GUILTY CA - Aiden Galeai, 2 mos, suffocated, Garden Grove, 31 Oct 2011

Thinker Belle

Reaction score
"WESTMINSTER – A Garden Grove woman Thursday pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the death of her 2-month-old baby by allowing him to suffocate in a pile of clothes.
Corrina Atuatasi, 27, was sentenced at the Westminster Justice Center by Orange County Superior Court Judge Debra Carrillo to one year in jail over the objections of the prosecutor, who argued for a state prison term."

http://www.ocregister.com/news/atuatasi-352498-baby-prosecutors.html

Huh? A YEAR in jail!? What a complete joke... Time and time again I see people like this get off with a mere slap on the wrist. What message is this sending? Abuse, neglect and kill your children and you may serve a year or so in jail... or get off completely. Our system is broken... no wonder so many cases of child abuse, neglect and murder... these people never seem to get the punishment they deserve :furious:

I agree Thinker Belle. Scarier yet is when she gets out, has another child and we're back revisiting this again - wonder if the judge thought of that!

:( :( :(

It is unreal that this woman was even offered a plea deal of only serving one year in jail or prision. According to the deputy district attorney in the link below "defendant had endangered the life of her children in at least one prior occasion due to her intoxication."

http://www.ocregister.com/news/atuatasi-352498-baby-prosecutors.html

"Atuatasi was taking care of 2-month-old Aiden Galeai on Oct. 30 while her husband and 2-year-old daughter were away visiting family when she left the infant alone in her Garden Grove apartment to smoke a cigarette, prosecutors said. She then met a neighbor and joined him and two other men for in the neighbor's apartment before getting her baby and returning to the party to continue drinking.

Prosecutors said she returned to her own apartment about 4 the next morning, but was so intoxicated she failed to make sure her baby was safe. Instead, prosecutors said, the baby ended up face-down in a pile of clothing and suffocated.

It is unclear if the baby was dropped on the pile when Atuatasi returned home or was kicked off the bed into the pile by Atuatasi as she slept, the release said.

Atuatasi woke up at 6 a.m. and called 911 to report that she could not find her baby, prosecutors said. She found Aiden non-responsive in the pile of clothes before the police arrived, prosecutors said. Garden Grove Police officers arrived at the scene a short time and found the baby dead on the bed."

I have no words....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can and probably would get longer for causing a death while driving drunk, Aiden died because she was drunk. One year is an absolute joke.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back