Earthquake SoCal

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
OK that was weird- anyone else feel it?
Never felt one quite like that before. Jolting not rocking.

Yes I felt it too!
Looked on our daily EQ site, said 1.6 near Anza-Borrego.

Seems to me it was bigger and closer than that. And the site reported it as a few minutes prior.
So I am still looking into the one I just felt.

Update on EQ site:
Magnitude 3.9 at 17.37 (time)
Outside San Juan Capistrano...right by you, JBean. I am in Rancho Santa Margarita!

Yes... my computer kitty, Tanner, and I felt the jolt! :smile:

did it rock for you out there in RSM? or was it a jolt? It was very different feeling than most.
I am out your way all the time. :)

did it rock for you out there in RSM? or was it a jolt? It was very different feeling than most.

It was a jolt for us in Irvine (near the Spectrum). In fact, I thought maybe someone dropped some kind of heavy equipment on the building's roof.

It was definitely a jolt... no rocking.

So you recognize Rancho Santa Margarita?

We've lived here close to 25 years. We love it. And love Dana Point, too!:seeya:

I knew I felt something! but it was an odd one.

I know zero about earthquakes but is it possible this is a precursor and there are more coming your way? Can they predict that? You guys stay safe!

I am a multiple hurricane survivor, lol. So many, I lost count... But at least we have notice and can prepare.

We were in Laguna Niguel ...I thought for sure it would be more than a 3.9. Guess that's what happens when you're sitting on top of it? (Is there a fault in SJC?)

I know zero about earthquakes but is it possible this is a precursor and there are more coming your way? Can they predict that? You guys stay safe!

I am a multiple hurricane survivor, lol. So many, I lost count... But at least we have notice and can prepare.

It is possible. There is such a thing as a "fore-shock". I don't know how common they are because we have so many small quakes here in CA that most of the time we don't pay attention until a bigger shock hits.

No, AFAIK, they have no way of predicting whether this quake is a harbinger of bigger quakes to come. Except that we KNOW bigger quakes will come sooner or later.

I grew up in South Florida, so I too am a veteran of many quakes. They seemed less nerve-rattling to me, but then we had better building codes in the 50s and 60s and so it was virtually unheard of for entire neighborhoods to be destroyed. (Also, I was a kid then. Now I OWN the house and am responsible for repairing it if there is damage.)

ETA note to JBean: that sounds like the Newport fault which runs up the coast and then just off-shore in LA County. When we lived in Venice, quakes on that fault often felt different from the ones in Northridge or Whittier.

Didn't feel a thing. I may have been driving, though. The dogs were with me, and it doesn't seem as if they noticed anything, and the cats were all mellow and calm when I got home, so whatever happened, it missed me and the 4 legged dozen.

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021