Maine man who cared for NE's tallest elm (and called the tree "Herbie") dies at 103

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Maine man who cared for famed old tree dies at 103
PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- Frank Knight's decades-long battle to save New England's tallest elm served as an inspiring tale of devotion, so it is fitting that he will be laid to rest in a coffin made from the tree he made famous.

Knight, who died Monday at 103, had affectionately referred to the 217-year-old elm nicknamed Herbie as "an old friend." The massive tree succumbed to Dutch elm disease and was cut down two years ago.

Wood from the tree was made into a casket, a secret that was kept from Knight.

"To have them together like that is a wonderful thing. I feel like Frank took good care of Herbie. Now Herbie will take good care of Frank," said Deb Hopkins, a close friend who succeeded Knight as the town's tree warden.
---
Mr. Knight waxes philosophic:
At age 101, Knight was sad but realistic when the 110-foot-tall tree finally met its demise.
---
"It's been a beautiful tree. I'm sorry to see it go. But nothing is forever," Knight said. "It's pretty near my turn. And it's just a fact of life that life is going to end. And that's for people, for trees, for everything. I thank the good Lord every day that we had him in his glory and beauty for so long."
---
the rest of the excellent article at AP link above

Very cool story. What an amazing story. So sweet they saved some of Herbie for Mr. Knights casket. Neat how they spent so much time together here on earth, they'll be eternally together. Neat to see all the funds raised by Herbie too. Very touching story.

I fall in love with trees, too. It's so heartbreaking when one goes down... but, in this case, seems a couple of full lives were lived. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back