Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The cries for help

Quote Originally Posted by LynnM View Post
    I got the justification part from your comment that "Mr. Martin should have asked for directions if he were as lost as people make claim, and Mr. Zimmerman was there to ask if he needed to. Had that happened this whole situation would have been avoided. I believe the first amendment protects his right to ask anyone anything he wants, and whomever he should ask a question has the right to ignore his inquiry. There is no law stating someone must identify before asking a question. I contend the easiest way to avoid the whole situation lies in my second sentence."
    It's funny that you completely ignore this sentence and quote everything else.
    You can "should've" this to death, and so can everyone else.
    I believe that would show that my "should have" is merely an example.

I assume you were referring to Zimmerman's comment to the dispatcher that Trayvon was suspicious for walking along and looking all around and that telling the stranger following him that he was lost would have justified his presence or demeanor to Zimmerman and then he wouldn't have shot him.
    As I've told many other folks all over the internet, and as a socio PhD I'm sure that you understand that being "suspicious" of someone will vary from person to person due to events that have happened in their lifetime. Something I find suspicious, such as a guy setting a bag down near a pile of boxes, you may not. This is because my life story is not the same as yours. Mine comes from a military background.

As for running, Zimmerman tells the dispatcher that he was following Trayvon and I hear what sounds like huffing and puffing. At least that's what it sounds like when I am running.
    "Following" does not equate to "running," but it's irrelevant anyway.

I think Zimmerman's state of mind is evident from his own words. His saying that "These a**holes always get away" tells me that he had decided that Trayvon was a criminal like the others who had committed burglaries and not been apprehended. His utterance of "f-ing punk (or punks)" is indicative of anger towards Trayvon, the supposed criminal who was getting away. There's no need for psychoanalysis and statements made minutes prior to the shooting give a better indicator of his state of mind at the time than questioning later will.
    Ok, we can agree that he may have profiled Mr. Martin as a criminal, does that mean he's out to kill? Due to the pluralization of the word "punk" I find it hard to believe that he's talking about an INDIVIDUAL specifically. I think a better analysis of the word would be that it refers to the earlier statement "these a...... always get away," thus the criminals in the area. Based on your lack of a "yes" I'm going to say that you wouldn't say he was "out for blood" or "on the hunt" based on his non-emergency phone call, thanks!

The word "punk" is shown to be plural based on a quick google search of "zimmerman said punk" without the quotes.
    Last edited by AJ Noiter; 05-07-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Last sentence
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan
    “In all debates, let truth be thy aim, not victory, or an unjust interest.” - William Penn

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AJ Noiter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Donjeta View Post
    If someone thinks they've caught up with a bad guy, I'm not nearly sure that the telling them that one is lost would help. Someone could just think that they've caught up with a bad guy who lies about being lost because the bad guy can't very well state that he's looking for a suitable house to rob.

Anyway, about those cries for help...
    It wouldn't surprise me if Zimmerman had called for help at some point. But I think that anguished wailing is Trayvon who had seen the gun and was in fear of his life.

I don't think witness accounts of who was yelling or hollering or whatever are going to be much help. It was dark and the natural assumption is that whoever one sees on the bottom of a scuffle is or was the person to cry out. Our minds try to make a coherent whole out of what we are seeing and that causes us to distort our memories of events.

Speaking of sociology experiments, I remember an experiment a sociology professor did when I was an undergraduate. We didn't know this was an experiment at the time of course. Another professor interrupted class and asked our prof if he had the $10 he had borrowed from him since he was heading out to lunch and needed the cash. Both men took out their wallets, money was given, and the men went on talking the whole time (Sorry to interrupt, etc.). When we were asked to write up what we had seen and heard we got what we had heard correct but no one correctly said what had actually happened, that the interrupting professor actually GAVE our professor a five dollar bill, he didn't get the $10 at all. All of us thought we saw our prof pay him back!

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LynnM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iluvmua View Post
    that's a three year difference. People can change.
    Yes, all indications are that he became an upstanding and productive member of society after assaulting a law enforcement officer and being involved in a domestic abuse case. If it just wasn't for that one little incident of profiling and shooting dead an innocent young black man. /s

BTW, weren't both he and his wife unemployed for some time prior to the shooting?

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to suzihawk For This Useful Post:

I'm not following.
    Why did he bring up the escaping a*****s, plural, in a phone call about an individual, specifically, if he wasn't intending to include aforementioned individual in the group?

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Donjeta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by suzihawk View Post
    Yes, all indications are that he became an upstanding and productive member of society after assaulting a law enforcement officer and being involved in a domestic abuse case. If it just wasn't for that one little incident of profiling and shooting dead an innocent young black man. /s

BTW, weren't both he and his wife unemployed for some time prior to the shooting?
    The story I read from Reuters called "Prelude to a Shooting," shows that he was an upstanding citizen even before then. My personal opinion is that he probably had some liquid courage and wanted to help his friend. I won't say whether or not the officer identified himself, but the state seems to think there was enough doubt to drop it.
    “In all debates, let truth be thy aim, not victory, or an unjust interest.” - William Penn

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AJ Noiter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AngelWings444 View Post
    Thought you weren't reading what the media has to say? Don't mean to be personal, but you have made this statement over and over again. The "Prelude to a Shooting" was a get to know GZ, IMO. Including little boy pictures..

JMO
    I have stated a number of times that I stopped watching the media. No one has asked when that was. Even then, if someone points me to an article I -may- check it out. That in itself does not mean I'm blindly listening to what the media has stated. However, I must take a different stance on the "Prelude to a Shooting" article because it's evident that someone did investigative journalism, and based on my opinion of that I do tend to give it a bit more credibility than the typical "zomg look what <insert some other source> is saying about <insert .. whatever>" stories.

To put it shortly, if you have to quote another media outlet for your story, you are not doing your job as a source of news.
    Last edited by AJ Noiter; 05-07-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: final sentence

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AJ Noiter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Noiter View Post
    If the individual is coherent the EMTs can not force them to go to the hospital. However, Mr. Zimmerman did end up at the hospital at some point in time, as Mr. O'Mara's questioning in the bond hearing shows that medical records are available as proof to such.
    Unless GZ's injuries were documented by the Sanford Fire Department EMT medical records and by photographs taken by the Sanford Police Department, it doesn't matter if he went to a doctor or hospital later. There would be no way to prove that his injuries happened during his altercation with TM - they could have happened later. And if SPD did NOT document GZ's injuries and they were real, then that shows a serious problem with SPD and their investigative branch.

Without official documentation, I could not be convinced that any injury seen by a doctor hours or days after the incident had not been created later to support GZ's claims of self defense.

IMO, JMO, etc.

14. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to csziggy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by csziggy View Post
    Unless GZ's injuries were documented by the Sanford Fire Department EMT medical records and by photographs taken by the Sanford Police Department, it doesn't matter if he went to a doctor or hospital later. There would be no way to prove that his injuries happened during his altercation with TM - they could have happened later. And if SPD did NOT document GZ's injuries and they were real, then that shows a serious problem with SPD and their investigative branch.

Without official documentation, I could not be convinced that any injury seen by a doctor hours or days after the incident had not been created later to support GZ's claims of self defense.

IMO, JMO, etc.
    I am trying to figure out how is it that the person using self-defense or SYG should have injuries. Do you have that information? Isn't that the whole purpose of the law?

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elley Mae For This Useful Post:

The story I read from Reuters called "Prelude to a Shooting," shows that he was an upstanding citizen even before then. My personal opinion is that he probably had some liquid courage and wanted to help his friend. I won't say whether or not the officer identified himself, but the state seems to think there was enough doubt to drop it.
    The charges were not dropped, they were reduced to a misdemeanor with pretrial diversion to an anger management course.

REGISTER OF ACTIONS
    CASE NO. 2005-CF-009525-A-O
    STATE OF FLORIDA VS. ZIMMERMAN, GEORGE MICHAEL §
    §
    Case Type: Criminal Felony
    Date Filed: 07/18/2005
    Judicial Officer: OKane, Julie H
    Inmate Booking Number: 05200584
    Uniform Case Number: 482005CF009525000AOX
    PARTY INFORMATION
    Lead Attorneys
    Defendant ZIMMERMAN, GEORGE MICHAEL
    DOB: 10/05/1983
    ZAHRA SHANAZ UMANSKY, Esquire Retained
    407-228-3838(W)
    Plaintiff STATE OF FLORIDA
    CHARGE INFORMATION
    Charges: ZIMMERMAN, GEORGE MICHAEL Statute Level Date
    1. CR-RESISTING OFFICER WITH VIOLENCE 843.01 Third Degree - Felony 07/16/2005
    2. BATTERY ON LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER 784.07(2)(B) Third Degree - Felony 07/16/2005
    EVENTS & ORDERS OF THE COURT
    OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS
    08/30/2005
    Receipt of Original Papers
    RECEIPT OF ORIGINAL PAPERS FILED TO 05-MM-10436
    08/29/2005
    Request for Administrative Transfer

REQUEST FOR ADMINISTRATIVE TRANSFER TO COUNTY COU
    REGISTER OF ACTIONS
    CASE NO. 2005-MM-010436-A-O
    STATE OF FLORIDA VS. ZIMMERMAN, GEORGE MICHAEL
    §
    Case Type: Misdemeanor
    Date Filed: 07/18/2005
    Judicial Officer: Miller, W Michael
    Inmate Booking Number: 05200584
    Uniform Case Number: 482005MM010436000AOX
    PARTY INFORMATION
    Lead Attorneys
    Defendant ZIMMERMAN, GEORGE MICHAEL
    DOB: 10/05/1983
    ZAHRA SHANAZ UMANSKY, Esquire Retained
    407-228-3838(W)
    Plaintiff STATE OF FLORIDA
    CHARGE INFORMATION
    Charges: ZIMMERMAN, GEORGE MICHAEL Statute Level Date
    1. CR-RESISTING OFFICER WITHOUT VIOLENCE 843.02 First Degree - Misd 07/14/2005
    EVENTS & ORDERS OF THE COURT
    OTHER EVENTS AND HEARINGS
    07/28/2006
    Nolle Prosequi
    NOLLE PROSEQUI COUNT 001
    06/15/2006
    PTD Program Agreement for Supervision Extension
    ORANGE CO. PTD AGGREEMENT FOR SUPERVISION EXT.
    01/26/2006
    Bond Discharged
    CLOSED BOND DISCHARGED #61766193
    01/12/2006
    Approval for Participation in PTD
    APPROVAL FOR PART.IN PTD
    12/30/2005
    Pre-Trial Deferment
    PRE-TRIAL DEFERMENT FILED
    http://myclerk.myorangeclerk.com/default.aspx

BBM

Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    I am trying to figure out how is it that the person using self-defense or SYG should have injuries. Do you have that information? Isn't that the whole purpose of the law?
    All I know is that GZ and his family and friends have claimed various levels of injury to GZ. Some enhanced still shots from videos and a cell photo photo have been used in the media to support those claims of GZ's injuries. Until I see officially documented evidence - medical records and photographs - from that night before GZ was released from police custody, I will not be certain of the severity of GZ's injuries, if any.

IMO, JMO, etc. This would be better discussed in the thread for GZ's injuries. We've gotten off-topic!

19. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to csziggy For This Useful Post:

The charges were not dropped, they were reduced to a misdemeanor with pretrial diversion to an anger management course.

BBM
    You didn't bold the nolle prosequi part, but that's the critical part. The charges were dropped upon completion of the diversion. That's the whole point of a diversion. The record still shows up, but there is no conviction.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Karmady For This Useful Post:

Sorry I have to ask this again, but has anyone here actually heard TMs voice? Any examples we can link to? I am really interested in hearing the tone and pitch of his voice.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Phoenixfla For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karmady View Post
    You didn't bold the nolle prosequi part, but that's the critical part. The charges were dropped upon completion of the diversion. That's the whole point of a diversion. The record still shows up, but there is no conviction.
    Yes but the issue was whether the state 'had enough doubt to drop it.' They allowed GZ to eter the diversion program. They didn't doubt he was guilty.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LynnM For This Useful Post:

BBM
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnM View Post
    Yes but the issue was whether the state 'had enough doubt to drop it.' They allowed GZ to eter the diversion program. They didn't doubt he was guilty.
    Respectfully, neither you nor I have any idea whether they doubted he was guilty of the crime charged. And George's defense, iirc, was one of the elements of the crime -- that LE did not identify himself as such and was undercover. The prosecutor may have been certain that the officer did not, in fact, identify himself. Particularly since the prosecutors' office would have been able to have direct access to the officer in question and would have known what he would say under oath. Or not, and just felt like it wasn't worth the time and expense to prosecute. However, as a practical matter, prosecutors determine whether or not to prosecute based on whether they think they can get a conviction. They're kind of like sports teams in that regard, unfortunately. imo They are big on statistics and the W-L record. And they do tend to prosecute crimes against LE. jmo

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Karmady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karmady View Post
    Respectfully, neither you nor I have any idea whether they doubted he was guilty of the crime charged. And George's defense, iirc, was one of the elements of the crime -- that LE did not identify himself as such and was undercover. The prosecutor may have been certain that the officer did not, in fact, identify himself. Particularly since the prosecutors' office would have been able to have direct access to the officer in question and would have known what he would say under oath. Or not, and just felt like it wasn't worth the time and expense to prosecute. However, as a practical matter, prosecutors determine whether or not to prosecute based on whether they think they can get a conviction. They're kind of like sports teams in that regard, unfortunately. imo They are big on statistics and the W-L record. And they do tend to prosecute crimes against LE. jmo
    wow, these threads get off-topic quick, I constantly have to look at the sign on the door to remember where I am. Regardless of what his record was, and the Judge felt it was insignificant, it had absolutely nothing to do with the cried for help.

The prosecution took SF's word for the cries being her son's because the tests done by the so-called experts and the FBI gave no insight and the tests were not part of the probable cause document. At the end of the day, I can't figure out how it matters anyway, if TM was atop GZ, he was denying him his right to retreat and regardless of who was screaming for help, that's what will matter, IMO.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vlpate For This Useful Post:

I'm not certain if this has been mentioned, but according to Mr. Owen's website his voice comparisons are bunk.

Specifically:
    III - THE METHOD OF VOICE IDENTIFICATION

The method by which a voice is identified is a multifaceted process requiring the use of both aural and visual senses. In the typical voice identification case the examiner is given several recordings; one or more recordings of the voice to be identified and one or more recorded voice samples of one or more suspects. It is from these recordings the examiner must make the determination about the identity of the unknown voice.

The first step is to evaluate the recording of the unknown voice, checking to make sure the recording has a sufficient amount of speech with which to work and that the quality of the recording is of sufficient clarity in the frequency range required for analysis. The volume of the recorded voice signal must be significantly higher than that of the environmental noise. The greater the number of obscuring events, such as noise, music, and other speakers, the longer the sample of speech must be. Some examiners report that they reject as many as sixty percent of the cases submitted to them with one of the main reasons for rejection being the poor quality of the recording of the unknown voice.
    <snip - read all of the information, please>
    According to his very first step he could not make such an analysis of these screams. There wasn't any speech, the quality was via telephone (which alone poses many hazards to higher frequencies*), under the speaking of the person on the phone/dispatcher, from an unknown distance. Given that he states specifically that the more "obscuring events" the longer the speech has to be, and the fact that there is no speech.. how can he make any determination at all? There's more, that's just the first step.

Edit below:
    I just wanted to make it clear that I'm specifically talking about Mr. Owens' analysis of the screams. I know the special prosecutor probably recorded Mr. Zimmerman in the walkthrough when they had him yell a number of times. In Mr. Owens' analysis he states that he compared the screams to the voice (Mr. Zimmerman's) heard in the 911 call.

* - I tried to find info on this to link, but it seems as if the digital age has fixed this in modern telephone systems and in turn made it a bit more difficult to find info on it. I would place a wager that because the 911 telephone system has some redundancy systems in place it hasn't been updated to digital lines. If you remember "back in the good ol' days" when you were on the phone, the voice of the person you were speaking to would sound different than it does when you're speaking in person. This is because the telephone back then filtered out frequencies above a certain point.
    Last edited by AJ Noiter; 05-07-2012 at 06:53 PM.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AJ Noiter For This Useful Post:

I'm not certain if this has been mentioned, but according to Mr. Owen's website his voice comparisons are bunk.

Specifically:

According to his very first step he could not make such an analysis of these screams. There wasn't any speech, the quality was via telephone (which alone poses many hazards to higher frequencies), under the speaking of the person on the phone/dispatcher, from an unknown distance. Given that he states specifically that the more "obscuring events" the longer the speech has to be, and the fact that there is no speech.. how can he make any determination at all? There's more, that's just the first step.
    The software Mr. Owens used for his analysis, Easy Voice Biometrics, is recently introduced for sale in the US, though it has already been accepted for use in court.

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to csziggy For This Useful Post:

The software Mr. Owens used for his analysis, Easy Voice Biometrics, is recently introduced for sale in the US, though it has already been accepted for use in court.
    Which is just a highly "dumbed down" version of CoolEdit, in my opinion based upon the tech info for the software found here: http://www.easyvoicebiometrics.com/d...tionalinfo.pdf

Looking over that, there are 3 methods used by the software:

Spectral-Formant Method provides high reliability of identification results and has the following
    advantages:
    • Requires just as little as 16 seconds length of speech sample.
    Pitch Statistics Analysis Method.
    • Requires the minimum of 10 seconds length of speech sample (which is even less than the Spectral-Formant method).
    Gaussian Mixture Models based Method (GMM).
    • High speed of the speaker search.
    • Ideal for clear recordings with low noise level.
    • Ideal for long recordings.
    I think it's safe to say that not only does Mr. Owens' own words contradict his analysis, but the documentation from the software he uses says he shouldn't have even tried.

Edit:
    This is pure speculation from me, but I'm starting to wonder if Mr. Owen had some kind of deal with the developers of the software. It's strangely odd that he made these claims, which we can clearly see that he shouldn't have even by his own words, right after a new version of the software came out. Free nation-wide commercial on multiple networks and outlets?
    Last edited by AJ Noiter; 05-07-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: couple typos

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AJ Noiter For This Useful Post:

I have stated a number of times that I stopped watching the media. No one has asked when that was. Even then, if someone points me to an article I -may- check it out. That in itself does not mean I'm blindly listening to what the media has stated. However, I must take a different stance on the "Prelude to a Shooting" article because it's evident that someone did investigative journalism, and based on my opinion of that I do tend to give it a bit more credibility than the typical "zomg look what <insert some other source> is saying about <insert .. whatever>" stories.

To put it shortly, if you have to quote another media outlet for your story, you are not doing your job as a source of news.
    Most of us here have already read that article also and noticed the writer did not quote ANY sources...I don't call that good journalism and it was questioned at the time by several posters here. The real purpose seemed to be to show us GZ's little boy pictures which has nothing to do with this case or his credibility about his actions in killing Trayvon.

37. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Thanks!

I guess we'll have to wait for the trial to see if the AG/prosecutor offers any professional analysis of the voices/screams. It would be good to have it verified that it was Trayvon screaming but I tend to agree with some other posters who have said that the judge or jury will not even need that. They can tell by listening to the tape themselves that it is Trayvon and his mother's testimony will be very credible. I remember she got so upset listening to it that she screamed and ran from the room crying. I think they will believe her.

39. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

Just in case anyone's interested. Here is Mr. Owen's CV. Also, he has testified or been identified as an expert in at least 12 reported decisions over the past decade or so on voice issues. Which means, imo, he's probably testified or issued a report in about 3 or 4 times that many cases. I can't link to the cases b/c they're from a subscription site, so take it fwiw.

He also is "approved" by a lot of media, which is listed in his CV.

www.owlinvestigations.com/pdf/TOM_OWEN_Vitae_01_2011.pdf

41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Karmady For This Useful Post:

I also think George went down the street and the cut through and TM saw him pop back up in front of him.

I think it's very likely George had the gun in his waistband (may of been under the jacket and he moved it to displayed it) and he let it be known he had a gun. That was when TM saw the gun and started fighting for his life. Trayvon was standing his ground trying to save his life.

George's brother talks about how George said it was sad that no one came to help him , that despite the screams no one had come to help. He also said the screams could of been avoided that night. Several neighbor's had heard and seen something going on and did call for help. And yes the screams could of been avoided by George following the dispatchers directive and not follow a person that look to be on drugs and up to no good and was circling his truck.

I don't understand George going down the sidewalk to the next street to get an address. He lived in that sub-division for three years and "patrolled" it on his "watch", I bet he knows just about all the house numbers on those streets. I think the going to get an address story gave George more time in his version so he could be the victim that got surprised from behind. I mean you would want to save face wouldn't you? He had to of been attacked from behind. A sucker punch. It's wasn't his fault. He was only doing his job.

What was George planning to do once he confronted Trayvon? Was he just going to "question" TM and let him go?

Was he going to hold at gun point him till the police got there and took over?

If I were sitting was in my truck and on the phone with LE, and someone was circling me, I'd drive off to a safe distance and wait for the police to arrive. He still had the advantage and would be in control, TM was no threat.

Wouldn't you? Are you just going to sit there talking on the phone if you're alarmed by this person and wait for LE?

All opinions expressed by me on Websleuths are my very own thoughts, not yours, and are to stay on this website

43. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ILikeToBendPages For This Useful Post:

Which is just a highly "dumbed down" version of CoolEdit, in my opinion based upon the tech info for the software found here: http://www.easyvoicebiometrics.com/d...tionalinfo.pdf

Looking over that, there are 3 methods used by the software:

I think it's safe to say that not only does Mr. Owens' own words contradict his analysis, but the documentation from the software he uses says he shouldn't have even tried.

Edit:
    This is pure speculation from me, but I'm starting to wonder if Mr. Owen had some kind of deal with the developers of the software. It's strangely odd that he made these claims, which we can clearly see that he shouldn't have even by his own words, right after a new version of the software came out. Free nation-wide commercial on multiple networks and outlets?
    Nice work locating that. Nothing about comparing a scream to normal speech either I imagine.

I'm thinking that Mr. Owens wishes he had not gotten involved in the first place. This can't be a good career move. IMO

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phoenixfla For This Useful Post:

I have listened to the 911 call many times. It does certainly seem as though the screaming stops as soon as the shot is fired. While it is obvious why TM would stop screaming, why would GZ? If he were the screamer I don't think he would stop screaming as soon as he fired the shot. He wouldn't know immediately that TM was no longer a threat. It sounds as though the shot actually stops a scream so I think the person screaming was the person shot TM.

47. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Rubys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixfla View Post
    Nice work locating that. Nothing about comparing a scream to normal speech either I imagine.

I'm thinking that Mr. Owens wishes he had not gotten involved in the first place. This can't be a good career move. IMO
    There was one that did speak of comparing tones of voice with emotions, I believe it was the second one listed. If it wasn't the second it was the first, so either way a number of seconds worth of screaming would need to be heard.

Edit: It was the 2nd, the pitch method.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to AJ Noiter For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast