GUILTY NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #6

borndem

Anglophile & registered demwit
Reaction score
Here one that is quite a bit more newsworthy:

Williford's ex-girlfriend could be reluctant witness
A witness in the Jason Williford murder trial is begging to be kept off the witness stand.

May 8, 2012 1:01:31 PM PDT | abc11.com
TAGS:
homicide, kathy taft, wake county

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8653434
Wow! A very chilling reminder of how many people have been devastated by this crime and how many more lives will never be the same. I can see why she wouldn't want to testify, for sure. I can see why JF doesn't want to testify, too. But I think it's important that both of them do, terrible as it will be. Like I said before, I'll be glad when it's all over with.

Just what kind of _______ was/is this man?

I had read about the ex-girlfriend's "go round" with him much earlier here on WS when she spoke about him, but for this, even now, to upset her this much, he must have been some kind of awful something-or-other.

I hope she can think about her testimony as a shot across the bow of his evilness and somehow have it empower her to rise up and overcome it, slap it down, and stomp it. (I hope that makes sense.)
And I hope she has a good friend who can boost her ego & self esteem & pride so that she will see this as a positive thing for her & for all women who are treated so badly by men who use the word "love" for evil & and hurt. This is such a sad thing to hear.

And it makes me wonder if JF may be feeling a bit the same way -- maybe she's made of more steel and will walk in that courtroom & calmly just tell it. I'll be thinking strong thoughts for both of them.

Ohh, I just don't understand this whatever-it-is that he & his ilk possess. Grrrrrr.
:maddening:
icon8.gif

Here is WRAL's article on the ex-girlfriend (at least I think this is the same person).

Posted: April 21, 2010
Updated: April 22, 2010
Taft murder suspect described as 'emotionally unstable'

Raleigh, N.C. — The man charged with rape and murder in the death of State Board of Education member Kathy Taft had a protective order filed against him several years ago alleging that he was "emotionally unstable" and that his "violence is unpredictable."

(excerpt above) -- here's the link for the article itself:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/wral_investigates/story/7461290/

Every time I see a courtroom clip on the jury selection of JW, I can't help but wonder the following:

1) Is he still at Central Prison after being taken there not long after his arrest for KT's murder? It looks as if he still is, since it is indicated on his NC DPS Offender Public Information record. I have stuck a bit of it below... and that's what is shown by the pieces of his record I have pasted below. Please excuse the "hacked-up" look of it...

2) Every day JW is brought into the courtroom and returned to a cell somewhere. Are "they" (whoever would do it) transporting him to the WC Courthouse from Central Pr
ison and then back again every day? This seems costly, a security risk for JW's escape and for his own safety. The schedule would be roughly the same every morning & every afternoon. I'm sure he his shackled up and down, etc., but still, I just wonder about it. That's why most prisoners stay in the the county courthouses until and during trial. I know that special circumstances could cause a prisoner to be taken to Central (suicide watch, medical problems, etc.), since the co. courthouses are not equipped for all types of problems, but still, it's just a little sideline mystery to me.

Anybody have any inside knowledge of this little factoid??

Here is a link to his entire DPS (used to be "DOC") record:

http://webapps6.doc.state.nc.us/opi...turl=pagelistoffendersearchresults&listpage=1

[SIZE=+1]JASON WILLIFORD[/SIZE] Offender Number: 0599876 Probation/Parole/Post Release Status: INACTIVE Gender: MALE Race: WHITE Ethnic Group: EUROPEAN/N.AM./AUSTR Age: 32

Most Recent Incarceration Summary
spacertbl.gif
spacertbl.gif
spacertbl.gif
spacertbl.gif
spacertbl.gif
spacertbl.gif
Current incarceration record is unavailable at this time.

This article from this morning was just updated a few minutes ago. Three alternates have been seated....

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Trial_In_Kathy_Taft_Murder_To_Begin_148488345.html

ETA: Here's WRAL's recap of today's jury status. One more to go!

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/Trial_In_Kathy_Taft_Murder_To_Begin_148488345.html

To wit:

Raleigh, N.C. — After more than five weeks of jury selection, only one more alternate juror is needed in the murder trial of Jason Williford, a Raleigh man accused of killing state school board member Kathy Taft in March 2010.

As of Monday, attorneys had seated 12 jurors and three alternates. Opening statements could begin as early as Wednesday morning, if the final alternate is selected Tuesday.

Taft, who was appointed to the State Board of Education in 1995 by Gov. Jim Hunt, was recovering from surgery when she was attacked on March 6, 2010. The 62-year-old died three days later.

Williford, 32, could face the death penalty if he's convicted of first-degree murder.

I don't have any inside info on the defendant's location, but I would guess that he would stay in Central prison throughout the trial. That's just my guess. It's only about a mile from the courthouse.

They have more of a facility to treat him there than the jail. And that might be important if he has the mental health issues the defense claims he has. If I were the state, I would want to make sure that he is getting all mental and physical health care that he needs during this trial, so he can get through it without any delays or problems. I wouldn't want to give them any opportunity to claim he can't continue because of lack of care.

I don't have any inside info on the defendant's location, but I would guess that he would stay in Central prison throughout the trial. That's just my guess. It's only about a mile from the courthouse.

They have more of a facility to treat him there than the jail. And that might be important if he has the mental health issues the defense claims he has. If I were the state, I would want to make sure that he is getting all mental and physical health care that he needs during this trial, so he can get through it without any delays or problems. I wouldn't want to give them any opportunity to claim he can't continue because of lack of care.

Thanks, Prancy, for the well-thought comments. You're so right -- the PT doesn't need anything to not be as right as possible for this biggie. It appears that the DT is gonna be telling what they hope is a sad (or whatever the correct adjective turns out to be) tale for JW as part of his defense, and Saacks & Co don't need to add to it.

And yes, it's not that far from CP to the courthouse, and I'm sure they're taking people at least to Central from WCCH every day anyway from the results of pleas & other trials! The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh (as they say).

Seating this jury has really been a trip (and it's not quite done yet) -- I wonder if it will be a record-breaker in terms of time it takes to find & agree on 16 people...

Stick around -- the fireworks should start any day now!
icon12.gif
icon10.gif

Channel 11 4:00 pm is still reporting 'one more alternate juror needed' before the trial can start.

Hello to all my old friends here. Looking forward to following this trial with all of you in hopes for justice for Kathy Taft!

First of all, Hi :seeya:to you, glee! :loveyou: I was just about to post a Hello to you anyway... :great:

Thanks for opening the thread on Dee. I remember reading about the event -- another odd one.... How could ANYBODY see the bullet injury that she suffered and think about anything close to suicide? And the why... Arrrgggghhhh! But I did not know it is being "revived."

Here ends the O/T.

Are you gonna follow the Taft trial and the DBJ cold case, too? Just go ahead and put your sleeping bag on the couch, a case of chocolate and a cooler nearby, and settle on in... You can do your gardening during the long lunch breaks!! Clean the house???? Short answer, "No," long answer "He!!, no."
:what:
icon12.gif
icon10.gif

I just got a Facebook update that the Taft trial will begin tomorrow. Yes, I plan on trying to follow this one, probably won't be able to follow as closely as the young trial. So much going on right now in 'real life'. :banghead:

I don't know if anything will come of the Bald Head Island case or not, but I certainly hope so. Her poor family, all these years.

Too much to do all the time. Why is life so busy. :rocker: Too much crime, so little time. :please:

According to WTVD, they are going with 3 alternates and O/S will begin tomorrow.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8662518

Here 'tis:

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Opening statements are scheduled for Wednesday in the case of a man accused in the brutal murder of N.C. State Board of Education member Kathy Taft.

Related Photos

Kathy Taft case
View all 31 photos

The trial will begin at 11 a.m. with 12 jurors on the main panel and only three alternates.
Jason Williford has pleaded not guilty in the 62 year old's March 2010 rape and killing at a home in Raleigh. He could face the death penalty if convicted.
Police have said Williford attacked Taft inside a home on Cartier Lane in the late night hours of March 5 or the early morning hours of March 6. She died at WakeMed a few days later.
The former member of the State Board of Education and her sister were housesitting at the Raleigh home while Taft recovered from a surgery.
Her sister found her bloodied body and lab results revealed the state school board member had been sexually assaulted and had a deep cut on the back of her head.
Related Content

Story: Williford's ex-girlfriend could be reluctant witness
Story: Jury selection starts in Kathy Taft murder trial
Story: Suspect pleads not guilty in Kathy Taft's death
Story: Kathy Taft murder suspect in court

Police said Williford, a Raleigh musician, lived in an apartment around the corner from the home where Taft was staying when she was attacked.
Taft served on the State School Board for 15 years - the longest tenure of any current member. She also ran unsuccessfully for a state Senate seat in 2008. Prior to that, she served on the Pitt County Board of Education.

Hello to all my old friends here. Looking forward to following this trial with all of you in hopes for justice for Kathy Taft!

Great to hear from you, go!! :seeya:

Glad:skip: you're gonna be here! :winko:This one may take a few weird turns, sounds like to me...

Positive thoughts for Kathy and all her folks.:justice:

Sounds like we start tomorrow at 11:00, according to WTVD news.

:lepsmilie:

Ohmygoodness--looks like we are getting close. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date, borndem! It would be great if openings started tomorrow. Do we know for certain that WRAL is streaming the trial?

- Yes, NCB WRAL will be covering this trial!

WTVD will probably cover it, too -- I'll try to confirm -- they usually do the same as WRAL.

Here's a grab from Prancy's link to WRAL's announcement of O/S beginning tomorrow morning:

"Raleigh, N.C. — Attorneys are expected to present opening statements Wednesday in the first-degree murder trial of a Raleigh man accused of killing state school board member Kathy Taft two years ago. (Watch proceedings live on WRAL.com, beginning at 9:30 a.m.) ...'

Thank you, Prancy!!!

from http://www.wral.com/specialreports/kathy_taft/story/11070679/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail