Toddler A Suspected Terrorist?

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Baby, 18 months, ordered off plane at Fort Lauderdale airport

Dad: 'We were put on display like a circus act'

Published On: May 10 2012 12:05:30 PM EDT Updated On: May 10 2012 12:13:43 PM EDT

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -
Eighteen-month-old Riyanna has been called a lot of things: cute, adorable and now, a suspected terrorist.

A suspected terrorist?

That's what she was called that on Tuesday night at the Ft Lauderdale Airport. She and her parents had just boarded a JetBlue flight when an airline employee approached them and asked them to get off the plane, saying representatives from the Transportation Security Agency wanted to speak to them...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...port/-/4714498/13056670/-/qhr1o7/-/index.html

Baby, 18 months, ordered off plane at Fort Lauderdale airport

Dad: 'We were put on display like a circus act'

Published On: May 10 2012 12:05:30 PM EDT Updated On: May 10 2012 12:13:43 PM EDT

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -
Eighteen-month-old Riyanna has been called a lot of things: cute, adorable and now, a suspected terrorist.

A suspected terrorist?

That's what she was called that on Tuesday night at the Ft Lauderdale Airport. She and her parents had just boarded a JetBlue flight when an airline employee approached them and asked them to get off the plane, saying representatives from the Transportation Security Agency wanted to speak to them...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...port/-/4714498/13056670/-/qhr1o7/-/index.html

That's frickin ridiculous. I think there is more behind this story. JMO

Probably just someone with the same name. My dad has the same name and age as an IRA terrorist, so he has to deal with a lot of extra questioning/confirming identification when he flies. While it's possible the family was profiled as they claim, it could simply be that their daughter does share the same name as someone on the no fly list.

But wouldn't it be kind of obvious that a toddler is younger than anybody with the same name who has earned enough of a reputation to be on the no-fly list? The chances are she wasn't even born yet when the namesake allegedly did something-or-other.

TSA is unbelievable. First off, if the kid's name was on the no-fly list why didn't they catch that BEFORE the passenger got on the plane?

Secondly the fact the parents are saying they were targeted because they dress in conservative Muslim attire really peeves me off. No they were targeted because the NAME matched a suspect.

I truly hate the TSA, they really enjoy the power to humiliate American citizens. Last time I flew out of LAX I saw a woman in a FULL floor length hijab go through security without so much as a question, yet the same agents demanded that I remove my thin sweater and demanded that another born and bred american man remove his baseball cap.

Why should we have to remove light outer layers of clothing while someone can wear a frickin' TENT through security without so much as a whisper from them? I have no problem with Islam but how dare Muslims claim they are being targeted when in fact they get SPECIAL PRIVILEDGES from the TSA!

Add that to the fact that the US KNOWS surface to air missles are a much greater threat than toothpaste, yet they don't plan to install anti-aircraft defense systems on US planes (like all Israeli planes have) they prefer to enforce stupid pointless rules; force American's remove their shoes and give up their toothpaste instead. It is so not about security or saving lives. It is a big joke on the American public and the public still believes "it is to keep us safe!".

But wouldn't it be kind of obvious that a toddler is younger than anybody with the same name who has earned enough of a reputation to be on the no-fly list? The chances are she wasn't even born yet when the namesake allegedly did something-or-other.

Well, the family said they stood in the terminal for 30 minutes - about the time it would take to verify that they were two different people. I really don't think 30 minutes is excessive, to be honest. Since my dad more closely matches a terrorist on the list, it usually takes an extra hour to get him through security.

Usually I'm no fan of the TSA, but I think the family may be overreacting in this instance.

I've had only one negative experience with TSA but it was enough to frighten me :eek: into never saying a word to these agents. My sister and I had been on a 7-night Caribbean cruise during Halloween week a few years ago. When we went through security at the Fort Lauderdale airport for our flight to Detroit, we were sent to different lines to keep the process moving along. I went through the procedure with no problem and went to sit down to put my shoes back on. I expected my sister to appear shortly, but she was nowhere in sight.

I walked a few feet toward the security checkpoint and noticed that her carry-on bag was still in the bin on the table at the end of the line that she had entered. I glanced around and saw my sister being questioned and searched by two TSA agents - one male, one female. I wasn't sure what to do, but my sister looked frightened and frustrated. I started walking toward her but noticed that she had been given the go ahead to retrieve her bag.

Long story short: My sister had purchased an inexpensive bracelet during one of our port calls. Evidently, the bracelet was cheap metal that caused security beepers to sound; hence, the search. My sister made the mistake of mentioning "that it must be (her) bracelet" :what: The TSA agent didn't give a hoot about her jewelry and asked a female agent to join him for the body search.

Lesson learned: Don't say a word to TSA personnel. Just do what you're told, don't ask questions, and don't make comments about their procedures.

Enjoy your day.

My father had the same name as some guy on a watch list. He had to fly frequently for his work as a private investigator. His plane tickets always had a little code on the bottom corner that would alert the agents to search him, so every single time he had to fly, he got a pat down. It had to have been tiresome, but he thought it was funny. Somewhere there's probably a woman with the same name as the child in the story above, and the system alerted to her name.

Interseting thing about TSA: They have yet to stop a terrorist, find an explosive, etc. I think there's talk of allowing airports to go back to using their own security, what with all the complaints about TSA and lack of any real usefulness.

Anytime me and my family fly (usually a total of 6-7 of us at a time) we always bet on who will be called to be searched more closely. :floorlaugh: My 7-year-old niece is the only one in my family who has never been pulled to the side and she gets upset everytime she is not picked. It was my 17-year-old niece (15 at the time) who got picked last time. We took pictures!! We laugh about it.

I think people really need to get over it. It is not TSA's employee's fault. They are just doing their job. It is mostly random, I believe? So anyone can be picked? I wouldn't want their job as I would be reminding any and everyone what happened on September 11th, 2001 everytime they complained and I would tell them they need to take a bus or a boat if they don't like it!

MOO

Anytime me and my family fly (usually a total of 6-7 of us at a time) we always bet on who will be called to be searched more closely. :floorlaugh: My 7-year-old niece is the only one in my family who has never been pulled to the side and she gets upset everytime she is not picked. It was my 17-year-old niece (15 at the time) who got picked last time. We took pictures!! We laugh about it.

I think people really need to get over it. It is not TSA's employee's fault. They are just doing their job. It is mostly random, I believe? So anyone can be picked? I wouldn't want their job as I would be reminding any and everyone what happened on September 11th, 2001 everytime they complained and I would tell them they need to take a bus or a boat if they don't like it!

MOO

BBM

I would if I could pat down the hot chicks. :innocent:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member