Page 110 of 186 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 160 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 2779
    Sanford hires interim police chief from Colorado Springs

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...cement-veteran

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mercuriod For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    What are you talking about? The State didn't recoup any prosecution expenses from Casey Anthony!

If you are talking about money spent by the State on her defense because she was indigent, then it would be common practice for Baez to have to account for every penny. I have prepared such reports and they are very detailed (often hundreds of pages), but I admit I'm not in Florida and can't vouch for the competence of auditors there.

*I* was talking about estimates of what the State spent prosecuting the trial. Since the case was lost, I doubt anybody working for the prosecutor wants to brag about how much money they spent getting an acquittal for Casey Anthony. That's just common sense.

You seem to want to accuse me of asserting facts I do not know to be true. I don't stick "IMO" after every post, but I do use "I think" and similar phrases to indicate that I am expressing opinion, not reciting verifiable facts. What is the problem?
    I would assume when comparing specific case expenses State vs Private attorney, is like apples and oranges. A private attorney accounts for every minute dedicated to the case. I would assume the State only accounts for those expenses that are on top of a regular 40 hour work week, since the employees have to be paid anyway regardless if busy or not. Hence the State specific case expenses could only entail overtime due to the case, traveling and such due to the case, hiring of temp additional manpower due to the case. In other words expenses on top of regular work hours/duties.
    Employees from a law office keep carefully track of all their time/expenditures and allocate that to specific cases/accounts. State/County employees AFAIK generally do not do that for regular hours, may be only for OT. All IMO and lots of assumptions.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rotterdam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CathyinTexas View Post
    I have nothing to base this on, just a gut feeling, I think he and the judge are personal friends. jmo
    IMHO..And I suspect your "gut feeling" may just be correct ..JMHO
    "It's been clear from day one that the contradicting statements from the family members are not the truth," said Capt. Johnny Greenwood, spokesman for the Putnam County Sheriff's Office.

JUSTICE HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED AND HIDDEN IN THE LAW

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Emeralgem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mercuriod View Post
    Not sure if there are 1 or 2 sisters, 2 I think, but in the "op-ed" piece it does talk about him being the youngest of 4 children, and we have only heard from his older brother RZjr.
    Didn't RZ say in the CNN interview that he hadn't been in touch with GZ in years before GZ shot Trayvon?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CathyinTexas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Desdemona View Post
    The post contained two assertions. Sorry, which assertion were you responding to?

TIA
    I bolded it.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elementary For This Useful Post:

BBM: I realize that SYG immunity has a provision whereby the defendant recoups his expenses and acquires immunity for civil damages.

But in the case of an acquittal or appellate victory, I believe the defendant still has to pay his own expenses unless (a) he has been previously declared indigent, and/or (b) he can prove he was falsely arrested and prosecuted (usually a difficult thing to prove, since a judge has already found probable cause for his arrest).

Likewise, defendants who are acquitted (but not granted SYG immunity) may still be sued for civil damages.

Do you know of a Florida law that says otherwise?
    Tks. That is the same way my non legal mind read the self defense Statutes including that unusual SYG with criminal/civil immunity provision. Also you can not submit a motion for SYG for a closed case IMO. It has to be done sometime during an active case but can be invoked at any time during the lifetime of the case. It is very confusing. Based on that ,I would think that MOM eventually will file for SYG if he has the best interest of his client in mind.
    In the mean time, the case can be milked for all it is worth and possibly eventually all on the State's dime.
    All IMO.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rotterdam For This Useful Post:

What are you talking about? The State didn't recoup any prosecution expenses from Casey Anthony!

If you are talking about money spent by the State on her defense because she was indigent, then it would be common practice for Baez to have to account for every penny. I have prepared such reports and they are very detailed (often hundreds of pages), but I admit I'm not in Florida and can't vouch for the competence of auditors there.

*I* was talking about estimates of what the State spent prosecuting the trial. Since the case was lost, I doubt anybody working for the prosecutor wants to brag about how much money they spent getting an acquittal for Casey Anthony. That's just common sense.

You seem to want to accuse me of asserting facts I do not know to be true. I don't stick "IMO" after every post, but I do use "I think" and similar phrases to indicate that I am expressing opinion, not reciting verifiable facts. What is the problem?
    Do you think the State spent a million dollars on prosecution? That was my question. Also, you seem to be implying that the SA office does not proffer an accurate accounting of expenses. Is that what you are saying?

What you suggested, a million dollars, is a far cry from what the SA stated. And a far cry from what the defence spent. It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to suggest authority in that opinion. The figures the public received are nowhere near what you suggest. I am not accusing you of anything; I addressed your figures. I just want to know how you came by those figures which don't seem to be anywhere near what has been published. Saying they are hiding something is, I guess, at best, speculation unless you have some evidence to that effect.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to elementary For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LambChop View Post
    I don't think MOM has unlimited time for file his motion. If he does not file right away those docs are let loose within a matter of days. I wouldn't be surprised if he has some of them already, such as the EMT's report, GZ's statements to LE that night, etc. jmo
    That might be a good question to ask our lawyers, LambChop. As I understand it, the state is required to turn over discovery to the defense within 15 days of the defense's filing a Notice for Discovery. The defense then has 15 days from receiving the discovery to turn over its own discovery to the state. (And it's an ongoing process - anytime one side gets new discovery, they are required to turn it over to the other side in a timely manner.) I'm not aware of a time constraint on the defense for demanding initial discovery from the state.

I believe the state and defense attorneys in this case both have concerns about witnesses being harassed or somehow made unsafe, so they may be working together on what to redact. The court can always step in if either side feels the other is not complying or there's disagreement about how to exchange discovery. But in any circumstance, I don't think the state can release discovery until it's first been given to the defense.

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand...and melting like a snowflake." - Marie Beynon Ray

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sherbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixfla View Post
    Or the dollars to defend GZ may surge after evidence released. IMO the press overall has been biased in this case, and yet he has still been able to collect $200K for his defense.
    I am wondering however, what portion is that dough is from Media and/or Political Action Committees(PAC's like NRA/ALEC) as opposed to private citizens.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rotterdam For This Useful Post:

I have nothing to base this on, just a gut feeling, I think he and the judge are personal friends. jmo
    INteresting to note, Judge Lester is married to a PROSECUTOR.

"Lester is married Dorothy Sedgwick, a long-time homicide prosector at the State Attorney’s Office in Orange County."

I also found out that Lester is the same age as Angela Corey and they went to the same law school, and may have graduated the same year. He graduated in 1980, and she got her first law job in 1981.

*"He practiced*criminal and family law for 16 years in state and federal court before donning the robes. Lester is a 1980 graduate of University of Florida College of Law."

After receiving her Juris Doctor degree at the University of Florida's Levin College of Law, She was hired by Ed Austin in 1981 during his tenure as State Attorney....
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Corey"]Angela Corey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

http://p.washingtontimes.com/topics/kenneth-lester/

So if Lester is good friends with anyone, I am guessing it is the prosecution.

20. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

If that's true then the prosecution should file a motion to have the judge removed like what MOM did.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cityslick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Peel View Post
    Is there a defense fund currently active?
    I don't think so. gzdefensefund.com <------- not working. Yet. You can go there and see it's a shell.

But yes, delaying discovery IMO, is a strategy - having to do with the timing of those discovery docs and the approval of the gz defense fund. Hold off on discovery release until there is an approved defense fund on-line and ready to go.

Why?

IMO b/c: a doc dump = more MSM coverage = more MOM face-time = more mentions of how to donate to defense fund.

As opposed to previous GZ defense funds sites, this new one has a physical address(MOM's). Eager beavers can just mail their contributions via snail mail. MOM did say he had various folks, like hundreds, waiting to donate.
    Provides also more privacy.

24. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rotterdam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Just K View Post
    From this link and the Sandford PD PDF Press Release 2/29/2012:
    http://www.motherjones.com/documents...shootingupdate

SPD says that GZ was acting in his capacity of Neighborhood Watch at the time of the shooting.

But since that time, GZ and some of his outspoken friends have been trying to get the public to believe that he was not acting in his capacity as NW and was actually about to run an errand to Target for milk.
    So, was this part of his police statement, I wonder? If so, it shouldn't matter what he told his friends or the public, imo. Maybe Trayvon's parents will be able to sue the HOA.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CathyinTexas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    INteresting to note, Judge Lester is married to a PROSECUTOR.

"Lester is married Dorothy Sedgwick, a long-time homicide prosector at the State Attorney’s Office in Orange County."

I also found out that Lester is the same age as Angela Corey and they went to the same law school, and may have graduated the same year. He graduated in 1980, and she got her first law job in 1981.

*"He practiced*criminal and family law for 16 years in state and federal court before donning the robes. Lester is a 1980 graduate of University of Florida College of Law."

After receiving her Juris Doctor degree at the University of Florida's Levin College of Law, She was hired by Ed Austin in 1981 during his tenure as State Attorney....
    Angela Corey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://p.washingtontimes.com/topics/kenneth-lester/

So if Lester is good friends with anyone, I am guessing it is the prosecution.
    Do you have any idea how big the University of Florida is?

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to suzihawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emeralgem View Post
    IMHO..And I suspect your "gut feeling" may just be correct ..JMHO
    So what about the fact that Judge Lester is married to a prosecutor, and went to law school with Angela Corey. Any comments about that?

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

Page 110 of 186 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 160 ... LastLast