Thread: Teens getting drunk on Hand Sanitizer

Teens getting drunk on Hand Sanitizer

I saw this being covered on GMA this morning and gagged.

Gross and very dangerous. Apparently, hand sanitizer is the new cough medicine, in that it is legal for teens to access and yet can be misused to achieve a sort of drunk.

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...hand-sanitizer

There's a new dangerous trend among teenagers -- trying to get drunk by guzzling hand sanitizer, the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles reports. Recently, 16 teens in the Los Angeles area have been treated for alcohol poisoning after drinking the cheap liquid.
    Five years ago I wandered in here because of a google search on Haleigh Cummings. "Welcome," folks said "look around a bit, sit a spell." It wasn't long before I found Caylee's threads. It was just that simple.

If you are new to the site allow me to say, "welcome. Look around a bit, sit a spell."

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:

Oh this is so gross. And I thought the cheap vodka I drank in college tasted like rubbing alcohol....
    “Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

In no way should any of my statements be construed as legal opinion or advice. I am a newly practicing lawyer (yay!) but not a verified poster here at WS. The above statement(s) are an expression of my personal opinion, for entertainment purposes only, and copyright.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to AnaTeresa For This Useful Post:

I can't even stand the smell of the alcohol in the hand sanitizer, gack, I cannot even imagine the taste. Apparently there are videos of young people doing this on youtube but I really have no wish to see it first hand so I will not link them here.
    Five years ago I wandered in here because of a google search on Haleigh Cummings. "Welcome," folks said "look around a bit, sit a spell." It wasn't long before I found Caylee's threads. It was just that simple.

If you are new to the site allow me to say, "welcome. Look around a bit, sit a spell."

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:

thank you - I had no idea (and have a teen). I shared on my FB - knowledge is power!

Mel

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Melanie For This Useful Post:

Does 16 kids in one metropolitan area really constitute a "trend"?

Granted, that's 16 kids too many, but I'm not inclined to panic that this will become a widespread practice among America's youth. Reminds me of the recent stories about kids soaking tampons in vodka and, well, you know. Doesn't seem like that one really took off either, and I can't IMAGINE why.

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Velouria For This Useful Post:

Perhaps you are right. But with youtube and twitter and facebook being teens main form of communication it only takes minutes for something to become a "trend" nowadays

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tlcya For This Useful Post:

From paint/marker sniffing to aerosol huffing to bath salts (still not clear on what that one entails) to this. Is society raising really stupid kids or what?

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LadyL For This Useful Post:

Yuck! They put stuff in hand sanitizers to make it taste really bad to keep toddlers from eating it. I guess teens aren't as smart as toddlers.

"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler".

Albert Einstein

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.

Mahatma Gandhi

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Yuck! They put stuff in hand sanitizers to make it taste really bad to keep toddlers from eating it. I guess teens aren't as smart as toddlers.
    You got that right!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NoraEltrain For This Useful Post:

ewww that is gross.

do you know you can use HS instead of gel fuel in gel fuel lamps and/or fireplaces/firepits? Yup, ya just refill the cans 3/4 way.

that makes it even more gross (the fact they drink it). i just dont get todays kids...

GELFUEL EXAMPLES
    http://www.northlineexpress.com/cust...UG-263845-24-K

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0...=1221404101000

LOVE THIS ONE-The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tilmylastbreath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    From paint/marker sniffing to aerosol huffing to bath salts (still not clear on what that one entails) to this. Is society raising really stupid kids or what?
    I don't think kids are any more stupid today than they used to be. When I think of the stupid stuff my friends and I did... Huffing has been a problem at least since my parents were teens (model airplane glue anyone?).

I think stories like these are good to have in your arsenal of knowledge, but not sure I would be putting my hand sanitizer under lock and key. If I notice that someone is using a lot of it I would stop buying it.

Apparently they put it in strong flavored drinks (coffee and kool-aid were 2 examples) to keep out the bad taste, but I agree that it sounds atrocious.
    Please help find Gerry Largay, 66, missing on the Appalachian Trail in Maine.
    http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article/25...ssing-in-Maine

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to angelmom For This Useful Post:

When I was working for a school district, a parent brought me a printed off email about kids getting drunk off of hand sanitizer. That has been 5 years ago, I don't think this is really a new thing.

And I'm with the person who said they cannot stand the smell of the alcohol in hand sanitizer. Yuck!!!! I use Witch Hazel as a make-up remover and it reeks of alcohol as well. I thought I was going to puke the first time I used it.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to davehead21 For This Useful Post:

This is totally insane. I would think the taste would be terrible and steer them clear of this. It sounds rather dangerous.

I know for years teens have indulged in various things. We had glue sniffing so many years back and paint huffing.

I don't use chemicals and I try to avoid them at any cost. I can't imagine anyone getting passed the smell.

Goz

Quote Originally Posted by Gozgals View Post
    This is totally insane. I would think the taste would be terrible and steer them clear of this. It sounds rather dangerous.

I know for years teens have indulged in various things. We had glue sniffing so many years back and paint huffing.

I don't use chemicals and I try to avoid them at any cost. I can't imagine anyone getting passed the smell.

Goz
    I'm with you. We are having the house painted right now and there was some extensive wall repair needed in one of the rooms where we had a leak. I could barely sleep last night because I felt like I was suffocating!
    Please help find Gerry Largay, 66, missing on the Appalachian Trail in Maine.
    http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article/25...ssing-in-Maine

27. The Following User Says Thank You to angelmom For This Useful Post:

I wish these kids realized they are not getting drunk, they are poisoning themselves. I don't know how they can even stand the taste, I have accidentally got some in my mouth after using it on my hands and brushed my teeth and used mouth wash several times to get rid of the taste and I could still taste it, I would rather wash my mouth out with soap before getting that in my mouth again. The sad part is why are these kids feeling the need to get high at such a young age? They are in need of help and our over worked under payed health care system can't afford to help them.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

29. The Following User Says Thank You to legalmania For This Useful Post:

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    What do these kids NOT ingest to try to get high or drunk?! Have they nothing better to do with their time??

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by davehead21 View Post
    When I was working for a school district, a parent brought me a printed off email about kids getting drunk off of hand sanitizer. That has been 5 years ago, I don't think this is really a new thing.

And I'm with the person who said they cannot stand the smell of the alcohol in hand sanitizer. Yuck!!!! I use Witch Hazel as a make-up remover and it reeks of alcohol as well. I thought I was going to puke the first time I used it.
    OH no I hope some kid doesn't get a bright idea to try Witch Hazel, I've heard of it but never used it. Thanks for the warning.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

32. The Following User Says Thank You to legalmania For This Useful Post:

UGH, its all gross...wth is wrong with these kids. today; the worse you are or crazier you are...the cooler you are.

wow.

LOVE THIS ONE-The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    Gross and very dangerous. Apparently, hand sanitizer is the new cough medicine...
    My best friends child just OD on Triple C (Skittles) so the cough meds are still pretty popular unfortunately. Apparently this is a problem on HS campuses, yet I only heard of it when my friend called me from ER. I had to explain to my boys never to take anything a "friend" gives them, even if they say have a couple of skittles.

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/dr...m/dextro_m.htm

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fivekidz4me For This Useful Post: