Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1647

Thread: NC - Trial for the Murderer of Kathy Taft, May 16, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by gracielee View Post
    OT/ Finally a trial date set for Raven Aboroa, late October, 2012. Although they've been stacking up, at least they are moving along now. Anybody know when, what was her name, Ackerman??? the young mother murdered by the father of her kids and his new wife??? Isn't that one scheduled for early next year?
    Don't know about Ackerson (is it? maybe between the two of us sharpies, we'll land on it!). That trial will be here in Wake County, so there's no tellin.'

What you said sounds about right, but I've seen nothing on it lately...

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
    William Shakespeare, King Richard II

The Angel of the Waters, Bethesda Terrace, Central Park, New York City

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Hey all,
    I decided not to listen today so I missed his ex-girlfriend's testimony. I'm glad I missed it. I don't need to hear anything more about what evil things Jason has done. This evening, I've been trying to listen to the WRAL recordings of his dad, Keith (who I met a few times and thought was a very sweet, friendly man. He came over here and took over the lawn duties that Jason had been doing, after Jason was arrested.) It got too intense for me so I had to shut it off. I also tried to listen to Miss Edna, his grandma, for a while. Again, way too much for me to handle.
    The scope of Jason's crimes is incredibly wide and deep. I suffered plenty and I was just his neighbor for a few months. I cannot imagine what Kathy Taft's family has gone through. I can't bear to listen to his family talk about how much he's hurt them, as well. Jason never needs to get out of jail but I can't deal with hearing any more from the people he's devastated. I am officially putting this terrible last two years in my past. I just can't take it anymore.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to no1uknow For This Useful Post:

no1~ I've been trying to listen to today's testimony as well and I feel the same way... I can't get through it. I know it's even more personal for you. I can't blame you for wanting to put this behind you. I hope you will continue to check in here. I will be praying for you.

PS You're number 1, not no-one

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rigby For This Useful Post:

Rigby, I'll check in until this is all done and over with. But I can't listen to any more testimony. I had a lot of questions when this trial began, some of which have been answered and some of which will probably never be answered. I can't say I could ever understand why it happened but I know that my heart is too hurt from what I've already heard to be able to hear any more.
    Like I said, I was just his neighbor for a few months. Still, being here at that time was life-changing. What I have gone through is NOTHING compared to what Kathy's family has been through. He ended Ms. Taft's life, brutally. He devastated the lives of her family, Jessica's life, his ex-girlfriend's life, the lives of his entire family and he's put a huge scar, that will never go away, on so many other lives.
    I'm a grown woman but I'm only a few years older than Jason is. While I came from a fairly sheltered place, where I know not of a single murder ever taking place in my hometown, I would see that murders took place in a populated area such as Raleigh-Durham all the time. However, I had NO IDEA how truly devastating it is when someone has their life stolen away from them until this happened. I don't think anyone can possibly understand how far-reaching and horrific MURDER really is until you find out it has had it's dark, icy fingers creeping around your front door. Kathy Taft's family knows what it's like and, in fact, they know what it's like for murder to come slithering through the door, taking the life of their mother, grandmother and sister.
    I don't have a strong opinion on whether Jason gets the death penalty or not. I think it's very unlikely he will and I think life without parole is good enough. But if that SOB ever somehow gets out of prison, I will move as far as I possibly can to be away from wherever he's going to be.
    Last edited by no1uknow; 06-04-2012 at 08:42 PM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to no1uknow For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gracielee View Post
    One of my daughters was a real *challenge* to raise. She tried to get in with certain *crowds*. But mom didn't work ( outside the home ), mom became quite adept at honing detective skills. Snooping, questioning, interrogation processes, etc. Lot's of kids hung out at our house after school, because I was a stay at home mom. Anyway, she was a challenge. When she turned 18, graduated, I told my friends "I was thrilled I'd managed to keep her alive, not pregnant, and graduated from high school.' But my job didn't end then, she still needed somebody keeping track of her goings-on. Now that she's a mom of a couple kids, one special needs, she's cried and apologized to me for 'all she put me through' growing up. She says 'now that I've had children of my own I truly understand how much you loved me and tried to keep me safe.' I write this in response to nature vs. nurture. Anybody else have thoughts on that? My other daughters were really easy in comparison. Not that they didn't have their moments, but certainly nothing as continuous and intense.
    Oh, yes, I was most definitely a challenge for my mother. Later, after having my own children and growing up, I apologized profusely to her. It still wasn't enough. I'll always regret what I put her through.

IMO

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diphi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by no1uknow View Post
    Hey all,
    I decided not to listen today so I missed his ex-girlfriend's testimony. I'm glad I missed it. I don't need to hear anything more about what evil things Jason has done. This evening, I've been trying to listen to the WRAL recordings of his dad, Keith (who I met a few times and thought was a very sweet, friendly man. He came over here and took over the lawn duties that Jason had been doing, after Jason was arrested.) It got too intense for me so I had to shut it off. I also tried to listen to Miss Edna, his grandma, for a while. Again, way too much for me to handle.
    The scope of Jason's crimes is incredibly wide and deep. I suffered plenty and I was just his neighbor for a few months. I cannot imagine what Kathy Taft's family has gone through. I can't bear to listen to his family talk about how much he's hurt them, as well. Jason never needs to get out of jail but I can't deal with hearing any more from the people he's devastated. I am officially putting this terrible last two years in my past. I just can't take it anymore.
    I thank you, uknow, for sharing with us what was a horribly frightening and earth-shaking part of your life. I sense that it has eased a bit now that you know he will never put his foot down on any city street unless it's in chains. I am glad you had someone close to you that helped you -- and you, her -- stand up and go about your life, one day at a time.

We are all much richer for having known you while we were together on this odd, unreal, and all-to-real piece of the planet -- it has now changed its color. I hope your sleep is smoother and your nerve and spirit strong after you "come down" a bit from this last chapter of "the horrible thing."

May your finger-picked banjo music sail out into the world, and may your voice rise up to the clouds and make folks tap their feet and clap their hands! May you and your roomie have ice cream together, and may the crick behind you now sing a new song to you. The bad thing is gone and the air is crisp and clean. Sing a new song and dance a new dance.

With love and carrying fond memories of your fighting spirit,
    borndem

All posts, unless attributed, are "just my humble opinion," and they are to remain here in Websleuths and are not to be used elsewhere. Thank you.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

morning, all. anybody here?
    "I hope that someone gets my message in a bottle..." Sting

14. The Following User Says Thank You to laces For This Useful Post:

It has occurred to me that maybe Jason is relieved to be in the prison environment. He has boundaries, he will not have the freedoms he had before to make the wrong decision. All the structure he needed is already put in place. The largest problem will be protecting him from other inmates, or from finding some way to commit suicide. How sad to have to be put into confinement to have the boundaries of your life made secure.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to laces For This Useful Post:

Mornin' Peeps, hope everybody--espeically Glee--is well this morning. I tuned in to see the last 15 minutes of who was he....Warden Aiken? Very impressed with him. I don't know if I am going to sit here all day if the defense will be continuing their parade of character witnesses but I do want to hear from the Taft children if they speak. So I'll be in and out.
    Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
    ............Harper Lee

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

I'm here, laces!! Good point about the benefits of prison for JW. We were told by his mother, IIRC, that he did best in a structured environment. And in any prison, as far as I know, there are cells for "safe-keeping" if an inmate needs to be taken out of harm's way, so he should be okay in this regard -- no need for worry about him; no need for a bleeding heart (which I often am -- but not for this piece of human ugly).

[Court break till 10:45]

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to borndem For This Useful Post:

Well, what the heck? No Taft family?? What happened?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gracielee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by no1uknow View Post
    But if that SOB ever somehow gets out of prison, I will move as far as I possibly can to be away from wherever he's going to be.
    He'll never get out. Life without parole means what it says. The only way he's getting out of prison is in a pine box.
    Debate is healthy. Let freedom ring!

I had a 90 minute phone call from my MIL and missed everything after the warden. Now I am not getting any video at all from WRAL or the Durham station. Can somebody please bring me up to date on what's going on? Thanks so much!
    Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.
    ............Harper Lee

Talking

they are on lunch break till 1315, i think! I mean, one fifteen. today was interesting, to me, so far. JW's aunt testified, and It was a good testimony for the LWP aspect of things, to me. They also heard from a consultant regarding what life in federal prison will be like.....not very much fun, I'm afraid. It was interesting. There is still a LOTTA testimony to come, and a lot of details that I'm not sure I can keep up with today. Hello to everyone! Be well, I am back to work tonight.

There's no more testimony to come. They dismissed the jury for the rest of the day and will hold a charge conference and other matters between the defense and prosecution for the remainder of the court day.

Closing arguments for sentencing will begin tomorrow morning.

The case will be in the jury's hands by tomorrow afternoon.

from WRAL: Just In: Both prosecutors and defense attorneys have rested in the sentencing hearing of Jason Williford, who could face the death penalty for the 2010 murder of state school board member Kathy Taft. Attorneys are expected to present final arguments Wednesday morning before jurors deliberate his sentence.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madeleine74 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by laces View Post
    they are on lunch break till 1315, i think! I mean, one fifteen. today was interesting, to me, so far. JW's aunt testified, and It was a good testimony for the LWP aspect of things, to me. They also heard from a consultant regarding what life in federal prison will be like.....not very much fun, I'm afraid. It was interesting. There is still a LOTTA testimony to come, and a lot of details that I'm not sure I can keep up with today. Hello to everyone! Be well, I am back to work tonight.
    Thank you so much. I didn't know if they were finished with all of it or just what.
    Get some rest since you will work tonight.
    ............Harper Lee

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine74 View Post
    There's no more testimony to come. They dismissed the jury for the rest of the day and will hold a charge conference and other matters between the defense and prosecution for the remainder of the court day.

Closing arguments for sentencing will begin tomorrow morning.

The case will be in the jury's hands by tomorrow afternoon.

from WRAL: Just In: Both prosecutors and defense attorneys have rested in the sentencing hearing of Jason Williford, who could face the death penalty for the 2010 murder of state school board member Kathy Taft. Attorneys are expected to present final arguments Wednesday morning before jurors deliberate his sentence.
    Thank you, I got lost with the long phone call and have had yet another since my original post asking for catch up help. I may have to turn my ringer off, or not, if things become boring. Thanks again.
    ............Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post
    O/T

Abaroa blurb.

Set to go at the end of October in Durham County. I ASSUME this year... they did not say. Maybe more info a bit later...

End O/T
    --- that a-hole ruined the name Raven for me.
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seattlechiquita For This Useful Post:

So did the Taft family not give any sort of impact statement?

They did not give any testimony during the sentencing phase. Any kind of statement would be something they'd give after or right before sentencing was imposed by the judge, if they wanted. I don't believe they will say anything in court.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Madeleine74 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by borndem View Post
    Don't know about Ackerson (is it? maybe between the two of us sharpies, we'll land on it!). That trial will be here in Wake County, so there's no tellin.'

What you said sounds about right, but I've seen nothing on it lately...
    The victim is Laura Ackerson. The defendants are Grant and Amanda Hayes/Haze. Can't wait for this one.
    ............Harper Lee

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NCEast View Post
    The victim is Laura Ackerson. The defendants are Grant and Amanda Hayes/Haze. Can't wait for this one.
    W.T.F. I just read the background on this case. This is too wrong, too sad. Why do we do this sh11111t to each other?
    Don't take yourself so seriously... nobody else does.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seattlechiquita For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by seattlechiquita View Post
    W.T.F. I just read the background on this case. This is too wrong, too sad. Why do we do this sh11111t to each other?
    I'm really looking forward to the Haze/Hayes trial--if there is one--but it's going to be somewhat gruesome which I don't like. I honestly felt that Amanda would have been singing her heart out, telling the goods on Grant to anybody who would listen by now in an attempt to save her own life. they have a young baby together and had custody of Grant's 2 other kids with Laura A. It's very nasty, evil....the kind movies are made from.
    ............Harper Lee

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCEast For This Useful Post:

Does anyone have a feeling as to which way the jury will go on the Williford sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by Prancy View Post
    Does anyone have a feeling as to which way the jury will go on the Williford sentence?
    IMO, the chances are slim to none for the death penalty. I had the charge conference on in the background, and I don't even get the impression that the State is hot for it. But again, it never made sense to me that the DP was sought in the first place.

I will be shocked in disbelief if that's their sentence. My bet is the jury will come back rather quickly with a LWOP decision. What do you think?

ETA: now the Ackerson case - to me, THAT should be a DP case! They premeditated an ambush on Laura, and then chopped her up, rented a U-Haul and drove her body parts in coolers, with the CHILDREN IN THE CAR, to Texas. It's too bad GH and AH aren't being TRIED IN TEXAS! I bet they blame each other! But I don't think Amanda is a remotely innocent party - she can claim PPD, but I bet she was an equal co-conspirator. It will be very interesting though. I wonder if she may have knocked off one of her prior husbands as well.

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boodles For This Useful Post:

Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast