Match! MO: Michaely, William Harry Jr. born 12/4/1945 Found 9/27/2008 # 174

This one has definitely been a challenge. I found that Mr. Michaely was a Vietnam War veteran and is buried at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery in St. Louis, MO. I would like his family to at least know of his service to his country.

Since he is listed as "Jr.," I started from there. The records I found showed him as related to a LM, likely his mother. Her obituary was published in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on January 28, 1998, but I was unable to find a copy in the newspaper's archives. I did find her SSDI record which showed she would have been 38 when Mr. Michaely was born, if she was his mother.

Searching for William Harry Michaely, Sr., I found a 1930 census listing in St. Louis, but as there was no middle initial or name provided, hard to say if this is the right person. I tried to trace the family of this WM's listed sister, MEM, but I couldn't find any search results for her.

Returning to my search for LM and that side of the family, I came across this snippet posted in an ancestry.com board:

Wm. H. Michaely and Lucille Joos, both of St. Louis, MO.

Source: Franklin County Marriage Licenses. June 4, 1942 The Ozark News [hard copies of newspapers provided by Bob Pierce]
This fits Mr. Michaely's birth year of 1945 nicely. I searched for Lucille Joos in St. Louis and found a listing in the 1930 census where someone with that name is a stepdaughter of JJ with two sisters, MJ and AJ.

I am currently searching to see where MJ and AJ's family trees ended up to see if there is a cousin somewhere who could be contacted about Mr. Michaely. It might not be the right family tree at all, but currently the scant clues point this way.

Let me know if I can provide assistance or work the contacts for you!

You are awesome! NM

Thanks, NM!

I've searched around, but can't find what happened to Lucille Joos' siblings, Audrey and Marie Joos. They are listed here and I thought perhaps I could trace out who they married or any children, but no luck so far.

Perhaps someone with more genealogical experience can try?

Also, I can't find Lucille Michaely's obituary online even though the St. Louis Post-Dispatch does have some records online and the St. Louis Public Library has a record of it being published. St. Louis Post-Dispatch 1998 obituaries are supposedly online, but maybe its sporadic or only paid announcements are. If anyone can find her obituary to see what it says, that would be interesting!

Tifflee, I don't mean to recover any ground you have been over already! I'm making notes about what I find as I go.

William H Michaely was listed in public directories at this address:

William H Michaely
Birth Date: 4 Dec 1945
Address: PO Box 291, Sainte Genevieve, MO, 63670-0291

Which is also the address for Lucille Michaely here:

Lucille Michaely
Birth Date: 1 Aug 1907
Address: PO Box 291, Sainte Genevieve, MO, 63670-0291

So that proves there is a connection. They shared a mailbox. Likely are mother/son as Tifflee's research indicated

Lucille Michaely
Birth Date: 1 Aug 1907
Address: 3909 Germania St, Saint Louis, MO, 63116-3028

Lucille Michaely
Birth Date: 1 Aug 1908
Address: 4160 Bates St, Saint Louis, MO, 63116-2902

OK :) !!!

Now on to sorting out the right Lucille Michaely from the census records. This is a challenge because ancestry is linking her to a Lucille McBeth born in California. I'm not thinking that is correct as of yet. I'm not finding any Lucille Joos links other than the above marriage record.

Father:

William H Michaely
Birth Date: 30 Jun 1910
Address: 4160 Bates St, Saint Louis, MO, 63116-2902

So, he shared an address with the Lucille above and likely the husband

death I think:

William Michaely
Last Residence: 63116 Saint Louis, Saint Louis City, Missouri, United States of America
Born: 30 Jun 1910
Last Benefit: 63116 Saint Louis, Saint Louis City, Missouri, United States of America
Died: Aug 1980
State (Year) SSN issued: Missouri (Before 1951)

Can't find anything further right now . . . moving on for now. I will be back!

One interesting thing I DID learn is it seems there is a French/Canadian link to the Set Genvieve town. Similar to the Louisiana Acadians or Cajuns that were kicked out of Canada. Might explain why Mr Michaely ended up in LA. Everything else about his parents and himself indicates a long time in Missouri. Maybe he had distant relatives in LA? I'm just speculating now.

I will call the ME we have become friends. I work a lot for her on other cases, that are not unclaimed.

Name: William Michaely
Birth Date: 4 Dec 1945
Death Date: 27 Sep 2008
Branch 1: ARMY
Enlistment Date 1: 24 Apr 1967
Release Date 1: 24 Dec 1968

Name: William Michaely
Born: 4 Dec 1945
Died: 27 Sep 2008
State (Year) SSN issued: Missouri (1964)

I believe Lucille's sister Marie died in Los Angeles, CA in 1979

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back