Attorney for Cox family asks for police files in Susan Powell case

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
An attorney for the parents of Susan Cox Powell has filed a formal request with both the West Valley City Police Department and the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department in Tacoma, Wash., to review all investigative files related to the missing woman’s case.

Anne Bremner, a Seattle attorney who represents Chuck and Judy Cox, filed the requests this week under Utah’s Government Records Access and Management Act and Washington’s Public Records Act for "complete copies of any and all investigative files concerning the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell."

The request states that the documents are being sought by the Cox family "in potential litigation in which they may seek civil redress in connection with Susan’s disappearance on Dec. 6, 2009."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54004212-78/powell-request-records-font.html.csp

he request states that the documents are being sought by the Cox family "in potential litigation in which they may seek civil redress in connection with Susan’s disappearance on Dec. 6, 2009."
I certainly hope they do. And that things get changed because of this. Something good has to come from this...and while it's too late for Susan and the boys (and it should NEVER have been too late for the boys), the lessons are begging to be learned.

Best-
Herding Cats

So even tho the Coxes and many others believe SP has knowledge and may have helped JP...or did it himself, they are willing to throw any further investigation into Susan's disappearance away?

Not sure I agree with it, but really interested to see how it all plays out.

As someone who works for a state agency, I can tell you this is a BIG deal. State-level agencies are accustomed to responding to these requests, but county and city agencies are not. For someone to request all the files of a PD is, I think, exceptional, for sure. I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

Funny, everyone wants transparency until it could involve us individually....and, of course, we all deal with state, county, city agencies...so who knows when our name might pop up.

imo

So even tho the Coxes and many others believe SP has knowledge and may have helped JP...or did it himself, they are willing to throw any further investigation into Susan's disappearance away?

Not sure I agree with it, but really interested to see how it all plays out.

IDK, hollyblue. Really, what has the family gained by supporting LE so far? They did. They gave LE ALL their support during the whole "thing." For what? To be kept in the dark and essentially lied to?

I'm just bouncing off your post. Not expecting you to provide answers as I know you can't...I just wonder...what do they have to lose...?

imo

Wow! is all I can say.

Susan did every single thing she could to save her marriage.

Ok, question.......... IF LE had access to these emails, why the heck did they allow Josh access to his kids?

Seriously, why? .......... Why didn't the Utah police tell the Washington authorities, that the suspect was BI polar? :eek:

I had NO idea he was. That's why I didn't think he'd do anything to the kids. If I'd seen these, I definitely would be screaming for DHS to step in and demand JP see a doctor, ASAP!

Josh should have not seen these kids anywhere except the state facility.

Good grief!

:mad:
JMHO
fran

It hurts me that Susan had to go to the Bishop and get a food order; she was a hard worker and was exhausted while josh did not and would not even provide food for his family.

:waitasec:

The emails were provided to The Tribune a few days after the woman vanished in 2009, but the newspaper agreed not to publish them at the request of the provider, who feared their contents might be an invasion of Susan’s privacy or interfere with the police investigation of her case.

I question who the "provider" of these emails is...and their intention...based upon the content, why would they provide them to the newspaper and not to LE...was the "provider" paid for this info?

Maybe I need to calm down ;) and re-read....

:waitasec:

I question who the "provider" of these emails is...and their intention...based upon the content, why would they provide them to the newspaper and not to LE...was the "provider" paid for this info?

Maybe I need to calm down ;) and re-read....

She/he probably did provide them to LE, or at least offered them. And I don't think the Trib pays for stuff like that. I don't know of any legit newspaper that does. That is more a national magazine thing. The newspapers are all about bankrupt and can't afford it, and besides, it is not considered clean journalism when you pay.

For those of you who have access.

Anne Bremner ‏ @annembremner

Retweet
Favorite
· Open

I will be talking on KIRO News tonight about the latest in the Powell investigation.
Tweeted 30 minutes ago

OMG and these would not be all the emails.

How much worse can this get?

Coxes share frustration over dealings with West Valley police

(a snip and more at link)
"We've asked for the evidence that they have, and we want to know what's really going on," Chuck Cox said. "Essentially, we found that we've been told nothing more than the mainstream press, sometimes less."
After Susan's disappearance, the relationship between her parents and West Valley City police has become strained. The Coxes feel Susan's husband, Josh Powell, should have been arrested early on, and that police have failed to follow up on potential leads.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=211...ings-with-west-valley-police&s_cid=featured-4

I don't think the Coxes will take action against WVPD. JMO... I do think/predict tongues will start to wag when the distribution of the insurance policies begin....and that process will be ugly and could extend for sometime, imo. I seriously doubt it will be completed by the time SP is released. The question will then be...will he become involved/comment? Will this be the turning point for the relationship between him and his children?

Those emails make me want to cry for Susan. She was so miserable and trying so hard to keep her family together. Josh deserves to be dead, but not those sweet little boys. So very, very sad.

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow
BREAKING NEWS: #WVC has DENIED request for #findsusan police records. @fox13now #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow
#WVC says releasing the reports would hamper an ongoing police investigation. @fox13now #findsusan #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow
BREAKING NEWS: #WVC has DENIED request for #findsusan police records. @fox13now #Utah

Ben Winslow ‏@BenWinslow
#WVC says releasing the reports would hamper an ongoing police investigation. @fox13now #findsusan #Utah

I wonder if this means they have evidence SP was involved? If they thought JP was the only one, then there wouldn't much of an investigation left.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back