LI mom fired after donating kidney to her boss: suit

deelytful1

*~a mere mortal~*
Reaction score
Now this is SERIOUSLY the epitome of an ungrateful {modsnip}

I felt I was giving her life back,’’ Stevens told The Post. “My kidney ended up going to St. Louis, Missouri, and hers came from San Francisco.”

Stevens said she did not realize that she was in for serious pain, discomfort in her legs and digestive problems after the surgery on Aug. 10, 2011. She said she felt pressured to return to work Sept. 6, before she was ready — even while her boss was still recovering at home. When Stevens went home sick three days after her return, she said, Brucia actually called her from home to berate her.

“She . . . said, ‘What are you doing? Why aren’t you at work?’ I told her I didn’t feel good,’’ Stevens told The Post. “She said, ‘You can’t come and go as you please. People are going to think you’re getting special treatment.’ ”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cruelest_cut_out_8iAZkm6NB0YWIBpBHsXEQP#ixzz1svV03CKd

So many despicable people in this world... :sigh:

I'm a kidney donor, so I see this story from a slightly different perspective. Yes, I agree that the boss sounds like a horrible person and an even worse boss. She was given a gift and with that, she should have the common ethics and morals to honour the gift by living each day with the kindness and generosity that she was shown.

But..

A kidney donation is just that - a donation, a gift. It should not be given with any expectation of payback in any form. No strings attached.

I can tell you that living donors go through a rigorous screening process including psychological and social evaluations. Doctors are under oath to do no harm. Taking a healthy person and removing a healthy organ solely for the benefit of the health of another person *is* exposing the donor to harm. The onus is on the *donor* to prove to the transplant team why the transplant team should risk doing harm - possible death - to save the life of a second person.

You have to prove to the transplant team that you are in the position to take on all of the risks involved in donating the organ. Yes, it's painful. You need time to recover. You need to be financially, emotionally, physically, spiritually in the position to give the gift. And you need to be sound enough if things go wrong. It could be that the transplant fails, it could be that the recipient is an a-hole like this boss.

She should focus on the good that she did. Nothing should mar that. Then she should find a new job with a better boss and not look back.

I would say that a change of employment would definitly improve her quality of life.
It is amazing that people like her boss exist but the work place is full of them.

Wow how ungrateful,i can bet it would be a different story if it was the boss who had to go home because she was feeling unwell she would expect everyone's sympathies.

Sounds like this woman is better off in another job anyway,somewhere that would appreciate her.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I read this as her boss is an ungrateful pig that needs to be in front of a judge. People need to ban together for this donor. She got the ole' screw job as they say.

What a raw deal. This breaks my heart. I hate to read stories like this. Her boss needs a lesson in humality. What a bunch of garbage. How very offensive she can get away with this.

I am overwhelmed with sadness for this woman who donated a part of herself
to help another just to be stepped on and used.

I hope she will be compensated.

Goz

I'm a kidney donor, so I see this story from a slightly different perspective. Yes, I agree that the boss sounds like a horrible person and an even worse boss. She was given a gift and with that, she should have the common ethics and morals to honour the gift by living each day with the kindness and generosity that she was shown.

But..

A kidney donation is just that - a donation, a gift. It should not be given with any expectation of payback in any form. No strings attached.

I can tell you that living donors go through a rigorous screening process including psychological and social evaluations. Doctors are under oath to do no harm. Taking a healthy person and removing a healthy organ solely for the benefit of the health of another person *is* exposing the donor to harm. The onus is on the *donor* to prove to the transplant team why the transplant team should risk doing harm - possible death - to save the life of a second person.

You have to prove to the transplant team that you are in the position to take on all of the risks involved in donating the organ. Yes, it's painful. You need time to recover. You need to be financially, emotionally, physically, spiritually in the position to give the gift. And you need to be sound enough if things go wrong. It could be that the transplant fails, it could be that the recipient is an a-hole like this boss.

She should focus on the good that she did. Nothing should mar that. Then she should find a new job with a better boss and not look back.

I don't think she expected payback-- just to be treated like a normal person, not to be treated unfairly...

Goz

I read this as her boss is an ungrateful pig that needs to be in front of a judge. People need to ban together for this donor. She got the ole' screw job as they say.

What a raw deal. This breaks my heart. I hate to read stories like this. Her boss needs a lesson in humality. What a bunch of garbage. How very offensive she can get away with this.

Goz

Yeah and getting her bosses name and business name out there doesn't hurt either

No good deed goes unpunished.

What a modsnip.

unbelievable. people like jackie brucia make me sick. i hope she burns in hell. ungrateful b****.

We do have to keep in mind at this point that we are only hearing one side. That when the other side begins talking, that maybe a different story will come out. And that probably the truth will be somewhere in the middle.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall around the water cooler today.

One would hope it doesn't affect sales - much....:what:

her boss deserves a PHONE Call..

Thinking....

Goz

I think what was donated was not her own kidney, but a kidney meant for her. What I think was donated was her place in the line of people awaiting transplants.

I think what was donated was not her own kidney, but a kidney meant for her. What I think was donated was her place in the line of people awaiting transplants.

She did donate a her kidney but it did not go to this woman but moved her up.. ( do not understand the system) from what I gather, not very clear.

Still, this monster deserves some heat, as she is rather ungrateful, no matter how it reads.. She was manipulating her for a kidney and, if the donation of this woman's kidney was to her benefit, she had no right to be rude, to fire her and to abuse her.

Goz

Wow. What an ugly thing to do! You would think she would be grateful and sympathetic towards the donor, wouldn't you?

That picture of her isn't too cute, either! None of us choose our faces, but we can certainly choose our expressions, and this woman's seems to be a window to her personality.

Getting in a limo clutching pink champagne and plastic cups! Wonder what she was celebrating?

We do have to keep in mind at this point that we are only hearing one side. That when the other side begins talking, that maybe a different story will come out. And that probably the truth will be somewhere in the middle.

THIS! I do feel sorry that she lost her job however we don't have any of the details to why she was actually fired. I have been on the side gathering evidence to fire people, and no matter what the reason no one takes responsibility for it. In the last year 3 of our employee's have filed wrongful termination lawsuits (which they lost) in which it was clearly justified termination. MOO

While it is apparent the boss is an ingrate, and a spiteful one at that, the donor in this piece clearly has her own issues. I’m inclined to agree there is another side to this story still to come out. I just question the thinking – or, rather, the lack thereof – that would motivate a mother to put herself so much at risk for someone she really didn’t know all that well, ie not a close friend or family member, and WHY she didn’t fully explore ALL the potential consequences to her own well-being. She didn't know how long the recovery would be? Really? Come on. She didn’t ask the doctors beforehand? They didn’t fully explain all the possible implications? I call BS.

Sounds to me like she made the offer on impulse never thinking she’d be taken up on it and then found herself backed into a corner when asked to make good on her offer. I’m all for a desire to help others and donating an organ is one of the most selfless things one can do IMO but this woman comes across to me as the kind of ‘generous’ I’d rather not be beholden to. Something about her reminds me of people who love to play the heroine/victim/martyr and never let others forget that they are ‘owed’ for favours done.

Yes, she donated her own kidney! That's why she wasn't up to being back at work so soon.

She wasn't a perfect match for her boss, so her kidney was given to someone on the list that she was a 'match' for. In return, her boss was given a kidney that was a perfect match for her.

While it is apparent the boss is an ingrate, and a spiteful one at that, the donor in this piece clearly has her own issues. I’m inclined to agree there is another side to this story still to come out. I just question the thinking – or, rather, the lack thereof – that would motivate a mother to put herself so much at risk for someone she really didn’t know all that well, ie not a close friend or family member, and WHY she didn’t fully explore ALL the potential consequences to her own well-being. She didn't know how long the recovery would be? Really? Come on. She didn’t ask the doctors beforehand? They didn’t fully explain all the possible implications? I call BS.

Sounds to me like she made the offer on impulse never thinking she’d be taken up on it and then found herself backed into a corner when asked to make good on her offer. I’m all for a desire to help others and donating an organ is one of the most selfless things one can do IMO but this woman comes across to me as the kind of ‘generous’ I’d rather not be beholden to. Something about her reminds me of people who love to play the heroine/victim/martyr and never let others forget that they are ‘owed’ for favours done.

I totally disagree w/ you.

Some people are Godly, giving and care. She probably did explore and maybe got sick. Why would it be BS? You come across really strong on this issue.. Why? I am just curious why, not knowing much, you would belittle a person who gave up her kidney? I read stories like this all the time..

I did not know a man, who knew my brother and offered my bone marrow. That does not make it my fault.....I am ill too and thought they may have been able to use it. I am not saint but wanted to give another a chance at life.

When I called to find out, the terms were not for me.
First- the bone marrow was not to go to him
2nd- i did not make the wt. requirement
3rd- I had to pay for the tests to see if i was a match
4th- the meds i took were a contradiction

Sounds like blame the good person here and like someone generous is being called a fool. You have no clue what the woman is like- so what, she got sick....???? That could happen, an unforseen event.
I find what she did generous. Yes, there are two sides and you seem to think the boss is right so it's nice the winner in this situation has an advocate for her. As if she didn't have enough going in her favor, a person of no good will taking a kidney from a donor.

To each his own.

Goz

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah