AZ AZ - Grand Canyon, 'Little Miss X' UP9859, Wht/Hisp Fem, 11-17, nail file case "P" & "R", Oct'58

talelights

I dig teaspoon by teaspoon
Reaction score

1193UFAZ.jpg
1193UFAZ1.jpg
1193UFAZ2.jpg
1193UFAZ3.jpg
1193UFAZ4.jpg

Artistic rendering (NCMEC); Sketches from circa 1970; Personal effects and jewelry

Need help to find burial records of any unidentified persons interned in Coconino County cemeteries. Of importance are the records for "Little Miss X".

Is anyone available who can help search?

The remains of Little Miss X were found in the late 1950's and thought to be the missing daughter of Peter and Helen Smith of WY who went missing from a summer camp in Connecticut.

In 1960's the Remains were hand carried to a dentist in South Dakota and on to Denver for forensic study before being returned to Coconino County. The results, inconclusive.

Question is where is she now? We have people willing to exhume the remains for DNA testing and a death certificate but with no information as the plot number. Records found are sketchy.

Please contact me either on this forum or private message. There are families still waiting.

Thanks for any help provided.

<MOD NOTE: Several original links throughout the thread were broken and have been edited to include the current link (when available) and images as of October 8, 2022>

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the million dollar question for sure and I hope the answer is found. I don't believe that Connie is Miss X and I don't believe that Miss X was ever buried (sadly).

Try to bump this in a few days when everyone takes a break from the Anthony case and will maybe read about a few other cases.

Is she believed to have been buried and the records of the location lost? Or is it believed the remains have been lost?

With little knowledge of this case the first thing that comes to mind is seeking out those who post cemetery records on the findagrave website, but if people have been sleuthing the location of these remains for sometime perhaps that avenue has already been explored?

Is she believed to have been buried and the records of the location lost? Or is it believed the remains have been lost?

With little knowledge of this case the first thing that comes to mind is seeking out those who post cemetery records on the findagrave website, but if people have been sleuthing the location of these remains for sometime perhaps that avenue has already been explored?

Cubby,

Someone did post a phone number for the "Citizens' Cemetery" in the same county, specifically with reference to 'Little Miss X' on the findagrave site in the discussion section, but I'm fairly new and not sure if I can post the link here. That said, it didn't take too much creative Googling to find it...

Unknown at this time where any remains are. New evidence found included materials that has not produced DNA, yet. And yes this is tied to both Connie Smith And Donnis Redman cases hence the need to find the remains for testing. Family DNA is already on file. Family has been waiting more than 50 years for answers. Is she Connie Smith or is she Doonis Redman maybe neither. But they will not know until we find the remains.

Perhaps someone in Flagstaff has Cementery records or information someplace, on a desk or thrown in an old drawer or box maybe first hand knowledge. But so far the hunt is turning up little. A LE Cold Case investigator is actively involved on both LMX and Redman.

Lost or misplaced? We don't know. The cemetery has a location where unknown are interned but the records there have been miss placed. At least that is what we think, not the remains themselves.

In saying that, one thing that came up is that these remains, not a full skeleton, could be held someplace in a box awaiting the next step that never came. LE have been making great progress in Flagstaff to use retired LE to research and investigate these cold cases. there are still a lot of question out there, and hopefully answers to some of the questions. But there is still work to be done.

Finding burial records are vital.

The Citizens Cemetery seems to be the most likely resting place for the remains, assuming of course that they were ever interred... This cemetery apparently serves as the Potters' Field for the county. However, record-keeping is going to be the issue. Nothing short of an actual visit to the cemetery and review of records is likely to reveal any pertinent information.

You are right about Citizen Cemetery, Shadowangel, I was in touch with someone who went to the cemetery to search but the records are in such disarray. The county library has the original cards, in a box I think, so it looks to be a bigger job than just looking for a card to copy information. It may take a full-time researcher/investigator to narrow the search. Maybe this Spring will bring more results.

As far as the DNA testing on evidence found by the Coconino Sheriff's office the last I knew they have not had any luck and until DNA testing gets a little more advanced it may be a while more. The DNA may need to be replicated before it can be tested, but I will check again.

The cemetery records are available, but what is not available is a legend that deciphers where the graves are. Where LMX is said to reside, is a 40 acre plot of grass that has no markers.

So until we can find a map or graph we may never find the remains. Unless someone can come up with a suggestion or method of locating the graves

Are there any numbers or coding systems on any of the cemetery files? Its possible the caretakers used their own system for tracking burials which might, with some work, be deciphered.

Barring that, it really seems like an impossible task. There are possibly hundreds of graves in that 40 acres.

(My own familiarity with this cemetery comes from the fact that many of the victims of the tragic 1956 midair passenger liner collision over the Grand Canyon are buried here).

Can we please look into this and help me.Are these remains found October 31 1958 Little Miss X? Is there any more on her found?

and who is Mary M Begay? Where and when in 1957 did she come up missing from?

Is there any more information on any of these two?

http://www.coconino.az.gov/sheriff.aspx?id=16622

Mary M. Begay was reported missing in 1957. Skeletal remains were found just outside the Grand Canyon on October 31, 1958 and were believed to be remains of Ms. Begay's; no positive identification was made.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back