College student forgotten in DEA cell for four days without food, water, toilet

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...cell-for-four-days-without-food-water/1228134

SAN DIEGO — A California engineering student says he was left alone in a federal holding cell for four days with no food or water, apparently forgotten by the federal drug agents who detained him.

Daniel Chong, a senior at the University of California at San Diego, said he was swept up in a Drug Enforcement Administration raid near campus and was taken to a detention facility. After questioning, he was told he would be released.

Then the DEA left him locked inside a 5-by-10-foot windowless cell.

He screamed. He kicked madly at the door. He cried like a baby......

"It's impossible to describe hallucinations like these," he said. "I was completely insane."

-------

Chong was rushed to a nearby hospital where he spent five more days recovering from problems including kidney failure, dehydration and a perforated esophagus that was the result of swallowing the broken glass.

He was not charged with any crimes.
------

Chong's attorneys filed a $20 million claim against the DEA on Wednesday, saying his treatment constitutes torture under U.S. and international law.

More at link.....

Horrendous...and frightening. This poor young man will likely suffer from PTSD or similar for years after an experience like this.

And all because he went to smoke some pot. Yeah, I realize there was a weapons and E bust at the house, but damn. We really need to rethink the insanity that is the "war on drugs", IMO.

I hope his jailors have to pay him plenty for what they did to him, and pay his medical expenses too.

WOW WOW WOW. What a nightmare for this poor man. I actually have no words. Looks like to me some agents need to be removed. I am glad he is suing, and the DEA is looking into new procedures.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...cell-for-four-days-without-food-water/1228134

SAN DIEGO — A California engineering student says he was left alone in a federal holding cell for four days with no food or water, apparently forgotten by the federal drug agents who detained him.

Daniel Chong, a senior at the University of California at San Diego, said he was swept up in a Drug Enforcement Administration raid near campus and was taken to a detention facility. After questioning, he was told he would be released.

Then the DEA left him locked inside a 5-by-10-foot windowless cell.

He screamed. He kicked madly at the door. He cried like a baby......

"It's impossible to describe hallucinations like these," he said. "I was completely insane."

-------

Chong was rushed to a nearby hospital where he spent five more days recovering from problems including kidney failure, dehydration and a perforated esophagus that was the result of swallowing the broken glass.

He was not charged with any crimes.
------

Chong's attorneys filed a $20 million claim against the DEA on Wednesday, saying his treatment constitutes torture under U.S. and international law.

More at link.....

Where'd the glass come from?
I heard he had meth in the room and ate some of that. I'll say imo cuz that was in another article I read but can't remember where.
That would have made me crazy too. I hope Mr. Chong gets compensated for the DEA's HUGE mistake.

Where'd the glass come from?I heard he had meth in the room and ate some of that. I'll say imo cuz that was in another article I read but can't remember where.
That would have made me crazy too. I hope Mr. Chong gets compensated for the DEA's HUGE mistake.

From the article:

Days crawled by. No food. No water. No bathroom. He remembers biting his eyeglasses and using the broken shards to scrawl a note onto his left arm.

"Sorry Mom," he tried to write. He stopped after the "S,'' too weak to continue...............

In utter confusion, Chong said, he ate some of the broken glass he had used to slice his arm. He also ingested a white powdery substance the DEA said had been left in the cell inadvertently.

From link:

"In utter confusion, Chong said, he ate some of the broken glass he had used to slice his arm. He also ingested a white powdery substance the DEA said had been left in the cell inadvertently."

I understand that the broken glass came from his eyeglasses, but I'm puzzled as to why/how meth was inadvertently left in the cell, apparently by the DEA. So they just leave it laying around?? Makes no sense to me.

Poor guy.

So, the DEA left drugs (maybe drugs) in a holding cell. Huge mistake one and two. I count it as two, because not only were there drugs available to anyone later in that cell, they let someone walk on the charge of bringing drugs into a federal facility. Mistake three, they nearly killed a guy by locking him in a cell and just forgetting about it.

And people ask why I don't trust the government...right here, folks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back