Prez comes out in favor of same-sex marriage

Love is love, trying to codify it or ban it is absurd. Another reason I will vote for him. Now if he would just give the Black Hills back. ;)

A better day would have been before the vote. Obama won the vote in NC. Maybe it would have given some folks cause to think about the Amendment before voting for it.

I agree. Or maybe gotten some people to show up at the polls who skipped it thinking, "That will NEVER pass!"

The whole thing irritates me, but as my DH said, the people who are against the amendment obviously don't care enough to take the time to vote. I really can't believe that the majority truly supports it, and I think it was a deliberate act to put it on the primary ballot when there's truly no race anymore instead of in November when lots of people will be voting.

I am thrilled!

I wondered what Biden was up to a few days ago. Setting the stage eh?

North Carolina - where you can marry your cousin but not your gay cousin??

I need to shurrupp - I'm in Texas............:please:

i was happy with obama for doing this, too. i also liked the thoughtful way he made the statement.

the nc vote has been big news here. i'm minutes from there and was watching the vote closely. unfortunately, the lunatics had their way.

my fb page has been filled with people quoting the bible today. they are against gay rights and are all too willing to use the bible to justify a mindset that, imo, is more about judgment, fear, and hate than it is about anything even remotely ''godly.''

shoot, they used the bible to justify not allowing women to vote. they used the bible to justify the ownership of slaves.

sorry for the ot......but yes, i believe that gay couples should be afforded every right under the law that straight couples enjoy. anything less than that is simply unjust. i'm glad obama spoke out......and hope some change will come.

I am thrilled!

I wondered what Biden was up to a few days ago. Setting the stage eh?

North Carolina - where you can marry your cousin but not your gay cousin??

I need to shurrupp - I'm in Texas............:please:

BBM... :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

A better day would have been before the vote. Obama won the vote in NC. Maybe it would have given some folks cause to think about the Amendment before voting for it.

I totally agree with you here. Obama the prez plays things much "safer" than Obama the Senator or candidate. In that respect, he has been a big disappointment to progressives.

But I try to look at the bright side - better late than never, and hope this gives some momentum to the overall movement.

I am very happy he has come out with this statement. I could not be more thrilled. Just wish the people against it would change their mines. They should marry who they love, and not have someone tells them they can't. I can't help but wonder how people against it would feel if they were told what they can and cannot do.

Thank you Mr. President!

I live in NC and voted against banning same sex marriage, Mr wm voted against the ban, and our college age nephew took his final exam for the semester and stopped by the polls to vote against the ban on his way to our house. He was so cute with his I voted sticker on his shirt, lol! (his first election:)

It is interesting that the counties that won the vote against this amendment are all home to a college or university.

We are all taxpayers and the courthouse belongs to everyone. We serve on jury duty, pay fines, apply for permits and licenses, appear in court, etc. It is sad that Gays and Lesbians are discriminated against in the marriage license dept.

IMO this amendment in NC violates the 14th amendment to the US constitution. It is a violation of peoples civil rights.

I do respect the rights of the churches to decline to perform marriages between same sex couples but everyone should be allowed to apply for any license at the county courthouse.

I am glad that POTUS finally took a stand on this issue.

Oh yea, it IS true that one can marry their cousin in NC, just not their gay cousin. Thank you Sally LU!!

MOO

wm

BTW & FYI There is a petition to the Supreme court to repeal this amendment in NC on change dot org.

wm

I'm heart broken that this amendment passed, and that some of the other language was snuck in there too. By the time most preachers were done calling it a law about gay rights, most had no idea the repercussions that will come from some of the language/wording. A lot of people who voted for this bill will be the ones who deal with these repercussions. Just a sad sad day all around.

I'm very proud of the President. I felt in the way he spoke that he was being honest. He came to a decision. He got to know people and circumstances and while I wish it wouldn't have been such a hard decision for him to come to, I am proud that he has said it. This cannot be all good for him. It will be used as ammunition against him @ election time.

That being said I voted against as did the majority of char-meck residents. Too bad there are so many small towns/minds out here in NC.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

The repercussions of the passage of Amendment one have begun.

http://pundithouse.com/2012/05/jame...s-for-same-sex-couples/#.T6r7x3-RYXc.facebook

In that light, James is already pushing Mecklenburg to scrap its policy that provides domestic partner health insurance benefits to employees in same-sex relationships. The county has been offering same-sex benefits to employees since commissioners approved the policy in 2009.

:(

Sadly this is just the tip of the iceberg. This amendment with have repercussions like you would not believe on single mothers and/or divorced families.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

i was happy with obama for doing this, too. i also liked the thoughtful way he made the statement.

the nc vote has been big news here. i'm minutes from there and was watching the vote closely. unfortunately, the lunatics had their way.

61% to 39% and because the vote didn't go your way, they're lunatics? :what: Lunatics really?
Anyone who thinks Obama's endorsement was sincere is a lunatic.

YOU are right....I should have typed Amendment one. Thanks for the correction.

TrackerSam, you thought what a lot of people thought...now that it has already passed, go read the language word for word, and you will see this piece of state sanctioned bigotry for what it is.

My sincerest hopes and prayers are for a presidential override of the state's power on this issue or a repeal.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back