I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him." - Abraham Lincoln

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rlaub44 For This Useful Post:

More new articles:

Insurer, Jerry Sandusky attorneys clash in federal court

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...y_insurer.html

..........Federal Insurance Co., which has paid at least $125,000 to Joe Amendola, Sandusky’s lead attorney, seeks a rare “public policy” ruling that would exempt an insurer from having to pay for costs incurred by an individual as a result of allegations of child sexual abuse.

That's just wrong. That's part of what their coverage is and there is no way they should be let out of having to pay for it now. JS is still innocent until proven guilty and as much as I believe he is guilty and would love to see his defense cost coming from his own pocket, I'm just as sick of insurance companies ripping people off and taking their money then not wanting to cover them when they have a claim.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camille For This Useful Post:

Defense is subpoenaing probation records on Victims 3 and 7. http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...on-office.html

TSM to close: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...-sandusky.html

What happened to former Centre County DA Ray Gricar?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by J. J. in Phila View Post
    Defense is subpoenaing probation records on Victims 3 and 7. http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...on-office.html

I can't say I'm sorry to see it go.

I'm the proud mother of a new attorney!
    It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
    Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThoughtFox For This Useful Post:

BBM

Something tells me we will get a lot of victim bashing during defense's case. Bastards.

oh, and I'm new to the case

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to seattlechiquita For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by seattlechiquita View Post
    BBM

Something tells me we will get a lot of victim bashing during defense's case. Bastards.

Welcome.

Well, it is standard. The credibility of the victims is key to every victim, except Victims 2, 6, and 8.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

AG: Sandusky Dismissal Premature Without 'Facts'

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012...se.html?ref=us

PITTSBURGH (AP) — A defense motion asking a judge to dismiss child sexual abuse charges against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky is premature because there are no "facts" in the form of sworn testimony on which to base the request, state prosecutors said Friday.
    -------

"The absence of a factual record requires this Court to deny those requests," the prosecutor wrote.

Fina also argued that because Sandusky waived his right to a preliminary hearing — thus acknowledging prosecutors had sufficient probable cause to take the charges to trial — dismissing the charges now would effectively nullify the waiver.
    -------

Bruce Antkowiak, a criminal law expert at St. Vincent College near Pittsburgh, said the prosecutor is correct in saying it's premature for Sandusky to ask that the charges be dismissed.

Although Antkowiak disagrees with the prosecution argument that Sandusky has waived his right to challenge the charges because he waived his preliminary hearing, the "significant point is there is nothing upon which the court can rule now" because there's been no testimony, he said.

More at link.......

I'm sure the opposition is well aware of this basic trial requirement but is just trying to tie up things as much as possible and delay the inevitable...JS facing his accusers...
    Last edited by Reader; 05-25-2012 at 06:13 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by seattlechiquita View Post
    BBM

Hi and welcome to the case, seattlechiquita!

Yep, gonna be a nasty trial of a nasty man and his nasty little lawyer...imo

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Former Penn State president sues school over emails linked to Sandusky scandal

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/186281...ndusky-scandal

.........Graham Spanier, who was fired from Penn State in the immediate aftermath of the child sex abuse scandal involving the former assistant football coach, reportedly filed the suit Friday in Centre County Court.

According to the report, Spanier's suit seeks to force the university to hand over emails relevant to the case.

The emails, which reportedly date from 1998 to 2004, "would refresh [Spanier's] recollection significantly and allow him to assist the university fully in its investigation," the suit says, according to the paper.

More at link.....

LOL, so noooowwwww he wants to help!

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Spanier is suing for access to the e-mails: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...nt-graham.html
    jinx, J.J...lol

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

jinx, J.J...lol
    Beat you by 3 minutes. I deleted it; yours was better.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Spanier's lawyers claim that Penn State attorneys were willing to send copies of the emails but allege the attorney general's office asked the school not to do so. The lawsuit seeks to have a court force the school to give copies of the emails to Spanier so he can be better prepared to testify for the internal investigation
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...andusky-emails
    STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) - Penn State has named Stephen Dunham its new general counsel, pending approval of the university's trustees in July.

The university says Dunham will take over for former state Supreme Court Justice Cynthia Baldwin, who held the position since January 2010.
    http://www.wfmj.com/story/18616162/p...eneral-counsel

I was wondering if Spanier filed the day after Baldwin left because she would have given him the emails but the incoming guy might not, but it looks like she's still there till July.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:

Former, or soon to be former, Penn State counsel Cynthia Baldwin, a former elected judge and appointed justice of the PA Supreme Court, has hired legal counsel herself. http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...opular#wgt=pop

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

"Recently, Spanier learned some emails from before 2004 were retrievable, the suit said, adding that Spanier has placed the condition on speaking with the Freeh investigators that the university first give him access to communications from 1998 to 2004.
    Spanier had been told that emails from that time period couldn’t be obtained “inasmuch as a new email system installed in 2004 at Penn State had eliminated email records prior to 2004,” the suit said.

The suit also said that when Spanier spoke to the grand jury, he was accompanied by an attorney he thought was representing his interests, an apparent reference to Cynthia Baldwin, Penn State’s outgoing attorney.
    “However, that counsel later (in 2012) took the position that she, in fact, was representing only the interests of Penn State,” the suit said."

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...opular#wgt=pop

I had read before that Curley and Schultz thought Baldwin was representing them; this is the first time I've seen that Spanier had the same idea.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:

Duh....Spanier, Curley and Schultz did not know that Baldwin worked for Penn. State? lol

What held them back from a simple question: are you coming to the GJ for me or for the school?

I don't buy it....they didn't think anything would come out of the GJ and were there only to lie and protect the university and their jobs themselves...big backfire, eh?

imo

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

More to show that there are other Sandusky victims:

Lawyer Marci Hamilton says on May 27th:
    “(Full disclosure: I’m a Penn State graduate, I’m married to a lifelong Philly Catholic, and I serve as co-counsel to victims of both the Philadelphia priests and of Jerry Sandusky—although my clients are not involved in the criminal trials, so I am not subject to the gag orders.)”
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...nn-public.html

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StellarsJay For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by StellarsJay View Post
    More to show that there are other Sandusky victims:

Lawyer Marci Hamilton says on May 27th:
    “(Full disclosure: I’m a Penn State graduate, I’m married to a lifelong Philly Catholic, and I serve as co-counsel to victims of both the Philadelphia priests and of Jerry Sandusky—although my clients are not involved in the criminal trials, so I am not subject to the gag orders.)”
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...nn-public.html
    I'm seeing the divide she's talking about with the Gricar case. Someone accused me of "bashing" him, because I suggested, gasp, that he might have actually had a sexual relationship with his wives, while married to each, or his live in girlfriend on 2-3 years.

People like heroes, and even though it is painful, sometimes heroes are not the person you'd like them to be.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

I'm seeing the divide she's talking about with the Gricar case. Someone accused me of "bashing" him, because I suggested, gasp, that he might have actually had a sexual relationship with his wives, while married to each, or his live in girlfriend on 2-3 years.

People like heroes, and even though it is painful, sometimes heroes are not the person you'd like them to be.
    Well said, J.J.....Another good quote from StellarsJay's link above:

Other Penn State students and alumni started a fund for charities that serve child-abuse victims, held candlelight vigils for the survivors, and have demanded that the university make the protection of children a priority. Their actions have made them feel better about the future, but even with their good works, their previous adoration for the institution must now feel more like a naïve first love.

For the rioters and a number of alumni, however, Paterno seemed almost as much of a victim as, well, Sandusky’s victims. Like the elderly Catholics, they want their comforting past restored now, and won’t let go without a fight.

Reminds me of the old saying: you can't go home again....

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:53 AM
    Penn State/Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal to be documentarized

It’s to be called Happy Valley, and it promises to be an in-depth and wrenching documentary about Jerry Sandusky, the Nittany Lions assistant football coach charged in a wide-reaching sexual abuse case................

Happy Valley is being produced by A&E IndieFilms in partnership with Asylum Entertainment. Jonathan Koch, president of Asylum, is a native of State College, and, in his youth, was a camp counselor for The Second Mile, the nonprofit organization for underprivileged kids founded by the Sanduskys.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/o...#ixzz1viSMj7Zz
    Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else
    They might want to wait until the trial.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by StellarsJay View Post
    "Recently, Spanier learned some emails from before 2004 were retrievable, the suit said, adding that Spanier has placed the condition on speaking with the Freeh investigators that the university first give him access to communications from 1998 to 2004.
    Spanier had been told that emails from that time period couldn’t be obtained “inasmuch as a new email system installed in 2004 at Penn State had eliminated email records prior to 2004,” the suit said.

The suit also said that when Spanier spoke to the grand jury, he was accompanied by an attorney he thought was representing his interests, an apparent reference to Cynthia Baldwin, Penn State’s outgoing attorney.
    “However, that counsel later (in 2012) took the position that she, in fact, was representing only the interests of Penn State,” the suit said."

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/05/2...opular#wgt=pop

I had read before that Curley and Schultz thought Baldwin was representing them; this is the first time I've seen that Spanier had the same idea.
    Fu Spanier, this makes me sick.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:

Mr Spanier: What did you know, when did you know? Wait a minute, I have to check my emails.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ohiogirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ohiogirl View Post
    Mr Spanier: What did you know, when did you know? Wait a minute, I have to check my emails.
    I think it is a reasonable request. This guy probably has about thousands of e-mails, and he could legitimately forget.

I know that, at times, I have to look up stuff relating to the RFG case.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ohiogirl View Post
    They might want to wait until the trial.
    I was hoping it would cover the trial but several sites I checked said something similar to this (caps are theirs/scroll down):

1983 STATE COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE JONATHAN KOCH IS NOW THE PRESIDENT OF THE ASYLUM ENTERTAINMENT FILM PRODUCTION COMPANY AND HE’S PLANNING TO MAKE A DOCUMENTARY ABOUT THE JERRY SANDUSKY SCANDAL AND ITS IMPACT ON STATE COLLEGE. THE CENTRE DAILY TIMES REPORTS THAT ASYLUM IS PARTNERING WITH A&E INDIEFILMS, THE DOCUMENTARY PRODUCTION ARM OF A&E NETWORK, ON THE FILM CALLED “HAPPY VALLEY.” THE RELEASE DATE HASN’T BEEN SET YET. ASYLUM PREVIOUSLY WON AN EMMY FOR THE TV MINISERIES “THE KENNEDYS.” KOCH ALSO WORKED AS A CAMP COUNSELOR FOR 2 SUMMERS AT THE SECOND MILE.

http://rocky1049.com/content/local-n...ay-may-23-2012

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

I think it is a reasonable request. This guy probably has about thousands of e-mails, and he could legitimately forget.

I know that, at times, I have to look up stuff relating to the RFG case.
    Yes, but how many would actually be about Sandusky?

I'm gonna guess 2, one from 1998 and one from 2002 and both probably say something like:

Sandusky who?

lol

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Yes, but how many would actually be about Sandusky?

I'm gonna guess 2, one from 1998 and one from 2002 and both probably say something like:

Sandusky who?

lol
    There could be a lot of stuff on his retirement package.

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J. J. in Phila For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast