763 users online (90 members and 673 guests)  

Websleuths News

Dull, Scotland - meet Boring, Oregon: a match for all mopes of ennui

The not-so-exciting story of how a Scottish village called Dull
    became twinned with a U.S. town called Boring
    (Daily Mail)
    If you lived in a place with a Dull church, a Dull war memorial and a Dull Highland Adventure Safari would you fancy a trip to a town featuring Boring pubs and Boring restaurants?

That's what lies in store for the residents of the small settlement of Dull in Scotland as the community gears up to formally link with the town of Boring situated in the U.S. some 9,085 miles away.

A bond has been formed between the Scottish village near Aberfeldy in Perthshire and the equally unexciting sounding town in Oregon following talks between Dull and Weem Parish Council and Boring Community Planning Organisation.
    ---
    Boring is too large when compared with Dull to qualify for official twinning status, but the two communities are hoping to create a close bond.

Community council chairman Tommy Pringles joked: 'We might experience traffic incidents when people see the sign by the road.

'Itís bad enough when people stop dead to photograph the signpost for Dull.

'Imagine how many people would do a double-take if it said Welcome to Dull, a Sister Community of Boring?'
    more, including how the whole idea came about in the first place,
    at DM link above (along with Dull Facts and Boring Facts sidebars)

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    The not-so-exciting story of how a Scottish village called Dull
    became twinned with a U.S. town called Boring
    (Daily Mail)

more, including how the whole idea came about in the first place,
    at DM link above (along with Dull Facts and Boring Facts sidebars)
    Dull has a population of 150 and Boring has a population of 13,000....looks like most people prefer a Boring existence to a Dull life.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

I haven't been to Boring Oregon yet. I have been to Drain and Nimrod though!

I've been through Peculiar, Missouri, a number of times.

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I've been through Peculiar, Missouri, a number of times.
    Me too. Nice little town, at least from the highway point of view.

I've also been through Mexico, Missouri. No passport required.

Why can't we have awesome usual names like.....Coolpeople City, Don'tmesswithus Village or Greatplacetolive Town?
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

Once again, wfgodot, your headline trumps that of the "professionals." You have a gift, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by annemc2 View Post
    Once again, wfgodot, your headline trumps that of the "professionals." You have a gift, you know.
    Thanks! I struggled with this one and still am not quite satisfied with the outcome.

My MIL lives in Boring.... And she has pet ducks....