Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: NC - Davina Buff-Jones, police officer murdered in Bald Head Island, 1999

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    4,034

    NC - Davina Buff-Jones, police officer murdered in Bald Head Island, 1999

    This case involving the death of an officer on Bald Head Island, N.C. is being reopened by the current DA. It was originally ruled a suicide, but prior to the shooting the female officer can be heard on radio calls telling someone to 'put down the gun'. How it was ever ruled a suicide to begin with escapes me.

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    4,034

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    4,034
    Quote Originally Posted by gracielee View Post
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNm-AgLoA6I"]Davina Buff Jones - YouTube[/ame]

    Interesting video including the last transmit by Davina, telling someone 'there are no guns allowed on Bald Head Island.'

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    6,912
    Glee, I found this -- lots of sections of info about the case -- I have not read it all by a longshot, but I thought it might be informative. I hope it's okay -- if not, let me know, and I'll delete this post.


    http://www.officerdavinabuffjones.com/index.html


    All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
    _________________


    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II



    The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

  8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    4,034
    Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post
    Glee, I found this -- lots of sections of info about the case -- I have not read it all by a longshot, but I thought it might be informative. I hope it's okay -- if not, let me know, and I'll delete this post.


    http://www.officerdavinabuffjones.com/index.html
    Thanks borndem! That site looks pretty comprehensive, I want to check it out. This case has always interested me. Years ago one of my daughters usd to nanny for a family that has a home on Bald Head, and she & the other nanny would take the kids to Bald Head for extended vacations during the summers. I never believed this poor woman committed suicide. Who in their right mind would, especially after hearing her voice on the radio call she made to dispatch.

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    4,034
    I ordered the book written by Davina's sister today. I hope it will be a good read.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    42
    Many families cannot accept a loved one's suicide. Some deal with it privately while others go on crusades.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Falcon500 For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NC - the triangle
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandObserver View Post
    Many families cannot accept a loved one's suicide. Some deal with it privately while others go on crusades.
    Very true, however, this police officer was in communication with dispatchers, and was shot at point blank range in the center of the back of the head. - and had NO gunshot residue on her hands. I wouldn't accept that premise, either! Especially since she had made a TO DO list for the following day which included errands. The more I read about the shoddy investigation...the madder i GET!
    "I hope that someone gets my message in a bottle..." Sting

  16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to laces For This Useful Post:


  17. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NC - the triangle
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by gracielee View Post
    I ordered the book written by Davina's sister today. I hope it will be a good read.
    oH YES,it's a good read. I have gone through it in one day. Cannot put it down.
    "I hope that someone gets my message in a bottle..." Sting

  18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to laces For This Useful Post:


  19. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NC - the triangle
    Posts
    331
    I always have been interested in going to Bald Head Island - because it looks so heavenly, just beautiful. But after looking at this case, and hearing her voice saying, "put the gun down..." and then that horrible screeching noise, which was probably a gun to her head....It doesn't seem like such a safe place to be. If I do go, now it will be for another reason...to see where this little package of female dynamite was killed. All she wanted was to be a good police officer. I feel for her parents and family and hope that the truth will finally come out. I know her parents will not rest until it does!
    "I hope that someone gets my message in a bottle..." Sting

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to laces For This Useful Post:


  21. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    4,034
    Quote Originally Posted by laces View Post
    Very true, however, this police officer was in communication with dispatchers, and was shot at point blank range in the center of the back of the head. - and had NO gunshot residue on her hands. I wouldn't accept that premise, either! Especially since she had made a TO DO list for the following day which included errands. The more I read about the shoddy investigation...the madder i GET!
    It wasn't only a shoddy investigation, it was a cover-up. The entire crime scene was hosed down in what was it, 12 hours? No time to even go back and check for evidence or take 'day time photos'. By the time the sun came up the crime scene was gone, as if it never was.

  22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:


  23. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    4,034
    Quote Originally Posted by MarylandObserver View Post
    Many families cannot accept a loved one's suicide. Some deal with it privately while others go on crusades.
    I'm sure that's true, but that's not what happened here. The evidence all points towards an execution style murder. And two separate commissions, state and federal, found this to be a homicide and not a suicide.

  24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:


  25. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in the moment
    Posts
    5,838
    gracielee, Thank you for starting this thread for Davina. I have read the book by Elaine Buff and really liked it. We e-mailed a few times and EB was hopeful for the old DA, Rex Gore, to be voted out and for Mr David to be voted in so the case would possibly be reopened. Nice lady!

    Davina's name is not read at the national day of remembering fallen officers because Gore ruled her death a suicide. Very sad for her family.

    I submitted Davina to the forensic astrology forum over a couple of years ago and a chart was done by LeoMoon. I'm sure if I can link since that forum is closed for discussion but for anyone who cares to read it go to the Forensic Astrology forum>CASE BRIEFINGS only-#1> page 19>post 475.

    Davina was murdered. I suggest everyone read the book 'Out With Three'. This was a good ole boy cover up, IMO.

    http://womenincrimeink.blogspot.com/...-paradise.html

    moo and all that jazz.

    wm
    Last edited by waltzingmatilda; 06-05-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: add link
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

    Numbers,32:23

  26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:


  27. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.C.
    Posts
    4,034
    Quote Originally Posted by waltzingmatilda View Post
    gracielee, Thank you for starting this thread for Davina. I have read the book by Elaine Buff and really liked it. We e-mailed a few times and EB was hopeful for the old DA, Rex Gore, to be voted out and for Mr David to be voted in so the case would possibly be reopened. Nice lady!

    Davina's name is not read at the national day of remembering fallen officers because Gore ruled her death a suicide. Very sad for her family.

    I submitted Davina to the forensic astrology forum over a couple of years ago and a chart was done by LeoMoon. I'm sure if I can link since that forum is closed for discussion but for anyone who cares to read it go to the Forensic Astrology forum>CASE BRIEFINGS only-#1> page 19>post 475.

    Davina was murdered. I suggest everyone read the book 'Out With Three'. This was a good ole boy cover up, IMO.

    http://womenincrimeink.blogspot.com/...-paradise.html

    moo and all that jazz.

    wm
    Thank you so much 'tilda! I don't know how to find the forensic astrology forum? I read the other link you provided, women in crime. Interesting to get some feedback from the orig. author of 'Out With Three'.

    Does anyone have any idea who the 'high ranking official' with the 'white van', living on the island is?

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:


  29. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in the moment
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by gracielee View Post
    Thank you so much 'tilda! I don't know how to find the forensic astrology forum? I read the other link you provided, women in crime. Interesting to get some feedback from the orig. author of 'Out With Three'.

    Does anyone have any idea who the 'high ranking official' with the 'white van', living on the island is?

    Glee, IIIRC, that person was the AG in '99 who went on to be elected gov in 2000, IMO, JMO, MOO. I spent alot of time at BHI up til 2001. Heard all the rumors of the planes without lights making drops at night. It is really dark and spooky at night. I could tell a few tales about things that went on over there in the '90's but will save that for later. I remember '99 real well because we won a fishing tournament that summer.

    That disgraced sheriff, RH, was convicted of OJ and sent of to that cushy federal prison where Madoff resides, Butner? He is out now and last I heard he works for a car dealership. Anyway, a documentary was made about him which should be available on Netflix. (that's where I rented it) It is called The Work Series: Sheriff. It basically follows RH and his posse around while they attempt to solve crimes but gives insight into his character. He is the one who made the insensitive comment to Mr and Mrs Buff that maybe Dee laid down to kill herself when they questioned how it was possible that she committed suicide. Small man, Big ego. He claimed to have pentagon clearance. If true, why would the pentagon give clearance to this piddly small town sheriff from rural SE NC?

    ALL MOO

    wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

    Numbers,32:23

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to waltzingmatilda For This Useful Post:


  31. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NC - the triangle
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by gracielee View Post
    I ordered the book written by Davina's sister today. I hope it will be a good read.
    I could not put it down! I hope the family can get the justice they deserve.
    "I hope that someone gets my message in a bottle..." Sting

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laces For This Useful Post:


  33. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NC - the triangle
    Posts
    331
    Bald Head Island is exquisite, just beautiful. I get some mailers from them, as I had wanted to visit. I still might, but to tell you the truth, I have the creeps now about it after finding out about this case. It certainly is a beautiful place, no question.
    "I hope that someone gets my message in a bottle..." Sting

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laces For This Useful Post:


  35. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in the moment
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by laces View Post
    Bald Head Island is exquisite, just beautiful. I get some mailers from them, as I had wanted to visit. I still might, but to tell you the truth, I have the creeps now about it after finding out about this case. It certainly is a beautiful place, no question.
    Oh laces, You should go visit. It really is beautiful and full of mystique. I don't feel that you would be in any danger. Kate Gosslin and her brood vacationed there.

    I hope my post didn't frighten you. Summer is a good time to visit and there is lots of fun stuff to do. (The island is more desolate and isolated and spooky in fall and winter tho.)

    Also, Southport is such a quaint little town with lots of unique shops and good seafood which is well worth a visit!

    It's only a short drive down 40

    moo

    wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

    Numbers,32:23

  36. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    171
    anybody else smell Cover-Up??

  37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wv171 For This Useful Post:


  38. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Posts
    6,912
    Quote Originally Posted by wv171 View Post
    anybody else smell Cover-Up??

    And here comes the Understatement of the Year: There is lots & lots & lotsa money on BHI; money talks and BS walks.

    It's hard for some folks to stand up to some of those big money folks -- they're paying their salaries, and some of the $$ folks know people in powerful positions or make it sound like they do.... It's the way things seem to work -- and being on the outskirts of heady stuff like that can certainly throw your equilibrium into quite a whirl. I'm definitely not sympathizing or defending anyone, but I'm just saying that's the way it is with some folks... And we had this there at BHI those days, I'm sure. And I'm also sure that there are other folks on that island who would have none of that kind of thing from either side of the aisle, so to speak.

    And it is a gorgeous place...
    Last edited by borndem; 06-10-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: typo


    All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.
    _________________


    This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II



    The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

  39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:


  40. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8

    Thank you!

    On behalf of the family, I would like to thank everyone who has supported and continue to care about the death of my sister Davina. Thanks for extending me the opportunity to join here. We have two goals: first, the name of the person(s) who did the actual killing; second, those who planned and covered up the murder. In some ways I believe the latter group is more guilty than the first. The family has suffered for a long time; if there is any law left worth defending in this county, it should be the one that hold offenders accountable for harming police officers on duty. It is despicable to me that in my sister's case, law enforcement helped deny her justice. Again, I am happy to be here.

  41. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ElaineBuff For This Useful Post:


  42. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    in the moment
    Posts
    5,838
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineBuff View Post
    On behalf of the family, I would like to thank everyone who has supported and continue to care about the death of my sister Davina. Thanks for extending me the opportunity to join here. We have two goals: first, the name of the person(s) who did the actual killing; second, those who planned and covered up the murder. In some ways I believe the latter group is more guilty than the first. The family has suffered for a long time; if there is any law left worth defending in this county, it should be the one that hold offenders accountable for harming police officers on duty. It is despicable to me that in my sister's case, law enforcement helped deny her justice. Again, I am happy to be here.


    Elaine, Thank you for joining WS and stating the goals of your family. I agree, it is despicable that law enforcement helped deny Dee justice.

    Do you think that the new DA has the names of the three hispanic men? They were supposedly checked out, right?

    I also have a favor to ask of you. (if you have time) Do you have any links bookmarked about the case throughout these past years that you can share with us? I lost all I had saved a few months back when my laptop crashed.

    I'm glad you are here!

    wm
    ...and be sure your sin will find you out.

    Numbers,32:23

  43. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    When someone is going to commit suicide with a handgun they usually will put the gun in their mouth, or to the temple. Not to the back of the head. This sounds like an execution.

  44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mac62 For This Useful Post:


  45. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6,781
    Quote Originally Posted by gracielee View Post
    This case involving the death of an officer on Bald Head Island, N.C. is being reopened by the current DA. It was originally ruled a suicide, but prior to the shooting the female officer can be heard on radio calls telling someone to 'put down the gun'. How it was ever ruled a suicide to begin with escapes me.
    its about time they re-opened this case! i never believed that she committed suicide....

    thanx for the update, i really didnt think they would ever get it re-opened.

  46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nervous_nellie For This Useful Post:


  47. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    8

    Bits and Pieces

    wm, here are some of the articles or videos that were after the SBI and the DA refused to reopen Dee's case. The latest one is from the new DA where he asked for information from the public. The reporter from Channel 11 in Durham was a very young reporter for WECT in 1999. When she saw where the case was being reopened, she sought to do the story several weeks ago. She did an excellent job interviewing Dad and she surprised the former DA and he comes across looking and sounding like the 'person' he is.

    Yes, the DA does have the names of the three Hispanics. They went over on the 6:00 ferry that night and left on the first ferry in the morning after they had filled out that sorry excuse for an investigative sheet for the police. They were working at the time in Charlotte, NC for a company that does lawns and such. What they were supposed to be working on all night is anybody's guess. And, nobody knows where they spent the night. At the time I came across the rap sheets on them, it was over 75 pages. Five years, at least, after the Bald Head Island chief tried to get someone to question them and was refused by the BHI officials, the SBI came and told us that the men had been cleared. But then, later, we found out that the SBI agent here had called an SBI agent in Charlotte who called the employer of these men. He declared that they were all church-going, tax paying good citizens. One of the men got a DWI in Raleigh the next week, so my definition and his do not agree. As a matter of fact, the new DA has an identical twin brother who is DA in neighboring New Hanover County. Jon David has a photographic memory. The two brothers worked in Dade County, Florida before they came here. When Jon read the info about these three Hispanics, (one of which was supposed to have been deported), he remembered them from court down there. I hope the info I've seen along is helpful.

    One thing I can add, as much as I find it repugnant. There is a young man interested in writing a book about this case. He and his family used to vacation on BHI. When he approached the family, we decided to decline his invitation to work with him. We believe the story is told. He informed me it was poorly written and needed his skills (he is a tv reporter in Va.) to tell it better. He has nagged me wanting me to send him all the information from my book. (Apparently he has no idea of how much he was talking about me copying to send him). Further, I don't like doing his leg work for him. Any penny we get from the sale of the book goes into the fund to help others later. He certainly hasn't mention any donations from his book. I have had him get others to approach me through email to ask questions, too. The last time, I told this person to go to the new DA if he wanted new info. The reporter told me he had connections on the island. If he finds new info, somebody will be in trouble for not coming forward, is all I can say. Plus, he'll be hard pressed to find more than we have. We just need to get some people on the stand in a courtroom. So if he should stumble across this discussion and I realize it's him, I will get really quiet. My sister doesn't deserve his self centered, career climbing goals. On the other hand, the girl from Channel 11 contacted the DA first before talking to any of us. She didn't have to do that, but it shows to me that she is a professional, interested in helping the case, just like she said.
    What goes on in the dark comes to the light.

  48. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ElaineBuff For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. PA Police Officer Five Others Murdered Only One Arrest
    By Filly in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-14-2012, 01:06 PM
  3. SC Toby Jermele Bing (18) - Hilton Head Island SC, 1999
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2010, 01:28 AM
  4. Solved MN - Police officer James Sackett, St. Paul, murdered 1970
    By mmohucap in forum Resolved Cold Cases
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2006, 06:42 PM
  5. Police Officer Murdered in Windsor, Ontario
    By cappuccina in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2006, 12:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •