Page 10 of 110 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by seattlechiquita View Post
    Hi everyone, new to the case and this thread ---been hanging out with the Tammi Smith trial peeps,who are fun!

The live feed is not working for me
    Hi, seattle -- Welcome! Court is on lunch break & should resume at 1:45 EDT.

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

2. The Following User Says Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post
    No offense taken by me, Boodles -- and I was thinking last night about the parade of psych doctors we're gonna have to endure and who knows what else that this DT is gonna put up there. What a lot of work, expense, dirty laundering, and mud-slinging will likely occur in this courtroom...

BUT -- If a deal couldn't be made -- ASSUMING one was offered, and I have no idea at all if one was made and let me add that I am in no position to know... what else could the State of NC do? Pressure was on from the Governor on down for the perpetrator to be found & charged & tried....

So, IF LWOP was offered & refused, what else could CW do? No way on earth would he have made a deal for less, IMO, and he shouldn't have, IMO.

Again, I agree -- this trial has already hurt people in such an ugly way -- to pile more stuff on top of what has already happened ....

But IMO, something has to be done to keep this man away from society and to make him pay -- at least in part -- for the cruelty and hurt and theft-of-life he did to KT and her family and the People of the State of NC.

(I surely hope this post will be taken the way it was intended. )
    If LWOP was offered and refused, I have no issue, as this guy absolutely needs to be locked away forever and day at minimum. But I suspect LWOP wasn't offered (just my speculation, as I think since they're admitting his involvement, they would have taken that sentence).

I guess this is all quite political.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Boodles For This Useful Post:

Hi, seattle -- Welcome! Court is on lunch break & should resume at 1:45 EDT.
    Thanks lady and greetz from the land of over-priced coffee and under-dressed people!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seattlechiquita For This Useful Post:

I'm a bit confused. Did this a-h confess in open court and the trial is still proceeding?

Prancy - I'm just getting in, too, but I did see the part about the suspect who rode a moped. He was Cornelius Sands (I hope I got that right), and he had asked for handyman work in the Cartier neighborhood. So the RPD followed him so that they could possibly obtain DNA, which they did. Of course, it was negative.

Did anyone come to your house -- before the incident -- to ask for odd jobs, etc.?
    Yes, that's the one I was in question about. No, I don't recall anyone coming to my door about doing handyman work. Of course, I would have been suspect if someone had tried at that time. I would not have opened the door though. I don't open the door for someone I don't know who they are and why they are there. I was like that before the Taft murder too.

Here's an article on voluntary intoxication and diminished capacity in NC as it relates to jury instructions. I thought it was interesting.

http://www.ncids.org/Defender%20Trai...-LisaMiles.pdf

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Prancy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Boodles View Post
    If LWOP was offered and refused, I have no issue, as this guy absolutely needs to be locked away forever and day at minimum. But I suspect LWOP wasn't offered (just my speculation, as I think since they're admitting his involvement, they would have taken that sentence).

I guess this is all quite political.
    JMO, but I'd guess they are going for less then LWOP, hence the need for a trial. JW has that narcicisstic type personality again, IMO. And they've taken on this whole 'everybody else is at fault but our poor, mentally ill, client.' I think they are going for much less than LWOP. I'm reminded of that other distant N.C. case. Perhaps borndem can help me here, the guy who shot & killed a number of people and ended up in Dorthea Dix, was his name Michael something or other?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:

I'm a bit confused. Did this a-h confess in open court and the trial is still proceeding?
    His attorney conceded the fact that his client raped and bashed in the head of Kathy, but he was on drugs & intoxicated at the time, and of course his 'mental illness'. Coming from a family of alcoholics and nutty people, it just wasn't his *fault*.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gracielee View Post
    His attorney conceded the fact that his client raped and bashed in the head of Kathy, but he was on drugs & intoxicated at the time, and of course his 'mental illness'. Coming from a family of alcoholics and nutty people, it just wasn't his *fault*.
    Maaan, that's effed up.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seattlechiquita For This Useful Post:

What the heck, as someone said earlier, why go through the chain of evidence and procedure when they already conceded that JW did beat and rape Ms. Taft (without thinking or planning, of course)?

Seems like the DT would tread carefully on casting aspersion on LE, etc. when it has already been conceded. I would worry about alienating the jury if I was part of the DT.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boodles For This Useful Post:

It does seem ridiculous to dredge up all the scientific procedures since, as you folks are saying, he has admitted to the crime...it seems to me the trial should be about mitigating the circumstances pertaining to his punishment..maybe someone can explain why all this type of testimony is neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by kate42000 View Post
    It does seem ridiculous to dredge up all the scientific procedures since, as you folks are saying, he has admitted to the crime...it seems to me the trial should be about mitigating the circumstances pertaining to his punishment..maybe someone can explain why all this type of testimony is neccessary.
    I think he's looking for the jury to find him guilty of something less than first degree murder, and then possibly finding him 'too mentally ill at the time' to be held responsible for his actions. Stick him in the nut house for a short time, get him on meds, and then hopefully he can skip merrily out on the street once again. Go off his meds, drink, use more drugs, and we'll be right back where we are again.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:

I'm disappointed we can't see this video? The victim had long been removed from the scene, why can't we see the video???

22. The Following User Says Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gracielee View Post
    I think he's looking for the jury to find him guilty of something less than first degree murder, and then possibly finding him 'too mentally ill at the time' to be held responsible for his actions. Stick him in the nut house for a short time, get him on meds, and then hopefully he can skip merrily out on the street once again. Go off his meds, drink, use more drugs, and we'll be right back where we are again.
    So true gracielee..we read about these stories over and over again..

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kate42000 For This Useful Post:

They've got him dressed like a choir boy....geez. Remember defense team the juries are stupid.(well maybe CA's was, but most aren't!!!!!!!!)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kate42000 For This Useful Post:

Maaan, that's effed up.
    Pssst Tammi verdict in. To be read at 3:30 EST I guess 1230 for you
    My Twitter handle is @Lovemypupper . I had to change it due to rabid Kate Gosselin fans. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

Page 10 of 110 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast