1543 users online (252 members and 1291 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

CA - Guillermo Pino, 26, Anza-Borrego State Park, 8 April 2012

Thank you Ninety5rpm!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/hiker...esert-16124785

Hiker Missing in California Desert
    Guillermo Pino, 26, got separated from friends in the Anza-Borrego State Park.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/hiker-26-mi...ry?id=16126388
    Hiker Missing in Desert Could Still Be Alive: Police
    A new air-and-ground search was launched today for the 26-year-old hiker who disappeared in a Southern California desert on Sunday while camping with his family.

Guillermo Pino could have fallen into a mud cave or down a ravine in the "challenging" terrain of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. The park, which is the largest state park in California, covers some 600,000 acres and is filled with mud caves, steep dirt trails and ravines.

Pino was last seen Sunday April 8th around noon while camping in the park with his family. Pino apparently got lost after separating from a group of family and friends.

Pertinent facts are:
    1.GP was camping and hiking with family and friends in the "mud caves" area of Arroyo Tapiado
    2.GP is 24 years old and weighs 180 pounds, reportedly in good shape (cross country runner) with no health issues
    3.There are 22 known caves in the area, some longer than 1000 feet.
    4.The mud caves form when the particular kind of soil is very wet and collapses on top of a slot canyon dug down by rare torrential rains. So, generally, they are single tubes a few hundred feet long. There are "rooms" in some that can be as wide as 35' and as high as 80', but there are also places so narrow you can barely squeeze through. Crawling is often required to get through. However, these are not the types of caves that are miles long with endless forks that form serpentine mazes in which one could be lost wandering for days.
    5.GP was last seen, around noon, up on top of the mud caves, having climbed out of a "sink hole" in "Hidden Cave" using a rope.
    6.When he was last seen, he had no shoes, water, food or flashlight, and was asking others to bring his shoes
    7.Despite an intensive search involving up to 150 searchers and dog teams, no trace of him has been found.
    8.The official search has been suspended.
    Last edited by imamaze; 04-25-2012 at 08:20 PM.

There are many very perplexing aspects to this case, not the least of which is the lack of a plausible theoretical explanation for what might have happened, much less one supported by the evidence.

The big three potential explanations are:

1) Something natural happened to him (cave-in, fell into a sink hole, mountain lion, got lost in cave and couldn't find way out).
    2) He chose to disappear.
    3) Foul play is involved.

None of these seem plausible given the situation and the inability for search teams with dogs to find any trace of him.

1) He was without shoes or flashlight, so he wouldn't have intentionally gone very far, or very far into any cave. If there was a cave-in or something, there should have been some evidence of that, dogs should have been able to sniff him out, etc. The caves are not long or complex enough to be the type you get lost in. Basically if you just go "downstream" you'll come out in the arroyo. Can a mountain lion drag a 180 pound man very far? Without leaving a trace?
    2) He's camping with friends and family out in the desert wilderness miles from the nearest paved road and he chooses to disappear, barefoot and without a vehicle? Makes no sense.
    3) Both a conspiracy by family and friends and an attack by a stranger out in the middle of nowhere where it would be almost impossible to remain unnoticed, much less to leave with someone else, without leaving a trace or a even scent that dogs could follow, is not plausible.

So, then, what could have happened to him? Aliens?

Guillermo Pino could have fallen into a mud cave or down a ravine in the "challenging" terrain of Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, according to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. The park, which is the largest state park in California, covers some 600,000 acres and is filled with mud caves, steep dirt trails and ravines.
    This paragraph is misleading.

While it's true that the entire park is that big, the entire park is not filled with mud caves. The mud caves are all located in one small area of the badlands. There are 22 caves concentrated in this one area.

If he had left in the morning with a backpack, foot, water, and good boots, he could end up anywhere within a 10-20 mile radius of where he started within a day. But, again, he had no shoes, no food, no water. Where would he go? Why would he go? The likely radius of how far he would go is maybe a few hundred feet.

I go to these caves. They aren't brain surgery to get through and the biggest danger is a cave in from the top. This was Easter Sunday. This park had a lot of people wandering around.

Things that someone should have noticed:
    Any cave in. These are obvious and trained rescue workers went over these caves.
    None found.
    A guy running around without shoes. Not normal in this terrain.

Things that could have happened:
    Might have wandered away, but should have realized he was getting lost and returned the way he came. Anyone who was "experienced" should not have gotten lost there. There were too many people around.
    Fallen into an unknown cave (extremely hard to believe, but can't rule that out)
    Asked for a ride from someone, either because he thought his family got lost coming back or because he chose to leave. Easy to get a ride. There was not much coverage about him being missing, someone from out of town who might have given him a ride may still not know this.
    Got into a fatal accident, i.e. someone hit him with an ATV, freaked out and hauled him off.) Not likely, again because there were a lot of people there.
    Ran into actual foul play (but cannot imagine for what reason)

I just cannot see the experienced rescue cavers missing a cave in, which would be the most likely scenario since he was left on top near a sink hole. I also cannot understand why he would not have shoes (I wouldn't travel with a person who would not wear shoes while hiking in the desert- I would consider them mentally unbalanced) and purposely ask family members to go without him to get him shoes unless he planned to disappear. And I don't understand anyone staying anywhere out of sight alone in the desert (unless it is behind a bush for obvious reasons).

For my money, a really odd occurrence. It feels really off.
    Last edited by Ghostwheel; 04-28-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: fixed typos
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm View Post
    There are many very perplexing aspects to this case, not the least of which is the lack of a plausible theoretical explanation for what might have happened, much less one supported by the evidence.
    2) He chose to disappear.
    This is the scenario that is the most plausible. Some reports say that Guillermo Pino Jr. was taking a year off before finishing his psychology degree. So a plausible scenario could be:
    He was afraid he could not finish his degree and was too ashamed to admit it to his family. He decided to leave and start a new life elsewhere, arranged with a friend to come pick him up, or caught a ride with someone leaving the park, with any number of reasonable reasons (ATV died, ran out of gas, got misplaced from camp-taken back to a place where he could catch another ride, etc).

Far-fetched, but plausible. (It's happened before)
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

His sister reported that he had been searching caves with his shoes on. He then climbed barefoot to the top of a cliff. He yelled to her to bring his shoes up to him - when she arrived with the shoes he was gone. Doesn't sound like he ran off or a mountain lion got him. Most likely he fell into a hole and is obscured and will never be found.

Very little info on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulette View Post
    His sister reported that he had been searching caves with his shoes on. He then climbed barefoot to the top of a cliff. He yelled to her to bring his shoes up to him - when she arrived with the shoes he was gone. Doesn't sound like he ran off or a mountain lion got him. Most likely he fell into a hole and is obscured and will never be found.

Very little info on him.
    See, that is what is odd. It was also reported that the sister and others just went back inside the caves to cool off-no mention of getting shoes-and when they came out he was gone. It has also been reported that it was only a short time, 15 minutes or so. Had he fallen into a hole in that time, they would have heard something. So the timing is off somehow and means he could have traveled farther than originally thought. Cave ins are really noticeable from the top. This is desert terrain, there aren't trees or bushes to cover up holes, just collapsed mud chunks. (like gravel, only dirt)

The terrain is like this. Traveling on the top is dangerous, but I would think with all the experienced cavers searching, they would definitely find a hole without a cave in, and latch on to cave-in anomaly.

Just the facts, Ma'am.

OMG! Doesn't that mudhole just send shivers down your spine?

Really, how far could he have walked without shoes? If he was asking for his shoes to be brought up to him, his feet were probably hurting and burning up.

I just started my garden - digging a hole for a plant, all the dirt from the sides of the hole kept falling back in the hole. Dry dirt does that. Could he have fallen into a hole and the loose dirt or gravel just filled in the hole? It's hardly noticeable - looks very natural, and not at all like the hole has been filled in.

The only other thing that makes any sense is that he was taken by car out of the park.

Thanks for the picture - a real horror.

Just found a facebook page for the search. A massive effort was put forth by searchers from air and land. No trace was ever found - searches were suspended on the 17th.
    Last edited by Paulette; 04-28-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: add sentence

I don't believe in aliens - but seriously, WHAT could have happened to this guy?

How sad! Hope he is found soon. The barefoot thing gets me. Even if he had his shoes off for a few minutes. Personally, I'd be terrified of scorpions, bugs, spiders, snakes and who knows what else, attacking my feet. Strange
    Seeking Justice for those who can't. There has been justice for Jhessye!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulette View Post
    OMG! Doesn't that mudhole just send shivers down your spine?

Really, how far could he have walked without shoes? If he was asking for his shoes to be brought up to him, his feet were probably hurting and burning up.

I just started my garden - digging a hole for a plant, all the dirt from the sides of the hole kept falling back in the hole. Dry dirt does that. Could he have fallen into a hole and the loose dirt or gravel just filled in the hole? It's hardly noticeable - looks very natural, and not at all like the hole has been filled in.

The only other thing that makes any sense is that he was taken by car out of the park.

Thanks for the picture - a real horror.

Just found a facebook page for the search. A massive effort was put forth by searchers from air and land. No trace was ever found - searches were suspended on the 17th.
    LE suspended search, but volunteers search on. They are still searching this weekend.

I know what you mean about garden dirt, but this isn't quite the same. Not saying it couldn't happen, just that it would most likely be noticeable. Looking at the pictures I pointed to, you can see that there is a little mud gravel, but it gets stepped on and blown away over the course of time. A new cave in would be, well, gravelly-not worn down or blown around. That should be noticeable to the cavers who frequent the area (some of whom are helping search)

No one has ever gone missing in this area like this as far back as I can remember. So help me, if he shows up alive with something in his neck, I will be grateful for aliens.
    Just the facts, Ma'am.

IMO - The search party should employ Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury of the program Dual Survival, Discovery Channel, if they aren't already there searching.

Cody never wears shoes in these types of extreme environmental survival challenges.
    Last edited by concentric; 04-29-2012 at 08:13 AM.

I've seen that show - how he can stand to walk around without shoes is beyond me. They would be perfect searchers. The FB page noted many search groups that specialize in this type of terrain. Also park rangers - they would know the area the best - and still nothing!

I believe he's not far from where he was last seen. The heat and burning feet limit travel.

I didn't see a link for his missing website:

http://www.findpinojr.com/informationnewsupdates.html

They give coordinates for where he was last seen:

Last known location:
    - Arroyo Tapiado Mudcaves, Anza
    Borrego Desert.
    - Specifically on top of "Hidden Cave" after rope
    climbing through a shaft located inside the cave.
    - GPS coordinates of
    "Hidden Cave" entrance: Latitude (decimal): 32.926979, Longitude (decimal):

I found a youtube user that has what appears to be his own video's of Hidden cave. I think he might have a few curse words in there. I haven't watched them all but I think I heard an "f" word so if anyone is offended by that language ~ be advised.

Just posting to get a feel for the area. If it's not the correct cave please let me know and I will either delete the link or have a mod do it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/a417susp?feature=watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast