Thread: MN - Hermantown, WhtMale (UP10270), 30-50, Osteoartheritis-Walked With Limp, Apr'76

MN - Hermantown, WhtMale (UP10270), 30-50, Osteoartheritis-Walked With Limp, Apr'76

I could not find a thread on this John Doe, and nothing at all on NAMUS or Doe Network. If anyone can track anything on those sites, please post the links. I thought I would create a thread in case anyone can find a link....

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/eve...cle/id/231138/

The Hermantown Police Department hopes that advances in DNA analysis and new information will finally give a name to a man whose skeletal remains were found more than 36 years ago.

“I hope they are able to find his relatives,” Paula Stocke said. “To think that there is a person who is missing, maybe not connected to anybody, is sad.”

Stocke and her sister discovered the man’s skeletal remains in the woods behind their family’s new home on what is now the 3900 block of Lavaque Road on April 16, 1976. Stocke was 5, her sister 8 or 9.

“Just shortly off the lawn area we found the skull,” Stocke said. “We grew up around the woods, so we knew bones of animals. We knew this was a human skull.”

Some further reading -

http://fox21online.com/content/new-d...eletal-remains

Some further details on the stats/measurements of this man...

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...150854885.html

The John Doe is a white male that had advanced osteoarthritis and walked with a limp. He had Dentures and was between five foot three and five foot eleven.

Objects at the scene also give some insight into his identity.

"Also located was a cigarette lighter, with letters on the base of ATC and lux Japan, as well as several coins, silver in nature with the most recent mint date of 1961."

Still, authorities say, despite all this information, the likelihood of identifying this man remain low.
    Last edited by CarlK90245; 03-24-2013 at 05:08 PM.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...t=38237&page=2 George Hawkins, has the limp, dentures, right time frame.

George Hawkins
    Missing since April 3, 1961 from Newport, Campbell County, Kentucky.
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Vital Statistics
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 46 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 190 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. He wore dark-rimmed glasses.
    Marks, Scars: Had a childhood injury/illness that left him with one leg an inch shorter than the other. He wore one built-up shoe to compensate for the difference in the length of his leg bones.
    Clothing: Dark blue trousers, with red-and-black flannel shirt under a dark blue jacket with yellow lining and a blue-gray hat.
    Jewelry: Yellow-gold masonic ring with emblem, and yellow-gold watch with leather band.
    Dentals: Full upper and lower dentures

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ginestra For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ginestra View Post
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...t=38237&page=2 George Hawkins, has the limp, dentures, right time frame.

George Hawkins
    Missing since April 3, 1961 from Newport, Campbell County, Kentucky.
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Vital Statistics
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 46 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8"; 190 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. He wore dark-rimmed glasses.
    Marks, Scars: Had a childhood injury/illness that left him with one leg an inch shorter than the other. He wore one built-up shoe to compensate for the difference in the length of his leg bones.
    Clothing: Dark blue trousers, with red-and-black flannel shirt under a dark blue jacket with yellow lining and a blue-gray hat.
    Jewelry: Yellow-gold masonic ring with emblem, and yellow-gold watch with leather band.
    Dentals: Full upper and lower dentures
    Wow, good find!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to deca For This Useful Post:

I went ahead and sent this info to hermantown police dept, via email, perhaps I will hear back. It does seem like alot of info matches up, although there is a bit of distance. I am wondering if the property he was found is tied to the banker, mob people, etc......

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ginestra For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ginestra View Post
    I went ahead and sent this info to hermantown police dept, via email, perhaps I will hear back. It does seem like alot of info matches up, although there is a bit of distance. I am wondering if the property he was found is tied to the banker, mob people, etc......
    ginestra, well done on sending this info in on the connection you made. It might not be a match but it is definitely a possible match given the similarities.

I am new and primarily a lurker. I was checking in because I am curious if there are any updates. I saw this story on my local news, so I was especially interested when I came across this thread. That was quite a find,ginestra!

About the property, I am not sure if it helps, but LE announced during a press conference that the house had only been built approx 5 years before the remains were found. Prior to that, the area was sparsely populated and heavily wooded. Not that it means that land could never have been owned by anyone prior to its development.

I hope they can find his identity. It would be something if this guy turned out to be the match and it sure sounds plausible.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ShyViolet For This Useful Post:

I talked to the grandaughter via Pm, she said they were in contact with Hermantown police, and hermantown police also emailed me back and said they were checking into it, but that there was no male relatives to compare dna to. That is the last I heard. Maybe she will update us, I do have a feeling these things take awhile sometimes.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginestra For This Useful Post:

Here's the NamUs casefile for this UID:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/10270

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarlK90245 For This Useful Post:

New article to say an update is due tomorrow on this case, with a facial reconstruction....

http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...210998521.html

Update Expected on 1976 Hermantown Cold Case
    June 11, 2013 Updated Jun 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM CDT

Hermantown, MN (NNCNOW.com) - Hermantown police say they'll announce an update to a 1976 cold case Wednesday.

On April 16th, 1976 police found a dead human body in the yard of a residence on the 3900 block of Lavaque Road in Hermantown. The identity of the person is still unknown.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ctaylor For This Useful Post:

Joey: Yeah. It's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's MOO".

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShyViolet For This Useful Post:

Do you think he looks like George Hawkins? I thought something about lips/mouth area were similar.