1171 users online (231 members and 940 guests)  

Websleuths News

Rochester, New York

Angry Cruise line regrets failure to help stranded Panama fishermen

Cruise line regrets failure to help stranded Panama fishermen
    By Laura Smith-Spark, CNN
    updated 12:42 PM EDT, Fri April 20, 2012

(CNN) -- An American cruise line has said it "deeply regrets" the deaths of two Panamanian fishermen amid claims that one of its cruise ships failed to help their stranded boat.

Princess Cruises said passengers on the Star Princess apparently alerted a crew member to the disabled fishing boat in March, but initial indications are that the captain was never told....

Can you imagine seeing a ship finally and it just cruises away. Those poor guys.

This story breaks my heart. It is a tragedy that the captain was not notifed. Two lives would have been saved. I can't imagine the despair they must have felt when the ship sailed on without helping them.

Omg...that is so sad. I can not even imagine! And it makes me so angry that the cruise line did nothing! Those poor fishermen! UGH!

Upstate NY
    Here's the Daily Mail version, with pictures, of course:

'We saw the cruise ship and thought we'd be saved': Anguish of
    sole survivor as he watches it sail off after trying to flag it down

Irony Watch: one of the two persons who spotted the boat was named Gilligan.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Metro Detroit
    Since Princess is DH's and my cruiseline of choice (we are Elite members with more than 16 cruises with the company and have sailed on the Star Princess three times), I am saddened to hear about this unfortunate incident. I've read several different accounts of the story and followed some discussion threads on Cruise Critic that included some passengers who had been on that particular sailing. I feel that its best to not make any judgment about fault until Carnival Corporation completes its thorough investigation.
    Last edited by BetteDavisEyes; 04-22-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Typo

Wow. About 20 years ago I was on a cruise and we missed two stops because we had to help a small ship with something after going thru the Panema Canal.
    I can't even imagine not stopping!
    Evil don't look like anything...