Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Trial Thread 10 May 2012 - Judge's Instructions and maybe deliberations!

Steven D'Souza ‏ @cbcsteve
    Another break, this time 15 minutes. Judge aware of jury's ability to retain information coming at them

Avery Moore ‏ @AveryFreeFMNews
    Justice Heeney is moving through a summary of evidence on #Rafferty's post-offence conduct. Evidence is circumstantial, he told the jury.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    LONDON, ONT.— Science took centre stage at theTori Stafford murder trial Wednesday as the Crown presented, perhaps, the single most important piece of evidence in the case: a mixed sample of DNA found from Michael Rafferty’s blue and green Goodlife Fitness gym bag.

Blood stains on the bottom surface of the bag were determined to be a mix of DNA from three people, two of those nearly certainly Rafferty and Tori, said a scientist with the Centre for Forensic Sciences in Toronto.
    Rafferty can’t be excluded, Tori can’t be excluded from the sample, Jennifer McLean said in forensic lingo. She added the chance that it was from anyone other than Tori was 1 in 28 billion.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...y-s-trial-told
    This has always peeked my curiousity....three people? who is the other persons dna? Was it cross checked by LE in their database?
    Take the road of truth or it will eventually be done for you

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldsoul2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by giantalkinghead View Post
    First degree murder is LIFE.. no chance to apply for parole for 25 yrs.... period
    Yes, but "Life" around here isn't really life. He'll be young enough still when he gets out to do something like this again.

What I was wondering if he'll get double time served for the last three years.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarrieBean For This Useful Post:

... gotta go do some gardening.... checking in later - please the light on !

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    LONDON, ONT.— Science took centre stage at theTori Stafford murder trial Wednesday as the Crown presented, perhaps, the single most important piece of evidence in the case: a mixed sample of DNA found from Michael Rafferty’s blue and green Goodlife Fitness gym bag.

Blood stains on the bottom surface of the bag were determined to be a mix of DNA from three people, two of those nearly certainly Rafferty and Tori, said a scientist with the Centre for Forensic Sciences in Toronto.
    Rafferty can’t be excluded, Tori can’t be excluded from the sample, Jennifer McLean said in forensic lingo. She added the chance that it was from anyone other than Tori was 1 in 28 billion.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/ar...y-s-trial-told
    This has always peeked my curiousity....three people? who is the other persons dna? Was it cross checked by LE in their database?
    Take the road of truth or it will eventually be done for you

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldsoul2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by giantalkinghead View Post
    Guilty of first degree murder is....
    The crown and the defence can appeal the decision based on legal arguments. The defence will have to have grounds to appeal, as will the crown, but the defence choice to present one witness does not constitute grounds for appeal.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsoul2 View Post
    I don't recall anything ever being said about that. It sounded like there were 3 DNA profiles they were concerned with.

Who knows what else could have happened in that car.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CarrieBean For This Useful Post:

Rafferty judge charges jury
    May 10, 2012 11:35am

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/r.../19740536.html
    "The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them."
    ★★★★★ ღ♥Lois McMaster Bujold♥ღ ★★★★★

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Bug For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    It's usually double time for time served before conviction.
    I thought that was abolished, but I guess it's still in the works.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/news-no...doc_32346.html

The idea originally was to encourage the system to proceed without unnecessary delays, but instead it was getting dragged out so the accused when convicted could get out in half the time.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JayFriend For This Useful Post:

what does the jury consist of, regular appointed citizens?

Mike Knoll: - 9 women and 3 men - yes they are regular citizens.

Did jury members take their own notes, occasionally, during the trial?

Mike Knoll: - they are allowed to, yes.

Mike Knoll: Just a reminder that Randy Richmond will be hosting this live feed tomorrow from the courthouse while the jury deliberates. He has been our lead reporter on this story since Tori vanished. He will answer all your questions about the trial and the things the jury didn't hear.
    Randy's chat will start at 10am.
    "The dead cannot cry out for justice; it is a duty of the living to do so for them."

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Bug For This Useful Post:

Will he get 25 years per charge?

Was TLM also charged with kidnapping ?

Mike Knoll: Just a reminder that Randy Richmond will be hosting this live feed tomorrow from the courthouse while the jury deliberates. He has been our lead reporter on this story since Tori vanished. He will answer all your questions about the trial and the things the jury didn't hear.
    Randy's chat will start at 10am.

Yay!
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JayFriend View Post
    I thought that was abolished, but I guess it's still in the works.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/news-no...doc_32346.html

The idea originally was to encourage the system to proceed without unnecessary delays, but instead it was getting dragged out so the accused when convicted could get out in half the time.
    You're right! That law was changed shortly before MR was arrested so he was not grandfathered into the previous law. That's good news.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to otto For This Useful Post:

Apparently I'm totally clueless about sentences, lol. I always thought Life was a maximum of 25 years. Glad to hear that may not be the case.

Can't say I know anything about this stuff first hand. I've managed to avoid the law all my life. In a good way.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CarrieBean For This Useful Post:

Is jury is sequesterd until a verdict is reached, then they may need to deliberate into the weekend I assume. Will court reconvene on weekend if a verdict is reached? Will Randy be covering weekend as well?

Mike Knoll: - yes.

Jurors back.

Heeney going over which evidence he will reference during the charge.

RaffertyLFP: Jury back in Heeney with a review of the"parties to the offense" and how it relates to the Rafferty case

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Bug For This Useful Post:

RaffertyLFP: Heeney says you are guilty if you committed the offense or "aided and abetted" the offense

Heeney tells the jury that for a guilty verdict don't need to take the same path on decision tree. Just need the same conclusion on a charge

31. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Bug For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieBean View Post
    She was 8. I'm not sure what it could be other than blood.
    JMO...saliva or tears?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to crystalsleuth For This Useful Post:

I don't usually get on here much on the weekends, but try to check my email a few times a day.

If a verdict is reached on the weekend, could someone pretty pretty please send me a PM to let me know?

PRETTY PLEASE!

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CarrieBean For This Useful Post:

It's relevant in the instruction to the jury. We certainly won't have a situation where 12 people decide the accused is not guilty because they can't figure out what specific injury resulted in death ... like the CA trial.
    Sorry I still don't see the relevance to recap his POF girlfriends. I don't understand this part of the jury instructions by the Judge. Evidence is evidence and the jury should request clarification if and when they deliberate, if needed. They took notes, I believe they can ask for a part of a transcript to be reread to them, or video or whatever. Why waste all this time recapping witness testimony? It's no wonder it'll take a full day.

bbm

Linda Nguyen ‏ @LindaNguyenPN
    Court is on another 15 min break. Judge has just finished recapping stream of ex-girlfriends who came to testify against #Rafferty in trial
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

RaffertyLFP: Heeney says you are guilty if you committed the offense or "aided and abetted" the offense [via Twitter]

This is what confirms his guilt to me. I believe way beyond a reasonable doubt that he is guilty of aiding and abetting TLM if not more. Therefore, guilty.

39. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TopTop For This Useful Post:

I'm having issues with loading WS! UGH!
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

41. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

RaffertyLFP: Heeney said just "being there" a spectator is not being an aider or abettor

Heeney tells the jury that for a guilty verdict don't need to take the same path on decision tree. Just need the same conclusion on a charge

Heeney going over aiding and abetting, and the law. Says a principal and an abettor are equally guilty of murder.

43. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Bug For This Useful Post:

Judge: Just being there doesn’t make a person guilty as an aider or abettor of any crime.

Judge now discussing law around "Parties to an Offence" as well as Aiding and Abetting.
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

It's usually double time for time served before conviction.
    They got rid of double time for time served/dead time in Canada in 2010 iirc?
    "I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong."~Leo Rosten

“If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” ~Mother Teresa of Calcutta

"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." ~ Marcus Aurelius

47. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flossie JMO For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast