FL FL - Sheri Lynn Swims, 23, Homestead, 19 Aug 1986

Ms Suzanne

Reaction score
FDLE_seal.gif

GetImage2.asp

Do you have information about a missing or wanted person or believe any of the information below
to be inaccurate?
SEND A TIP

If you have information about a missing or wanted person, do not take action on your own!
Please complete the missing or wanted person Tip Form by clicking on the 'Send a Tip' link or you may contact the reporting agency at (305) 471-8477. [If you wish to report a tip without disclosing your name, you may do so.]

Missing Person

FirstMiddleLastSuffixNameSHERI LYNN SWIMS NicknamesAgency InformationMissing Person CircumstancesReporting AgencyMiami-Dade County Police DepartmentAgency Case Number559353GDate Report Entered01/10/1987Date of Last Contact08/19/1986Person DescriptorsDate of Birth10/30/1962 RaceWHITESexFEMALEHeight5'07Weight124Hair ColorBLOND OR STRAWBERRYEye ColorBLUEScars, Marks or TattoosOccupationLast Known Address
City and State
MIAMI,FLMedical/Caution Information

New SearchReturn To FDLE HomepageReturn To PAS Homepage

She came up missing in 1986 and was reported missing in 1987

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,
I couldn't find anything about this girl on the net. *sigh*
Do you know if there is a picture link of her anywhere?

Prayers for Sheri.
With love and HOPE, Lanie

Hi

There is not alot on her.It's sad.There does not seem to be a picture of her.If any one knew her or has a picture of her or knows where to get one.Please help or post it.I feel at least having her name out there is better than nothing.I really hope and pray we can find a picture of her.

suzanne

Miami-Dade homicide detectives armed with a backhoe gathered at a dome-shaped home in the Redland at first light Tuesday to search for a missing Homestead mother feared murdered in 1986.

Police obtained consent to search for the remains of Sheri Lynn Swims from the homeowner after two specially trained cadaver dogs indicated the presence of human remains in his backyard near a man-made waterfall.

The current homeowner did not reside there when the 23-year-old vanished.

Police think a second murder victim, a man, may also be buried there.

Representatives of a Wilmington, N.C.-based missing-persons group brought the dogs to search on Monday at the request of Swims' family and with the homeowner's permission.

Two police dogs and ground-penetrating radar later confirmed the findings of the private search, according to the homeowner and the searchers.

http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/165794.html

Miami-Dade homicide detectives have stopped digging up a backyard in the Redland after revisiting a decades old cold case in an attempt to solve a possible murder that took place 21 years ago. However, after digging up the yard for hours on Tuesday, detectives came up empty.

On Tuesday morning, detectives brought a backhoe to the Redland home, located at 23595 SW 170th Court, in order to search for the remains of Sherie Lynn Swims. Swims, a Homestead mother, is believed to have been murdered in 1986.

Police thought a second murder victim, a man, may also be buried there.

Cadaver dogs, brought to search the property on Monday, alerted to the presence of human remains in the backyard of the dome-shaped home near a man-made coral rock waterfall.

http://cbs4.com/local/local_story_191103537.html

I just got this in email from Monica @ Cue for the Missing, no link provided.

Search called off for mom who went missing in 1986
Four trained cadaver dogs and ground-penetrating radar indicated the presence of human remains in a backyard, but blood, sweat and tears proved unfruitful in the search for Sheri Lynn Swims.

Miami-Dade homicide detectives dug up a yard in the Redland on Tuesday, searching for a missing Homestead mother feared murdered in 1986.

But after hours of digging with a backhoe, the search was called off. No remains were found.

Police obtained consent to search for the remains of Sheri Lynn Swims from the owner of the dome-shaped house after four specially trained cadaver dogs indicated the presence of human remains in his backyard near a man-made waterfall.

An engineering company hired by police to perform a study of the property also detected ''some voids in the soil pattern,'' according to Miami-Dade police.

Sgt. Charles McCully, of Miami-Dade's cold-case squad, said investigators haven't ruled out that a body is buried there, but have no plans to dig further.

''We dug where [the dogs] alerted,'' he said. ``We can't tear up the man's whole house.''

The current homeowner, residential real estate investor Emilio Mantecon, didn't live there when Swims vanished at age 23.

CONVINCED OF A BODY

The woman who organized the team of volunteer dog handlers that found evidence of human remains on Monday -- working at the request of Swims' family -- is still convinced a body is buried there.

''Our dogs have found human remains before,'' said Monica Caison, founder of the Cue Center for Missing Persons in Wilmington, N.C. ``There is no doubt in my mind that human remains are there.''

Two police dogs and ground-penetrating radar confirmed the findings of Monday's private search.

The police dig on Tuesday focused on a spot on a sloping mound next to the waterfall, where each of the dogs alerted to the scent of human remains. Police dug mostly on the downside of the slope. No digging was done within about 12 feet of the waterfall.

''Scent flows down,'' said Caison, who is credited by police elsewhere with finding buried bodies. ``I wouldn't have gone below the spot where the dogs alerted. I would have gone above it.''

Swims' stepsister, Angie Halsey, who came to watch Tuesday's dig, said police should try again.

''They didn't dig the whole thing up,'' she said.

Police have said in court papers that a second murder victim, an unidentified man, also could be buried there.

This is not the first police search of the property at 23595 SW 170th Ct.

Last December, The Miami Herald reported that a search warrant was issued in December 2003 and that detectives later went to the scene to check out the waterfall after taking a statement from an informant who corroborated earlier information given to police about Swims.

No digging was done at that time, and no dogs were used in a search.

Lawyers for informant Michael Scott Segal said police told them then it would be too costly.

Swims, a waitress with a 6-month-old son, vanished on Aug. 19, 1986, hours after leaving Homestead's DoubleHeader Bar and Grill with a man who has long been a suspect in her disappearance.

Segal, hoping for leniency in an attempted-murder case, told police in 2003 that the suspect once admitted to him he had killed Swims and put her body under the coral rock waterfall at the Redland house with a friend's help.

The 2003 search warrant application said another witness named the same suspect as Swims' killer in 1989.

SECRET DOCKETS

Details of Swims' case have emerged as part of The Miami Herald's investigation of the veiling of hundreds of court cases in Broward and Miami-Dade counties by the use of secret dockets.

News of the aborted search in 2003 and Segal's murder allegations were suppressed for three years by extreme court secrecy that included planting false information in Segal's public court record to shield his cooperation with prosecutors in other matters.

In Florida, it is illegal for anyone to falsify court records. The state Supreme Court is now looking into the practice that prosecutors in Miami-Dade have said went on for two decades.

I need to get some more opinions.. what do you think? who should I ask

I did some digging up in public records. The previous owner owns another property. I wonder if they searched that one too. My theory is that they dug up the bodies and moved them to another location (being the other property they own) right before they sold to the current owner. I see that the same year she went missing, they took out permits to built so much on their property, concrete slab, terrazzo patio and brick/tile/flagstone patio and a pool only to turn around sell/sign over to the current owner in 3 yrs. Not sure if the suspect was the owner's son or grandson but he has an arrest record and is now the current owner of property #2. I hope MDPD or her step sister try to dig again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back