823 users online (148 members and 675 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,795

    TX - Luke Jacobson, 7 mos, dies in hot truck, Houston, 4 May 2012

    http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Inf...150237015.html

    A 7-month-old infant died Thursday after the baby's father left the child in the back of his pickup truck all day while he was at work, police near Houston say.

    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8647780


    "The father dropped off two children at school and went to a conference in northwest Houston and had basically forgotten that he had a 7-month-old in the back seat," said Sugar Land Police Captain Stuart Denton.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,640
    This is SO sad, and it's a problem with parents who have different schedules where it varies who has the children.

    When my kids were little I ALWAYS had them. As a stay at home mom, I ALWAYS had the kids, and my husband never did. It's not about loving your kids more, it's about the consistency of knowing that when I got out of my car, I had three little ones in there except on rare occasions.

    I think this almost never happens when there is a very consistent parent who has the kids, and a consistent routine. And obviously this never happened when the babies were strapped in a front seat next to the driver. Maybe it's time to do that again - devise a car seat that sits in the front, so if it's a family situation where the kids are with whoever they're with that day, the baby is in the visual field of the parent.

    There might be other solutions - the car door won't lock if a baby is in the seat, etc. Because working parents don't forget to lock their cars. They just forget their babies are inside.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In my own reality...it's nicer here.
    Posts
    12,006
    So very sad...prayers for this family.

    From the link above:
    Here are some safety tips for parents from KidsandCars.org:

    Put something you'll need, like your cell phone, purse or employee ID, on the floor board of the back seat.

    Get in the habit of always opening the back door of your car every time you reach your destination to make sure no child has been left behind.

    Keep a large stuffed animal in the child's car seat when it's not occupied. When your child is in the car seat, move the stuffed animal to the front passenger seat as a visual reminder that your child is in the back.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Behind the eight ball
    Posts
    2,928
    I've heard about these kinds of tragedies WAY too much! What are people thinking? or do they just NOT think?
    Maybe if they'd picture they were carrying around a suitcase with a million dollars in it (not that its even near the price of a child or a human life) then they would remember not to just leave it??
    I'm sorry for the dad.. I'm sure he's a mess but this just seems like an unexcuseable accident ...
    RIP little one...
    It's just MOO. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it surely won't be the last!

    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Behind the eight ball
    Posts
    2,928
    Quote Originally Posted by momtective View Post
    So very sad...prayers for this family.

    From the link above:
    Here are some safety tips for parents from KidsandCars.org:

    Put something you'll need, like your cell phone, purse or employee ID, on the floor board of the back seat.

    Get in the habit of always opening the back door of your car every time you reach your destination to make sure no child has been left behind.

    Keep a large stuffed animal in the child's car seat when it's not occupied. When your child is in the car seat, move the stuffed animal to the front passenger seat as a visual reminder that your child is in the back.
    May I add another one?
    Put your children ahead of ANYTHING you got going on in your life.. today and EVERY day...
    It's just MOO. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it surely won't be the last!

    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Here.
    Posts
    6,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterby80 View Post
    http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Inf...150237015.html

    A 7-month-old infant died Thursday after the baby's father left the child in the back of his pickup truck all day while he was at work, police near Houston say.

    http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8647780


    "The father dropped off two children at school and went to a conference in northwest Houston and had basically forgotten that he had a 7-month-old in the back seat," said Sugar Land Police Captain Stuart Denton.
    I can understand how this could happen to anyone. Our lives are so busy and rushed. Victoria Beckham admitted this week that she put the daughter in the car seat and left to drop her son at school, got down the street and realized she had left the son she was taking to school at home.
    I know reporting this might help people to remember to double check their cars before they leave them, but sometimes I wish they wouldn't notify the world of the family's tragedy. Moo
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,075
    I was wondering when these stories would start popping up

    Every year, when the weather gets hotter, I start to dread hearing about these poor children.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,311
    I wish I had never clicked on this story. I read both accounts and apparently he drove home with the baby in the truck already deceased???? OMG.God bless this family. And that poor little baby gone too soon.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Here.
    Posts
    6,017
    Quote Originally Posted by JeannaT View Post
    This is SO sad, and it's a problem with parents who have different schedules where it varies who has the children.

    When my kids were little I ALWAYS had them. As a stay at home mom, I ALWAYS had the kids, and my husband never did. It's not about loving your kids more, it's about the consistency of knowing that when I got out of my car, I had three little ones in there except on rare occasions.

    I think this almost never happens when there is a very consistent parent who has the kids, and a consistent routine. And obviously this never happened when the babies were strapped in a front seat next to the driver. Maybe it's time to do that again - devise a car seat that sits in the front, so if it's a family situation where the kids are with whoever they're with that day, the baby is in the visual field of the parent.

    There might be other solutions - the car door won't lock if a baby is in the seat, etc. Because working parents don't forget to lock their cars. They just forget their babies are inside.
    You used to be able to turn off some airbags-in our 2000 truck you can. I hated when they had to ride in the back in the rear facing seat!
    Your idea of a doors not locking is a great idea! How about a system where the car won't lock or when the key is removed from the ignition a beep sounds, like seatbelt beeps, until the seat is removed from the base. Patent that! 50/50 right I have a new niece 3 months old and the car seats now all unattach from bases- you don't have to take them out of the seat like in my days so that would work for the infants.
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Here.
    Posts
    6,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    I was wondering when these stories would start popping up

    Every year, when the weather gets hotter, I start to dread hearing about these poor children.
    Confession- When I am parking and it is hot out, if I see a carseat in the car next to mine I always check to make sure it is empty. I just started checking again this past week.
    Clear your mind must be, if you are to discover the real villains behind this plot. Opinion only, my posts are.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In my own reality...it's nicer here.
    Posts
    12,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    You used to be able to turn off some airbags-in our 2000 truck you can. I hated when they had to ride in the back in the rear facing seat!
    Your idea of a doors not locking is a great idea! How about a system where the car won't lock or when the key is removed from the ignition a beep sounds, like seatbelt beeps, until the seat is removed from the base. Patent that! 50/50 right I have a new niece 3 months old and the car seats now all unattach from bases- you don't have to take them out of the seat like in my days so that would work for the infants.
    A weight sensor in the backseat would be a great idea. When the ignition is turned and the drivers door is closed an alarm would sound if there was any weighted item in the backseat. Maybe auto manufactures should consider making this a standard safety feature.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,539
    I just HATE reading about these kinds of cases Here's an article about parents forgetting their kids in the car from the Washington Post from a few years ago. Heads up -- it is heartbreaking

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2009030602446

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    783
    It is so sad. I admit, when I was working, driving to work I would be on auto pilot. I am thankful I was able to quit my job to be a stay home parent because this scares me to death. I would love to say it could never happen to me, but.....well let me just say I don't condone by any means, but I can so see how it can happen.

    Bless this poor Dad he will never be the same. I'm mad at him, and I feel for him at the same time. Does that make sense?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,346
    I used to be so judgmental about these stories. I was aware of my child every minute, every minute she was in the back of my mind. How could parents do this? My child is long grown now but a few years ago I had a job that was extremely stressful. I worked partly on commission and having to reach a quota, and the atmosphere there was always no matter how well you did it was almost not good enough. Then they decided everybody would have to work overtime on weekends for 3 months. By the time this was over I was finding myself driving and having periods of completely dissassociating, all of a sudden I wouldn't know where I was for a minute. Very scary feeling to black out like that. A man I worked with did leave his baby in his car all day. I could understand him and realized you could be under so much pressure you could forget your baby was left in a car.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    25,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    I was wondering when these stories would start popping up

    Every year, when the weather gets hotter, I start to dread hearing about these poor children.
    There was a second one this week-a mother forgot her baby and that baby died too. Every year -the same story over and over again. People just don't learn. Why is it so hard to remember that there is a baby in a car?
    Just my opinion

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. ND ND - Sandra, 36, & John Jacobson, 5, Bismarck, 16 Nov 1996
    By lostwithoutyou in forum 1990's Missing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-01-2016, 12:38 PM
  2. TX - Casen Wells, 16 mos, dies with fractured skull, Houston, 20 Jan 2012
    By peeples in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2015, 01:47 PM
  3. TX TX - Houston, LIVING WhtMale, 70's, hit by truck, Nov'15
    By Sleuthster in forum The Unidentified
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-05-2015, 11:08 PM
  4. GUILTY MT - Tennielle Big Day, 3, thrown from truck, dies, Big Horn County, 3 Dec 2012
    By Filly in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-11-2015, 10:50 PM

Tags for this Thread