Page 19 of 81 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 1210
  1. #271
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,679
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    It is interesting that he was allowed to walk in the graduation ceremony in December though. So that is why he had the party, since he accepted the diploma on stage. Didn't many people here criticize him for having that party, calling him deceitful, dishonest, and narcisstic? I don't see anything wrong with it if the school is allowing him to walk during the graduation ceremony.
    This is not uncommon.

    They can walk up but don't actually receive a diploma/degree et al.

    That would be mailed after they had completed the program requirements.

    I as well see nothing wrong with it.


  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Allusonz For This Useful Post:


  3. #272
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,667
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    It is interesting that he was allowed to walk in the graduation ceremony in December though. So that is why he had the party, since he accepted the diploma on stage. Didn't many people here criticize him for having that party, calling him deceitful, dishonest, and narcisstic? I don't see anything wrong with it if the school is allowing him to walk during the graduation ceremony.
    I am one of those people! I have also said that it makes me feel better KNOWING that he did actually walk across a stage for graduation... even though he didn't graduate, but it does make it a little less "event coordinator" ISH.

    However... If my niece was walking and not getting an actual diploma.. she wouldn't get what she was getting for graduating! Actually, she wouldn't get anything!

    MOO
    Justice for Trayvon


  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LolaMoon08 For This Useful Post:


  5. #273
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Central Illinois
    Posts
    10,902
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    It is interesting that he was allowed to walk in the graduation ceremony in December though. So that is why he had the party, since he accepted the diploma on stage. Didn't many people here criticize him for having that party, calling him deceitful, dishonest, and narcisstic? I don't see anything wrong with it if the school is allowing him to walk during the graduation ceremony.
    Who was the source of that little tidbit, Francis Taaffe?


  6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Fessel For This Useful Post:


  7. #274
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near The Smoky Mts In Tn
    Posts
    38,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Fessel View Post
    Did I hear the faint sound of feathers flying?
    Carry on



    In The Forest With The Top Down


  8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to christee For This Useful Post:


  9. #275
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,667
    Graduating, like actually graduating, is a big deal! It is one of the proudest moments in life -- I remember mine like it was yesterday. I actually walked up on stage and received an actual diploma. There was no "*" by my name or a blank piece of paper being handed to me! It was a diploma! There will be no "*" by my nieces name either!

    MOO
    Justice for Trayvon


  10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LolaMoon08 For This Useful Post:


  11. #276
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,679
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaMoon08 View Post
    I am one of those people! I have also said that it makes me feel better KNOWING that he did actually walk across a stage for graduation... even though he didn't graduate, but it does make it a little less "event coordinator" ISH.

    However... If my niece was walking and not getting an actual diploma.. she wouldn't get what she was getting for graduating! Actually, she wouldn't get anything!

    MOO
    Many times when I come across this situation prior to a graduation ceremony I am informed that maybe a student was very close to finishing a program, may simply have a paper to finish, it is usually not a core course within the program, and I ultimately take a number of things into considersation. I will look at the transcripts, attendance, etc.

    Many wish to graduate with the people that they have attended the programs with. My criteria is tough but is as well the same across the board for every student as to whether they get to walk or not.


  12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Allusonz For This Useful Post:


  13. #277
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,667
    Quote Originally Posted by Allusonz View Post
    Many times when I come across this situation prior to a graduation ceremony I am informed that maybe a student was very close to finishing a program, may simply have a paper to finish, it is usually not a core course within the program, and I ultimately take a number of things into considersation. I will look at the transcripts, attendance, etc.

    Many wish to graduate with the people that they have attended the programs with. My criteria is tough but is as well the same across the board for every student as to whether they get to walk or not.
    I respect that. I really do, but my niece, since she entered Kindergarden, knew she would be graduating. She would not only be graduating, but she would be going to College. It is paid for. Her parents used the pre-pay plans.

    However, if she EVER chooses to drop out or simply decides at the last minute that she does not want to go to College, that money, will be donated to a child that wants to go to College. She will not be able to collect that money. Her parents will give it away to another child before they give it to her to waste on something else.

    Graduating, in my family, has always been a big deal. It really is one of those moments when you feel on top of the world. Nothing matches it! It, IMO, would feel a little empty knowing that you were not actually getting a diploma?

    MOO
    Justice for Trayvon


  14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LolaMoon08 For This Useful Post:


  15. #278
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,579
    Quote Originally Posted by LolaMoon08 View Post
    I respect that. I really do, but my niece, since she entered Kindergarden, knew she would be graduating. She would not only be graduating, but she would be going to College. It is paid for. Her parents used the pre-pay plans.

    However, if she EVER chooses to drop out or simply decides at the last minute that she does not want to go to College, that money, will be donated to a child that wants to go to College. She will not be able to collect that money. Her parents will give it away to another child before they give it to her to waste on something else.

    Graduating, in my family, has always been a big deal. It really is one of those moments when you feel on top of the world. Nothing matches it! It, IMO, would feel a little empty knowing that you were not actually getting a diploma?

    MOO
    Sometimes things happen. I can sympathize with that, myself. I'm graduating after a lot of my peers because I joined the military and consequently my college was delayed a little. And then I had to take an entire semester off last fall to attend pre-deployment training for two months, with an expected arrival date in Iraq of February this year. Fortunately, the SOFA agreement held up, but that's neither here nor there. Sometimes, "real life" (as I call it) gets in the way. Not everyone is able to complete college in the allotted amount of time, especially if the parents were not as insightful as the ones you mentioned and put a lot of money aside to begin with. I've had to cut down my course load some semesters just because I can't afford the insane spikes in tuition (and I'm going to a state school), and that further delays graduation.

    And then, if I had paid a non-refundable fee for graduation, purchased my cap and gown, sent out invitations, and for whatever reason I wound up a class shy... You bet I'd still walk if I was given the chance, knowing I'd just take the class next semester and be done with it. You can characterize it as "feeling empty", but in truth, after working towards the goal for so long... It's just the opposite. And I think that shunning Zimmerman for doing such a thing sends a negative message to anyone else who may be in that position and is just honestly striving to fulfill their educational desires. There's plenty to criticize him for without having to patronize or trivialize his attempt to get a college degree.

    ETA: This wasn't necessarily all directed at you, lola. I just piggybacked off of your post.


  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m00c0w For This Useful Post:


  17. #279
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Central Illinois
    Posts
    10,902
    OT Is it just me or is Google down? I can't sign in at youtube or get google news.


  18. #280
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,579
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Fessel View Post
    OT Is it just me or is Google down? I can't sign in at youtube or get google news.
    Works fer me. Well, the SSL sites, anyway.

    https://www.google.com


  19. The Following User Says Thank You to m00c0w For This Useful Post:


  20. #281
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    2,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Fessel View Post
    Probably sprinkler control boxes or water meters. Most now days have plastic lids.
    I am pretty sure those are water meter boxes made of concrete. Looks exactly like the ones where I live. You can see 3 of them in this other picture, they appear to be evenly spaced down the row of units.
    Attached Images Attached Images


  21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cher352 For This Useful Post:


  22. #282
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Fessel View Post
    Who was the source of that little tidbit, Francis Taaffe?
    Am I the only one that noticed that many of the "facts" noted in the Reuters article match previous stories told by FT and GZ's family during their media tours? Call me a cynic, but I don't believe he actually walked in the graduation, there are conflicting stories about his major and I will take the information from the College (General Studies) to be true. Suddenly everyone in his life was black. At 18 he was going into insurance to work with his godfather, who had started a million dollar business (according to what he said in high school), but in this article it turned into an Allstate satellite office where he had a black partner? Allstate offices don't fail, for one thing, and he never mentioned being a partner and find it suspicious that the partner was black. The great grandfather is now black, I believe that conflicts with the stories told by RZ Sr. And black children were in the house every day when GZ was growing up? I could go on and on, but IMO, this article smells of the creative license taken by those trying to make GZ look good in the media. One would hope the writer would have vetted the information before publishing it as fact. Poor Saint George, lover of all black people, could not possibly have selected Trayvon due to his race. And he only bought a gun because he was told to by authorities, the evil dog was stalking his family?!! One sick puppy, and I don't mean the dog. IMHO, MOO.



  23. #283
    Etilema's Avatar
    Etilema is offline Being kind to the cruel results in being cruel to the kind.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,007
    Quote Originally Posted by BiancaS View Post
    Am I the only one that noticed that many of the "facts" noted in the Reuters article match previous stories told by FT and GZ's family during their media tours? Call me a cynic, but I don't believe he actually walked in the graduation, there are conflicting stories about his major and I will take the information from the College (General Studies) to be true. Suddenly everyone in his life was black. At 18 he was going into insurance to work with his godfather, who had started a million dollar business (according to what he said in high school), but in this article it turned into an Allstate satellite office where he had a black partner? Allstate offices don't fail, for one thing, and he never mentioned being a partner and find it suspicious that the partner was black. The great grandfather is now black, I believe that conflicts with the stories told by RZ Sr. And black children were in the house every day when GZ was growing up? I could go on and on, but IMO, this article smells of the creative license taken by those trying to make GZ look good in the media. One would hope the writer would have vetted the information before publishing it as fact. Poor Saint George, lover of all black people, could not possibly have selected Trayvon due to his race. And he only bought a gun because he was told to by authorities, the evil dog was stalking his family?!! One sick puppy, and I don't mean the dog. IMHO, MOO.
    And let's not forget the elephant in the room that of course GZ would go after Trayvon because of the burglaries being done by"black boys".

    I totally agree that this was an extremely slanted story, made worse by the fact that sources were not cited. It really irritates me, because they could have printed the exact same info with sources.

    JMO

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD


  24. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Etilema For This Useful Post:


  25. #284
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    It is interesting that he was allowed to walk in the graduation ceremony in December though. So that is why he had the party, since he accepted the diploma on stage. Didn't many people here criticize him for having that party, calling him deceitful, dishonest, and narcisstic? I don't see anything wrong with it if the school is allowing him to walk during the graduation ceremony.
    I am one of those people and I don't think the school should allow it either. This is not my opinion re GZ, it's an opinion I stated to the provost of the college where I taught years ago.


  26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LynnM For This Useful Post:


  27. #285
    Kimberlyd125's Avatar
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,856
    Wouldn't facts match after interviewing family, friends, and coworkers, if they are facts?

    I find nothing strange about the facts on the article matching facts given by GZ's friends and family that have spoken publicly.

    JMO
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

    Softball Mom


  28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:


Page 19 of 81 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #23
    By beach in forum George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin General Discussion threads
    Replies: 907
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 11:06 AM
  2. 17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #21
    By imamaze in forum George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin General Discussion threads
    Replies: 1211
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM
  3. 17 y/o Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #20
    By ynotdivein in forum George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin General Discussion threads
    Replies: 946
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 05:58 PM
  4. FL 17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #11
    By beach in forum George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin General Discussion threads
    Replies: 1090
    Last Post: 03-31-2012, 08:26 AM
  5. 17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #9
    By ynotdivein in forum George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin General Discussion threads
    Replies: 1763
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 08:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •