'Supermoon' Alert: Biggest Full Moon of 2012 Occurs This Week

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Skywatchers take note: The biggest full moon of the year is due to arrive this weekend.

The moon will officially become full Saturday (May 5) at 11:35 p.m. EDT. And because this month's full moon coincides with the moon's perigee — its closest approach to Earth — it will also be the year's biggest.

The moon will swing in 221,802 miles (356,955 kilometers) from our planet, offering skywatchers a spectacular view of an extra-big, extra-bright moon, nicknamed a supermoon.

http://news.yahoo.com/supermoon-alert-biggest-full-moon-2012-occurs-week-180214325.html

Perigee full moon = eye candy.

Hope it's not cloudy here - and where you all are too.

I just looked and were going to have some lovely weather on Saturday. I think my husband will have to go for a walk on the beach with me.

The last super moon was at it's biggest size while rising..

I hope that it's going to be clear at my place...what a gorgeous sight these moons are. I would love to sit out on the back porch and watch it rise...just me and my pups.

OTOH, it's going to be a nasty weekend for ERs...full moons always are, and weekends (partying) and nice weather (being outside) will make for some intense times. I'm just hoping that no natural disaster (eq, volcano) responds to perigee...

Best-
Herding Cats

Bumping as a reminder for tomorrow:

On Saturday, the moon will be up to 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter than the other full moons of 2012, according to NASA.

So much excitement in the air today! Cinco de Mayo :party: Kentucky Derby :bananalama: Monster Moon :woohoo:

Have a good one!

Bump! reminder. Moon rises in Tulsa at 8:08 p.m. and I'm using that fact as a sort of mantra, chanting it to myself so I don't forget to go outside and see the perigee.

Hope your skies are cloud free!

I hope I don't forget tonight.

And that supermoon's just rising here, finally visible over the top of some apartments down the way - huge, circular (of course), and, in color, a sharp cheddar yellow. Well worth looking at!

It's transformed itself here from that deep mellow yellow to a porcelain white as it rises.

It's still pretty, but at 9:45 cst, I guess it was too long since it rose because it doesn't look that much bigger. It does seem bright though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiss63!
Back