Hotel offers $3000.00 cocktail

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
A New York hotel is offering a $3000.00 martini cocktail - containing a real diamond. The Algonquin Hotel admits the vodka, vermouth and olives are much the same as in any martini.

But the twist lies in the 'ice' - a diamond from the hotel's in-house jeweler, the Daily News reported.

The hotel has not yet sold a single 'Martini on the Rock' but general manager Anthony Melchiorri is still hopeful.

He told the newspaper that he was hoping to catch some wealthy suitors looking for a unique way to propose marriage.

The cocktail, with the diamond nestling in the bottom of the glass, must be ordered three days in advance and the final price varies according to the size and quality of the diamond.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1196572.html?menu=

New York hotel offers $10,000 martini
NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Drinkers might want to keep a clear head when ordering a martini at New York's historic Algonquin Hotel or they might pay $10,000 for that cold sip.

The landmark hotel, where famed wit Dorothy Parker and fellow literary lights at the Round Table imbibed, offers a $10,000 martini, complete with a loose diamond at the bottom.

No one has ordered one yet, in the martini's first week on the menu, but the hotel hopes some romantic soul will buy one any day now.

"We haven't had any buyers yet, but a lot of people are talking about it," said Anthony Melchiorri, the hotel's general manager, on Wednesday.

The drink is designed to fit with tradition at the Algonquin, where Round Table members including Parker, writer Robert Benchley, playwright George S. Kaufman and "The New Yorker" magazine founder Harold Ross gathered regularly.

Today, Parker's ode to the martini adorns hotel napkins: "I love a martini -- but two at the most. Three I'm under the table; Four, I'm under the host."

Parker's response to the $10,000 martini might be mixed, the manager conceded.

"I think she would like the idea so long as she'd get to drink it," he said. "I don't think she'd care about the diamond, but she'd care about the martini."

Fear not, the manager added, no one can really order the martini by mistake.

The tipple requires 72 hours' notice, and buyers meet with a jeweler to select a gem and with hotel staff to ensure the cocktail is delivered to the right table.

If it was a Margarita, I'd go for it!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3