UK - Mystery of fire pit mum: strange case of Fazakerley, Liverpool, remains

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Missing for almost three years, yet remains had been left at site where they were found only for an estimated 6-8 months.

Remains in Liverpool belong to missing Paula Hounslea
Human remains found near a disused railway line in Liverpool are those of a woman who disappeared from home three years ago, police have said.

Paula Hounslea, then 37, from West Derby, was last seen by her family when they went for a meal on 22 August 2009.

Her remains - which had burn marks - were found in a disused fire pit next to the Liverpool Loopline in Fazakerley on 5 May.

Merseyside Police said her death was being treated as unexplained.

Forensic tests have revealed her body was placed in the pit some time between last Autumn and the start of the year.
---
more at BBC news link above
---
On Saturday August 22, 2009, Paula, her brother and two sisters met for a meal at a Chinese restaurant for Moira’s birthday. The family dropped her at her home in Liverpool.

The following morning she went into her teenage daughter Lois’s bedroom to tell her she was going to “stay with a friend” for a few days.

She never turned up. There were cash withdrawals from her bank account in the first 10 days after she went missing but there have been no leads since. Paula had texted her friend to say she “needed to go away for a few days” but was never seen again.
---
more at Mirror link below:

Mystery of fire pit mum: Body found of mother missing for three years

And of course Daily Mail has the whole long story, with pictures and bullet points:

Mystery surrounds discovery of single mother's body dumped near
disused railway line 'in February' after she went missing in 2009

• Paula Hounslea vanished in 2009 after birthday meal
• Remains found 12ft down embankment in a fire pit
• Discovered last week, three days after her parents made public appeal for information
• Detectives treat death as 'unexplained' and refuse to rule out foul play
• Tests show body could have been set on fire on site
• Officers probe suspicious fire in the area in last year

Police start to piece together last movements of murdered mum Paula Hounslea (Liverpool Echo)
Tests on human remains have confirmed a mum missing for close to three years was killed.

Over the past fortnight, police have tried to establish if Paula Hounslea, found on Liverpool’s disused loop line railway, was murdered.
---
Her body was unearthed in a fire pit close to an old embankment, and detectives considered if someone attempted to set fire to her close to that scene.

The possibility remains Ms Hounslea was murdered elsewhere, and moved to the railway line.
---
Further mysteries include her cash card being used to withdraw money within the next ten days, a disconnected phone call to a friend, and an attempt to book a hotel room where she never arrived.
more at Echo link above

Yikes. Unexpected.

Daugher questioned over killing Liverpool mum Paula Houslea (clickliverpool.com)
The 21 year-old daughter of a woman whose charred bones were found three years after she vanished has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Lois Hounslea was arrested by detectives investigating the death of Paula Hounslea who disappeared after celebrating the birthday of her mum, Moira, in August 2009.

The former Broughton High School pupil was nicknamed "Loey" by her mum and made a tearful appeal for her return last Christmas.

She said: "It is the only present I want, that any of us want."

It is a dramatic twist in a three year investigation to find out what happened to Paula Hounslea after she allegedly told Lois she was going to stay with a friend.

Police have also confirmed that a 20 year-old man is being quizzed on suspicion of murder.
---
more at link above

Wfgodot, they mention the possibility that the remains were moved there, do you feel like she was alive for a while or maybe that she was killed and put elsewhere for a while before moving them to the fire pit? Going back now to reread all the articles (probably should have done that first) and see if I can find anything out. Very strange case indeed! I am not familiar with this story, do you know if the police had suspected the daughter for a while or if this was some new sort of break through?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wfgodot, they mention the possibility that the remains were moved there, do you feel like she was alive for a while or maybe that she was killed and put elsewhere for a while before moving them to the fire pit? Going back now to reread all the articles (probably should have done that first) and see if I can find anything out. Very strange case indeed! I am not familiar with this story, do you know if the police had suspected the daughter for a while or if this was some new sort of break through?

Good questions. As Lois the daughter was the one who told police her mum had told her that she was "going to stay with a friend" for awhile, she was natually I would think first on LE's list of people to eliminate in the death. She also made the tearful plea at Christmas for her mother's return - not long before the remains were found and identified, indicating, perhaps, that the bones had been moved and then placed at the Fazakerley site, almost guaranteeing her "wish" would be answered.

Still - a bit of a shock, to me at least.

OK so I've read through quite a few articles on the web and the ones here that are active links. My question is I have seen over and over that she tried to call a friend and attempted to book a room. Where did this come from. O mean, if the phone call didn't go through or was cut off shortly after connecting, did the friend for sure know it was her? Same with the hotel. Sorry if these are crazy questions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard
Back