TX - Three dead, 8 wounded in cockfight shooting, Edcouch, 19 April 2012

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Edcouch is in south Texas, about an hour east of the Mexican border and about the same distance west of South Padre Island TX.

Three dead and eight injured as Texas cockfight turns into a gunfight
Three people were killed and eight injured when masked gunmen opened fire during an illegal cockfight on a Texas ranch. The attack, described by authorities as a bloody massacre, sent spectators fleeing from makeshift bleachers surrounding the fighting ring near Edcouch.
---
Homer Jasso, the justice of the peace for that area of the county, said the scene was shocking in its gore.

'It was a massacre,' Jasso said. 'I haven't seen this kind of violence in the valley here on my watch."
---
Jasso said one man lay dead under the corrugated metal and wood pavilion that housed the bleachers, ring and concession stand. The bodies of the other two men were just outside. .

The bodies of at least 20 dead fighting roosters were also strewn about, although Jasso said he didn't know if the birds died in the ring or the gunfire.

'It was awful, awful, awful,' Jasso said.
---
more at Daily Mail link above

Police are searching for the attackers and clues to possible motives.

I guess I've lived in Oklahoma and Texas too long but cockfighting....well, okay, yes, it should be illegal, it really should. I guess. State Question 687 in 2002 saw OK voters veto cockfighting. Now it's done clandestinely. A new Texas law went into effect in 2011, closing loopholes in the old one and making penalties more severe; but, as we see, it still thrives.

Article states, "200-300 discarded beer cans on the ground." Must have been some party.
While i'm certaintly not endorsing this "sport", I know it is deeply ingrained in certain Hispanic cultures. It's not even illegal in Peurto Rico.

Closest I ever got to a cockfight was at the filming of a really bad movie about cockfights.

I'd say.

Cockfight shooting believed to be sloppy hit (AP/San Antonio Express-News)
McALLEN, Texas (AP) — Frantic calls to emergency responders described a chaotic scene with people frightened, wounded and fleeing in all directions after masked gunmen opened fire on a Texas cockfight near the Mexico border.
---
The gunmen remained at large.
---
Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino said Friday it was "the crime scene from hell."

"Obviously they're amateurs," Trevino said of the shooters.

The shooting had no connection to violence in Mexico, he said. "This was strictly a local issue."
---
Killed in the fray were 49-year-old Ramiro Garcia and his brother, 53-year-old Juan Santos Garcia, and 42-year-old Arturo Buentello Garza.

Trevino said Garza was likely a bystander, but the Garcias were well known to authorities for previous criminal activity, including drug possession.
---
Trevino said one possibility is that it was revenge for a previous drive-by shooting, though he did not provide details.
---
lengthy article at link above

Not going to have much GAFs here. If you RELISH and ENJOY the pain and suffering, blood and torture, of animals (EVEN CHICKENS!) you are a sick and sad person. I can't find even one ounce of my body matter that feels anything but grateful that people who enjoy such activities have been eliminated. Sorry, I know that's not right to some.

Not going to have much GAFs here. If you RELISH and ENJOY the pain and suffering, blood and torture, of animals (EVEN CHICKENS!) you are a sick and sad person. I can't find even one ounce of my body matter that feels anything but grateful that people who enjoy such activities have been eliminated. Sorry, I know that's not right to some.
With all due respect for - and undertanding of - your sentiment above, sorry, but I disagree.

That thought carried out to its logical conclusion would absolve the shooters in this case.

sounds about right to me ... I've been thinking the same thing

With all due respect for - and undertanding of - your sentiment above, sorry, but I disagree.

That thought carried out to its logical conclusion would absolve the shooters in this case.

point taken

still can't help but be happy that the morons are 'eliminating' one another

[bbm]

btw, what does GAF mean?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member