1190 users online (251 members and 939 guests)  

Websleuths News

The world's oldest blood: it's Oetzi the Iceman's

Oetzi the Iceman's blood is world's oldest (BBC News)
    Researchers studying Oetzi, a 5,300-year-old body found frozen in the Italian Alps in 1991, have found red blood cells around his wounds.

Blood cells tend to degrade quickly, and earlier scans for blood within Oetzi's body turned up nothing.

Now a study in the Journal of the Royal Society Interface shows that Oetzi's remarkable preservation extends even to the blood he shed shortly before dying.

The find represents by far the oldest red blood cells ever observed.

It is just the latest chapter in what could be described as the world's oldest murder mystery.

Since Oetzi was first found by hikers with an arrow buried in his back, experts have determined that he died from his wounds and what his last meal was.

There has been extensive debate as to whether he fell where he died or was buried there by others.
    ---
    much more at BBC link above

Oooh, this is fascinating! I wonder if they'll be able to tell what kind of diseases he was carrying or had suffered from...? Though I don't like to seem morbid, but I often assess a region's social history via its epidemiology. This is exciting for me, lol.

The linked article has a number of related articles linked just below it-- it's all interesting reading, and much of it I had missed. Thanks, Woofie!

My favorite old-timer is Tollund Man - true, at about 3,000 years younger than Oetzi, he's still a pup, relatively speaking.

Link to Oetzi the Iceman found in living Austrians. (BBC News)
    Austrian scientists have found that 19 Tyrolean men alive today are related to Oetzi the Iceman, whose 5,300-year-old frozen body was found in the Alps.
    more at the link