No Arrests In Matthew Owens Beating, Tensions High

It sounds like a long running dispute between neighbors that escalated. And yes the Travonne Martin case probably figured into it, at least as far as an excuse to finally become physical.

LOL interesting comment on the 2.wkrg.com article at Monday at 5:04pm. The person who commented pointed out that in the TM case the shooter was not cauc. he has of hispanic origin. Yet retaliation is seeming to be pointed at a cauc. person.

From that link : Tensions are running high on Delmar Drive.

Before Lauren Vargas' live shot on News 5 at 5:00, a black woman who lives on the street started yelling at Lauren saying the kids are the real victims.

After about 20 of these kids beat this man and put him in ICU. just wow!

Yeah a woman also said that they are trying to raise their kids right. So I guess that is why they joined a mob of people, picked up paint cans chairs and other weapons and beat a man. Trying to set an example for those kids ya know? Letting them know that conflict resolution is not something they need to worry about, making police reports and letting the law handle infractions is not something they need to do as long as there is a mob around.

The Trayvon Martin case figured into in only insomuch as that hotly debated nationally known case gave thugs looking for some sort of excuse for their thuggish behavior, one to hang their hats on.

I will be praying for this victim. So senseless.

I wonder if that woman figured out why this guy doesn't like the kids. :floorlaugh:

The Trayvon Martin case figured into in only insomuch as that hotly debated nationally known case gave thugs looking for some sort of excuse for their thuggish behavior, one to hang their hats on.

I will be praying for this victim. So senseless.

Me too, although I have to admit that after reading up on his violent history, Owens is one of the least sympathetic victims I've seen in awhile. He is hardly just some kid walking home from the 7-11. Still, that doesn't in any way justify vigilante violence and beating someone into a coma. :nono:

It makes you wonder if the Stand Your Ground law would come into play if someone had come out and shot all the thugs doing the attack.

Did these people hold some type of neighborhood meeting? Not one of the 20 people involved spoke up to say that this might not be right? Wow, that's crazy that so many people were involved in this beating. They should arrest every last one of them. This crime was racially motivated to say the least. IMO

It sounds like a long running dispute between neighbors that escalated. And yes the Travonne Martin case probably figured into it, at least as far as an excuse to finally become physical.

LOL interesting comment on the 2.wkrg.com article at Monday at 5:04pm. The person who commented pointed out that in the TM case the shooter was not cauc. he has of hispanic origin. Yet retaliation is seeming to be pointed at a cauc. person.

Hispanics can be of any race, including Caucasian. Just for the record.

I don't know anything about George Zimmerman's racial background.

Did these people hold some type of neighborhood meeting? Not one of the 20 people involved spoke up to say that this might not be right? Wow, that's crazy that so many people were involved in this beating. They should arrest every last one of them. This crime was racially motivated to say the least. IMO

Just curious, but do you think there was any racial motivation behind the victim's reported racial slurs toward those kids, not to mention threatening them with a kitchen knife?

The mayor of Mobile, Ala. said Tuesday that the brutal beating of Matthew Owens was not a hate crime, as new details emerge implicating the victim as the instigator.
About 20 African American adults beat Owens into critical condition on Saturday night after an argument between the victim and some kids at a local basketball court, witnesses said.
One person claimed that Owens spewed racial slurs at the group and even pulled out two knives, according to WPMI.
"It was like kitchen knives," witness David Dinkins told the station. "They were long."
Another witness, Lemicka Whisenhunt, quoted Owens as saying "he's going to lynch all the black kids, he hates black n---ers, he hates that we moved on this street."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...e-crime-trayvon-martin-alabama_n_1452096.html

Just curious, but do you think there was any racial motivation behind the victim's reported racial slurs toward those kids, not to mention threatening them with a kitchen knife?

Probably was IMO. It's unfortunate they had to stoop to his level and mob attack him though because what everyone is going to see as the big story is that 20 black people beat a white guy into a coma. Sometimes doing the right thing means biting your tongue and taking the long way to the goal. What he did was not right, but what they did was WAY WAY WAY overkill. So now instead of getting some justice against this guy they are going to go to jail for beating him. How does that serve the interest of their kids? Not to mention, they just jumped headfirst into the stereotype.

ETA: In my limited view I do see this as a hate crime. It appears to have been instigated by the guy acting aggressive and threatening the kids due to their race. The mob reacted to that, escalating it even. So they may not have started the 'hate crime' but they certainly did join in and finished it.

I think the guy is a little whacked out if he went outside with knives, but I do believe these people should be charged with attempted murder and he should sue them in a civil court for damages. Its just unfortunate is some neighborhoods when something happens everyone becomes deaf, dumb and blind. We have several cases in our county where no one saw anything, sure they didn't. When the police arrive crowds surround them and yelled obnoxious things at the police who are trying get information to make arrests. Its horrible for the police force.

they need to arrest ALL of the attackers, and yes, this is a hate crime. IMO

Hey, the guy was white. No hate crime there, but hopefully there will be some arrests, - who knows?

The original link / story is being continually updated.

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2012/apr/23/83/man-beaten-mob-critical-condition-ar-3659891/

Latest: Thursday 6:45 p.m

"Rawls surrendered yesterday on an assault charge. He is one of four arrests expected in the beating case.

Meanwhile, Owens' sister is changing her story about what happened in the moments leading up to the beating that landed her brother in the hospital. But police are not buying it.

Ashley Parker now tells News 5, neighborhood kids intentionally threw a basketball into her yard, hoping to get closer to the house and steal something off the porch.

But police say that's not what she told them, nor what they've heard from witnesses, Owens or Rawls.

Police maintain the kids were playing basketball when a ball rolled into Parker's yard. When they asked permission to retrieve the ball for a second time, Police say Owens said something that made Rawls and the rest of the mob angry.

People living in the neighborhood woke up to find racist flyers littering their lawns.

The flyers are actually an Aryan newsletter from 3 years ago. Police believe white supremacists are trying to take advantage of the racialy charged atmosphere to stir up more bad feelings."

There are many more updates to that article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back