1355 users online (321 members and 1034 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

FL - Mentally disabled woman found chained & cuffed in backyard

A mentally disabled 21-year-old woman was found handcuffed, bleeding and chained to a sandwich-style billboard in her family's back yard Saturday in what deputies are calling one of the most brutal cases of abuse they have ever encountered.

The young woman and three boys were taken from the Bellview home of her adoptive parents after neighbors heard her screaming for help, then saw her handcuffed, knocked down and sprayed with a hose.

The woman's mother, stepfather and a family friend were charged with aggravated abuse of a disabled adult, a first-degree felony, according to the Escambia County Sheriff's Office.

(snip)

Following the sound of crying to the backyard, he found the disabled woman bound with pink fur-covered handcuffs, bleeding from the mouth and wearing two large wooden signs.

The billboard was made of two pieces of wet plywood, about 3 square feet, and was held around her neck with two metal chains.

The misspelled message on one side read "I am a liar and a theif." The other side read "I well not."

Covered in dirt and soaking wet on the rainy afternoon, the woman had worn a path walking in circles around a pool.

She has the mental capacity of a child, Baxter said.

(snip)

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120422/...text|FRONTPAGE

Sometimes all one can say is, "Good God." Its an image right out of a Flannery O'Connor short story, and that in real life is never a good thing.

That is so, so, so very sad.

Bless this neighbor who tried and tried to help this woman, calling LE numerous times. But he didn't give up, and probably saved this woman's life. I hope the previous calls are investigated (as they say they are) and I hope the scum abusers are going to have to serve time. And here I worry myself sick about two dogs chained up next door who are not starved nor beaten, in fact, treated better than this woman was.

This neighbor is a hero in my eyes.

He called nunmerous times to try and get this woman some help.

Her 'family' is disgusting.

She was handcuffed in the back yard naked and forced to wear heavy signs around her neck with chains because she freaking took a piece of candy from a collection that these POS were going to give to the homeless.........REALLY?!!??
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/apr/2...ed-ar-3653070/

this link has mug shots of the monsters who did this and the handcuffs and the signs.

And they caused a four inch gash on her head with a bucket and tried to close the wound with super glue, then when that didn't work they sewed it up with needle and thread!

Thank goodness for the neighbor who wouldn't give up trying to help her. He even followed a deputy and stopped him when he went to the house and just spoke to someone then left. This neighbor is a hero.

I hope this case gets tons of publicity so everyone pays for what this girl went through. No plea deal or such and it needs to be really answered to why the authorities didn't do a damn thing. No probable cause my behind.

Seems to me it's the same rationale as Jaycee Duggard - knock on the door, ask if all is well, and ignore what is going on in the back yard. When will LE GET A CLUE?

There are too many cruel psychopaths out there. I hope that, once she has healed from her physical abuse, she is put in a good place to live and help with emotional issues. I hate to think what her entire life has been like.
    The greatest trespasser on justice still wishes it done to him.

EDWARD COUNSEL, Maxims

The adoptive mother of the 21-year-old, mentally handicapped woman helped sew costumes for church productions.

The mother's husband was part of the church prison ministry team.

Today, they remain in the Escambia County Jail, accused of torturing DeeAnn Hale's 21-year-old adopted daughter, who is said to have the mental capacity of a child.

(snip)

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120423/...text|FRONTPAGE

Surely there were social workers involved in this girls life..where were they? I'm sure these monsters were receiving money for this disabled woman and the three boys in thier care. Wouldn't cps or some other social services agency be required to do regular check-ups? How can a human being treat another so inhumane? I hope they all get very long sentences.

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office never had a reason to suspect that a mentally handicapped, 21-year-old woman was being abused prior to last weekend, Chief Deputy Larry Aiken said Monday.

A review of Sheriff’s Office records showed that deputies made two visits to the woman’s Bellview home in the past 15 months, but on neither occasion was there reason for alarm on the deputies’ part, he said.

Neighbors of the woman called 911 on Saturday to report her adoptive mother’s husband and a friend of his beating and spraying her with a garden hose.

(snip)

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120423/...disabled-woman

The stunning case of a 21-year-old mentally disabled woman who was hungry, bleeding, handcuffed and strapped to a 40-pound sandwich-board sign in her backyard when rescued by deputies three weeks ago goes to court today.

During an arraignment hearing in Escambia Circuit Court, attorneys for the young woman’s adoptive mother, her mother’s husband and a friend are expected to enter formal pleas of not guilty.

(snip)

Then one December afternoon, Davis felt that the situation with the young woman was worsening.

“She came in with

a split ear, and it was bleeding profusely,” she said.

Davis said she immediately called in a staff nurse, who said the young woman needed stitches. Davis then called the state abuse hotline and notified the School District, she said.

DeeAnn Hale picked her daughter up so she could get medical care.

“She never returned,” Davis said.

(snip)

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120511/...text|FRONTPAGE

Quote Originally Posted by daisy7 View Post
    The stunning case of a 21-year-old mentally disabled woman who was hungry, bleeding, handcuffed and strapped to a 40-pound sandwich-board sign in her backyard when rescued by deputies three weeks ago goes to court today.

During an arraignment hearing in Escambia Circuit Court, attorneys for the young woman’s adoptive mother, her mother’s husband and a friend are expected to enter formal pleas of not guilty.

(snip)

Then one December afternoon, Davis felt that the situation with the young woman was worsening.

“She came in with

a split ear, and it was bleeding profusely,” she said.

Davis said she immediately called in a staff nurse, who said the young woman needed stitches. Davis then called the state abuse hotline and notified the School District, she said.

DeeAnn Hale picked her daughter up so she could get medical care.

“She never returned,” Davis said.

(snip)

http://www.pnj.com/article/20120511/...text|FRONTPAGE
    Lord, Daisy! This poor woman has been abused for a very long time.

It's very disheartening that a report made by UCP to the abuse line was not followed followed up more thoroughly. I am local to this case and have worked with UCP professionally for years; they are amazing advocates for people with disabilities.