George Lindsey - a.k.a. Goober Pyle - dead at 83

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
George Lindsey, known as Goober Pyle, dies (AP)
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- George Lindsey, who spent nearly 30 years as the grinning Goober on "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Hee Haw," has died. He was 83.
---
Lindsey was the beanie-wearing Goober on "The Andy Griffith Show" from 1964 to 1968 and its successor, "Mayberry RFD," from 1968 to 1971. He played the same jovial character - a service station attendant - on "Hee Haw" from 1971 until it went out of production in 1993.

"America has grown up with me," Lindsey said in an Associated Press interview in 1985. "Goober is every man; everyone finds something to like about ol' Goober."

He joined "The Andy Griffith Show" in 1964 when Jim Nabors, portraying Gomer Pyle, left the program. Goober Pyle, who had been mentioned on the show as Gomer's cousin, thus replaced him.
---
much more at AP link above

rest in peace Goober.
thanks for the laughs and continued laughs on re-runs.

Awww, I watched all those shows growing up (well, Mayberry in syndication and Hee Haw because my parents watched it) and loved "Goober".

RIP George Lindsey.

Rest in Peace Sweet Goober

you filled my childhood with much laughter and joy.

You Rocked Goober

Keep them laughing in Heaven my friend.

xoxo
Goz

Poor, sweet Goober....you will be missed. :(

Remember the episode where his friends try to set him up with a "computer" (what the very first computers were, anyway) dating service?? Totally ahead of their time!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back