Ft.Worth, TX-School Misspells It's Name

TexasRanger

Reaction score
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/09/11616759-f-is-for-fail-texas-school-misspells-its-own-name?lite

Sunrise Elementary School changed it's name to Sunrise-McMillan during the 2003-2004 school year. But, someone accidentally added an "i" (MicMillian) and it was never noticed.

Everything had the incorrect spelling of "Sunrise-McMillian" instead of "Sunrise-McMillan," including the lettering on the building, printed signs, vinyl congratulatory signs, logos and Facebook.

A relative of the teacher the school was named for came forward and told them of the error.

When visiting her class, teacher Jouet Dotson came up with a quick brainstorm on how to teach the new, correct spelling.

"You know how we say there's no 'i' in team?" teacher Jouet Dotson brainstormed. "We could say, 'Well, [at] Sunrise-McMillan, we're a team, so there is no 'i' in the last part of McMillan.'"

Fort Worth ISD is exhausting all resources to correct the mistake with as little cost as possible.

Kinda bad that it takes 9 years for someone to notice this. :banghead: I would of thought the teacher's relatives would of seen at least some of the signs/stationary/Facebook page and complained.

Like Payton Gin road here in Austin - originally named for the Gin owned by Carl Payton. The city misspelled it Peyton Gin and it took the family 30 years to formally request the name be spelled correctly. The city originally refused to spell it right, saying it was too expensive, but then decided that as signage wore out and needed to be replaced, it would be replaced with corrected spelling.

So it's finally Payton Gin. This school needs to do the same thing - as they run out of stationary and whatever it is they have the school's name on, when they replace it, spell it right. ;D

I have a story that's kinda similar:

My grandma's brother's birth name is Gene, but it was supposed to be Jimmy. He was born in 1925 so they had midwives back then, and when they ask my great-grandma what she wanted to name her son, she said, "Jimmy" but her thick Greek accent made it sound like Gene.

But everyone calls him Mikey. :waitasec:

My grandma's brother's birth name is Gene, but it was supposed to be Jimmy. He was born in 1925 so they had midwives back then, and when they ask my great-grandma what she wanted to name her son, she said, "Jimmy" but her thick Greek accent made it sound like Gene.

That makes sense ----sort of. :floorlaugh: The reason no one caught the mistake is because it's a name. How could anyone know it was misspelled?

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/09/11616759-f-is-for-fail-texas-school-misspells-its-own-name?lite

Sunrise Elementary School changed it's name to Sunrise-McMillan during the 2003-2004 school year. But, someone accidentally added an "i" (MicMillian) and it was never noticed.

A relative of the teacher the school was named for came forward and told them of the error.

Fort Worth ISD is exhausting all resources to correct the mistake with as little cost as possible.

Kinda bad that it takes 9 years for someone to notice this. :banghead: I would of thought the teacher's relatives would of seen at least some of the signs/stationary/Facebook page and complained.

After 9 years let it go. JMO

"Her name was McGill, but she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy."
- From Rocky Raccoon by Paul McCartney

My Grandmother wanted to name my father Bobby, not Robert or Bob. The Dr. was a little tipsy the night my dad was born and he wrote Bobbie on the birth certificate. In the early thirties in MS, they didn't know that they could have it changed. He received invitations to join the YWCA all the time.:floorlaugh:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back