Fairy cake pandemonium: edible v. non-toxic cupcake glitter sparks row at bake-off

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Storm in a cupcake: How Miranda star sparked pandemonium after question over
'edible glitter' she used on Great British Bake Off reveals it's 'not to be consumed'
(Sunday Mail)
She may be best known as the joke-shop manager in the hit TV comedy Miranda, but actress Sarah Hadland has stirred up a serious row over whether cake glitter is safe to eat.

When she appeared on a special charity edition of The Great British Bake Off, Sarah admitted that she did not know whether the product she had just sprinkled over her red velvet cupcakes was edible.

Her reaction to the question posed by Paul Hollywood, judge of the Sports Relief edition of the BBC2 show, prompted so much panic among viewers that ‘edible glitter’ has now been registered as one of the top ten food concerns in Britain by the Food Standards Agency.
Wait. What?
For years, cake glitter has been sold in pots labelled either ‘edible’ or ‘non-toxic’. Edible glitter is made from starch-based food products that can be digested by the body.

Non-toxic glitter is manufactured from plastic and is not digestible.

Terrence Collis, the FSA’s director of communications, initially wrote on its website in February: ‘Buy it [glitter] from the baking section of the shop (not an art shop), check the label says it’s edible and check the ingredients to see that it’s made of something edible, otherwise you could be covering your cupcakes with plastic!’
So that cleared that up, yes?
He then created a muddle by also suggesting there was nothing wrong in eating non-toxic glitter, writing on an FSA blog: ‘Remember that non-toxic doesn’t mean that you can’t eat it.’

This resulted in thousands more people flocking to the FSA website and Facebook cooking forums demanding a definitive answer on whether non-toxic glitter was safe to consume.

The FSA eventually ruled it should not be eaten.
---
the rest of it at link above

Not sure how this issue translates regarding cake glitter in the U.S.A.
But probably the "edible" v. "non-toxic" definitions hold true here, too.

I should add that I'm hungry enough right now that plastic glitter atop a cupcake wouldn't phase me one little bit.

Well I guess the "non toxic" would make for shiny, glittery excremate.

These cupcakes, baked by my own fair hands were liberally sprinkled with said glitter and eaten by my family with no unusual effects (and I was musing over the possibility of sparkling turds also)

These cupcakes, baked by my own fair hands were liberally sprinkled with said glitter and eaten by my family with no unusual effects (and I was musing over the possibility of sparkling turds also)

Did you check to see if they sparkle?

(Don't flush, Don't flush I want to see if they sparkle!)

Oh, so that's what my granny was talking about when she said someone was so fine even their s*** sparkled. :D

But I want to know who first thought that it would be a great idea to put plastic on top of cakes.

Oh, so that's what my granny was talking about when she said someone was so fine even their s*** sparkled. :D

But I want to know who first thought that it would be a great idea to put plastic on top of cakes.
The crafts shop cabal, evidently, lol. I was in WalMart today and passed the bakery and "eyeballed" the cupcakes section closely, but didn't bring myself to ask if they used "edible" or "non-toxic" glitter on them. Then I passed the crafts aisle quickly, not looking back at the glitters.

I saw that yesterday, best part of the whole article was in the comments

My Depleted Uranium Sponge is to die for.

:biglaugh:

One of my favourite shows is Sweet Genius. The judge always comments about putting things on the plate that are inedible (he hates it). This includes food coloring and glitter! Eek - I always thought food coloring was edible.

Now whenever someone uses food coloring on the show I'm the first to say - oh' that person is getting the boot :)

Mel

Bluto Blutarsky and Homer Simposn say 'UM, Cupcakes'. Cupcake fight? :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni