Page 110 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1060100101102103104105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 2779

Thread: 17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #35

Quote Originally Posted by Sherbie View Post
    Just so I'm clear on things, is the following information correct?

Zimmerman and a friend (both underage) were questioned about drinking by an undercover cop at a bar and GZ allegedly pushed the officer, resulting in 2 felony charges (obstructing justice/assault on LEO). Those charges were reduced to misdemeanors and waived/dismissed when he entered a diversion program, resulting in no criminal conviction.

Zimmerman and a girlfriend filed domestic violence petitions against each other. She alleged he shoved her and he said she scratched up his face. Each received restraining orders against the other. Were any criminal charges ever brought against him in that regard/was there a conviction?

I'm unsure what his criminal record actually is based on various accounts I've read here and elsewhere. Has he ever actually been convicted of any crimes at all? Is there more out there I'm missing?

Thanks!
    No, George was not underage. Here is a link to the searchpage.http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/default.aspx

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to highflyer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by highflyer View Post
    No, George was not underage. Here is a link to the searchpage.http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/default.aspx
    Thank you, highflyer! That link was exactly what I needed. After I visited, I remembered we had used that site during the Anthony trial. Doh!

One of the articles I read said GZ was underage during that incident, but he clearly was not. Looks like he was a few months shy of 22 yrs.

Thanks again! (Hope I can get this posted in between freezes on the site.)

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand...and melting like a snowflake." - Marie Beynon Ray

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sherbie For This Useful Post:

Could someone please bring me up to speed as to why it is thought a problem that the judge's wife has worked in the same district in which GZ was let off easy on some earlier stuff? Did she personally do a favor to someone letting GZ go or was she just hired by the same organization that handled the case?

If it had happened in Seminole county instead, would all the Seminole county employees now be considered as having a conflict of interest?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    Could someone please bring me up to speed as to why it is thought a problem that the judge's wife has worked in the same district in which GZ was let off easy on some earlier stuff? Did she personally do a favor to someone letting GZ go or was she just hired by the same organization that handled the case?

If it had happened in Seminole county instead, would all the Seminole county employees now be considered as having a conflict of interest?
    Probably much ado about nothing. I think Judge Lester will stay on top of the proceedings and stay within the law when issuing rulings. I got a good feeling about him at the bond hearing and while I'm not likely to appreciate all of his rulings, I think he'll be fair. That's the most TM's parents and GZ's family can ask for.
    All my posts are MOO!

Halt, face away from me and put the Occam's Razor on the ground now; put your hands on your head and interlace your fingers behind your head.

"Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is the right thing to do."-Justice Potter Stewart, US Supreme Court Justice 1915-1985

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jaded cat For This Useful Post:

Donjeta, the best I can tell from the scant information contained in the article (as well as the original article it links to, which interestingly appears to be the reporter's own news site?) is that the reporter learned of the connection and tried to make it a story, make it seem like something untoward was going on because the judge wouldn't comment on the matter.

Really, unless there's some important information the reporter withheld (don't know why he would), I can't see that it even is a story.

"We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand...and melting like a snowflake." - Marie Beynon Ray

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sherbie For This Useful Post:

OK, thank you...

Considering that some people are in court for small stuff and big stuff over and over again, it seems to me that we'd run out of judges pretty fast if everyone who ever worked in one of those districts or is related to someone who worked in one of those districts was considered unable to be impartial because of it.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vlpate View Post
    Which is not a reason for 10 days suspension, it could have easily been removed. IIRC, this is when they found the jewelry.
    The 10 days was because it was not his first suspension. They get progressively longer. jmo
    A lie will go round the world before the truth gets its pants on - Charles Spurgeon

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:

Which is not a reason for 10 days suspension, it could have easily been removed. IIRC, this is when they found the jewelry.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...om-school?lite

October suspension was for locker marking and security claims to have found jewelry but TM's parents were never told so they are challenging that as charges were never brought. The 10 day suspension, which was the latest, was for finding an empty bag they "believe" may have had pot in it. The first "suspension" was for being late but school officials claims they do not suspend for tardiness so apparently that was not a suspension but was on his record. jmo
    A lie will go round the world before the truth gets its pants on - Charles Spurgeon

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:

http://cfnews13.com/content/news/cfn...als_in_sa.html

Some of the darkest emails came days before the city commission called for resignation of former Chief Bill Lee.
    The tone of the emails started to become more positive as little bits and pieces of the evidence came out,” said Mahany.

One specific turning point, according to Mahany, was when the city commission in Sanford denied Chief Bill Lee’s resignation.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elley Mae For This Useful Post:

The only statement the victim can make in this case is from forensic evidence and physical evidence from the scene. This victim is dead and can't testify or give a false statement. jmo

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/0...ns-social.html

But he hinted that if Zimmerman’s postings will be scrutinized in court, Trayvon Martin’s would be too

“I always assume they are going to attack the victim,” Crump said when told of O’Mara’s statement Wednesday. “What part of what I said wasn’t true? You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see the behavior pattern. Zimmerman is on trial for murder: His credibility is at issue, his mentality is at issue.”

In March, conservative bloggers discovered Trayvon had a Twitter account, where he looked older and wore gold covers on his teeth. He often retweeted crude jokes riddled with foul language and posted offensive lyrics to popular rap songs.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elley Mae For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LambChop View Post
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...om-school?lite

October suspension was for locker marking and security claims to have found jewelry but TM's parents were never told so they are challenging that as charges were never brought. The 10 day suspension, which was the latest, was for finding an empty bag they "believe" may have had pot in it. The first "suspension" was for being late but school officials claims they do not suspend for tardiness so apparently that was not a suspension but was on his record. jmo
    Perhaps the first suspension was an 'in school suspension'. Both of my children recieved ISS for minor infractions. Those ISS students are sent to a separate classroom. IDK if this would be noted on the child's record but I imagine it would be if the FL school systems utilize ISS, that is. TM's parents may not have known if this is the case. Just a thought.

wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

Numbers,32:23

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post

But he hinted that if Zimmerman’s postings will be scrutinized in court, Trayvon Martin’s would be too

“I always assume they are going to attack the victim,” Crump said when told of O’Mara’s statement Wednesday. “What part of what I said wasn’t true? You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see the behavior pattern. Zimmerman is on trial for murder: His credibility is at issue, his mentality is at issue.”

In March, conservative bloggers discovered Trayvon had a Twitter account, where he looked older and wore gold covers on his teeth. He often retweeted crude jokes riddled with foul language and posted offensive lyrics to popular rap songs.
    From same link:

His email was hacked by white supremacists, although most of the material found there was related to plans for college. Several other widely circulated photos that appeared to show Trayvon looking like a thug were proven to be fakes.
    Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/0...#storylink=cpy
    If there's hink....there must be stink.

Quote Originally Posted by waltzingmatilda View Post
    Perhaps the first suspension was an 'in school suspension'. Both of my children recieved ISS for minor infractions. Those ISS students are sent to a separate classroom. IDK if this would be noted on the child's record but I imagine it would be if the FL school systems utilize ISS, that is. TM's parents may not have known if this is the case. Just a thought.

wm
    I was thinking that, too. Maybe even an after school detention. jmo

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LambChop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by suzihawk View Post
    Will we now be looking at a new Judge in this case? I wonder why he didn't recuse himself?

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2012/05/...erman-arrests/

Rob Redding Reports: Judge In Trayvon Martin Case Refuses To Answer Questions About Wife’s Role In Earlier Zimmerman Arrests

May 2, 2012 6:05 PM

ATLANTA, May 2, 2012, 5 p.m. - A Florida judge today refused to discuss his wife, who a newspaper reports worked in the same office that handled previous felony charges that were dismissed against George Zimmerman, the man now responsible for the shooting death of an unarmed Trayvon Martin.
    Oh geesh...I believe if his wife was the one who prosecuted GZ back in 2005, the right thing to do is recuse yourself so that there is no appearance of a conflict of interest...

It appears the attorney's in Florida are in the same circle...how can they avoid a conflict of interest, remove yourself....

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LiveLaughLuv For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post

Has this Twitter account been authenticated and verified to be Trayvon's? We were not allowed to reference the content of any of Zimmerman's various accounts until they were verified to actually belonging to him.

I've seen many references to the content of Trayvon's account although it hasn't been authenticated to my knowledge. It seems to be a bit of a double standard, IMO.

Could we get a ruling from one of the mods on this?

31. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to suzihawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Why shouldn't he call his dad? What's wrong with a parent being present after an arrest. I have seen that a zillion times. Talk about an over reaction on eveyone's part.

This judge is not supposed to sit before a trial with any defendant who was ever arrested previously in Orange County.

And the defendant, unlike most, is not allowed to call his father and have him come and talk to the investigators. Which is odd, because the cops usually always interview the family in cases like this.
    A minor has a parent present, not an adult...an adult stands on his own two feet, doesn't need to have daddy present and I'm surprised it was allowed...

That makes me believe, special consideration was given to the ex magistrate and his son...

33. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to LiveLaughLuv For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveLaughLuv View Post
    Oh geesh...I believe if his wife was the one who prosecuted GZ back in 2005, the right thing to do is recuse yourself so that there is no appearance of a conflict of interest...

It appears the attorney's in Florida are in the same circle...how can they avoid a conflict of interest, remove yourself....
    I didn't read that SHE prosecuted GZ. I read she worked in the same office.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

His email was hacked by white supremacists, although most of the material found there was related to plans for college. Several other widely circulated photos that appeared to show Trayvon looking like a thug were proven to be fakes. Other sites posted screen grabs of a few comments Trayvon’s friends made on Facebook and Twitter that they interpreted to suggest that the dead teen sold marijuana and was violent.

The social media accounts were considered damaging to Trayvon’s family, because they gave the appearance that his parents had deliberately distributed photos that showed him looking angelic and considerably younger.

Crump wondered whether O’Mara’s unwillingness to discuss Zimmerman’s social media account means he is backing off the digital social network strategy the defense attorney launched last week that included Twitter, a Facebook page and a blog.

O’Mara said he began his foray into social media in part to respond to the avalanche of emails and phone calls that were overwhelming his office. He also said it would be irresponsible to ignore the robust debate taking place online about his client.

Within an hour of posting his statement on Zimmerman’s Myspace account on Facebook, 20 people had replied.

“People don’t want Trayvon’s past looked into, but it’s OK to do it to Zimmerman?” wrote Dave Brown. “Hypocrite.”

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elley Mae For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    I'm 37 years old. If I ever found myself in legal trouble, my first call would be to my parents.

I see nothing out of the ordinary with GZ calling his father.

JMO
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

39. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLaughLuv View Post
    A minor has a parent present, not an adult...an adult stands on his own two feet, doesn't need to have daddy present and I'm surprised it was allowed...

That makes me believe, special consideration was given to the ex magistrate and his son...
    I've followed more trials that I can count and watched many episodes of "The First 48", a program that follows actual police/detectives . Of course, the person being charged or detained has a right to call whomever they chose. But not once have I ever heard of a 28 year old man calling his daddy. And, more specifically, not when the father is an ex-magistrate Judge. It does seem rather... well, unusual or odd - at best.

This is my own personal opinion, of course.

41. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to suzihawk For This Useful Post:

Why would the judge even know at that point, that the defendant MIGHT have had previous cases YEARS AGO in another county? The fact that he didn't know makes me think it is meaningless.

Homicide prosecutors only work very serious cases, nothing like the minor ones that GZ previously had.
    I'm really not understanding something. There was a huge almost scandal in a previous thread because ACorey went to the same law school as the judge years ago, further back than this by about fifteen years or so, and people were calling for either the judge to recuse himself or for ACorey to be off of the case. But now the judge's wife, only about seven years ago, maybe have been involved in GZ's prior cases, and that is just fine? So a more recent and definitely more related incident is a-okay, but the judge and ACorey being in the same law school about what, twenty years ago, is cause for concern?

Am I the only one confused by this?

43. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Aedrys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    I'm 37 years old. If I ever found myself in legal trouble, my first call would be to my parents.

I see nothing out of the ordinary with GZ calling his father.

JMO
    Mine too.

I believe I would instantly be reverted back to childhood in referring to them as "mommy" and "daddy" too.

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saguaro For This Useful Post:

A judge is not allowed to take former CHARGES into account. He only takes GUILTY VERDICTS into account.

Not true.

At a bond hearing, the judge tries to determine whether the public will be safe if accused murderer is free and can he be trusted not to flee. Judge Lester DID consider George's violent episodes & determined they were no big deal, that his assault on a cop at a bar was common in the UCF corridor and his domestic violence wasn’t important since he/she both filed restraining orders. His ruling was that George’s past violence didn’t matter regarding bond for the murder case.

When someone takes a plea, it doesn’t ‘erase’ what they did from their records. George took a plea to reduce his 2 felonies to a misdemeanor then a diversion program, it didn't mean he didn't do what he was accused of and in fact his violent behavior is still on his record, just not as felony convictions.

47. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to francie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrys View Post
    I'm really not understanding something. There was a huge almost scandal in a previous thread because ACorey went to the same law school as the judge years ago, further back than this by about fifteen years or so, and people were calling for either the judge to recuse himself or for ACorey to be off of the case. But now the judge's wife, only about seven years ago, maybe have been involved in GZ's prior cases, and that is just fine? So a more recent and definitely more related incident is a-okay, but the judge and ACorey being in the same law school about what, twenty years ago, is cause for concern?

Am I the only one confused by this?
    I don't remember a scandal.

LOL!

Some implied that Lester and O'Mara were BFF's and others said that perhaps the prosecutor and Lester are BFF's too.

Maybe they're all BFF's.

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saguaro For This Useful Post:

Page 110 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1060100101102103104105106107108109110111112 LastLast