Match! Meeks, Clayton Gennies born 12/22/1937 found 3/17/2006 # 198

This one is a bit of a puzzler. The only trace of a "Clayton Gennies Meeks" I can find is in the SSDI. That's not the puzzling part, though.

I found a mention of a "Clayton G Meeks" on two genealogy pages: Here and here. No birthdates listed.

I decided to pursue the lines of the two potential siblings, AGM, Jr. and KSM. First, everything I found on AGM, Sr. and AGM, Jr. was based out of Pitt, NC. Mr. Meeks passed in Charleston County, SC, but per his SSDI entry, his SSN was issued in NC.

His SSDI entry says:
First Name: Clayton
Middle Name: Gennies
Last Name: Meeks
Name Suffix:
Birth Date: 22 December 1937
Social Security Number: 245-56-7146
Place of Issuance: North carolina
Last Residence: Charleston, South carolina
Zip Code of Last Residence: 29406
Death Date: 17 March 2006
Estimated Age at Death: 69
The North Carolina Birth Index has this entry:
Name: Clayton James Meeks
Event: Birth
Event Date: 22 Dec 1937
Event Place: Pitt, North Carolina
Other Birth Location: Carolina
Father: Arthur J Meeks
Mother: Lubey Lee James
Page: 406
Volume: 24
Same birthdate, same first and last name (but not middle), and also in Pitt, NC. However, the father and mother are completely different. Maybe a genealogical mix-up or this is the same person, but some sort of merged family?

The SSDI entry I found for a KSM says:
First Name: Kenneth
Middle Name: S
Last Name: Meeks
Name Suffix:
Birth Date: 19 June 1940
Social Security Number: 245-56-6578
Place of Issuance: North Carolina
Last Residence: Cook, Illinois
Zip Code of Last Residence: 60650
Death Date: 2 December 1988
Estimated Age at Death: 48

The SSN serial numbers (the last four) are relatively close, too. It makes me feel like Clayton Gennies Meeks could be the Clayton G. Meeks listed in the genealogical pages, and perhaps he also went by Clayton James Meeks? Red herring possibilities as well.

I can't find Pitt, NC as a current town reference - likely they are referring to Pitt County, or the town of Pitt no longer exists?

Finally, one of the genealogy pages is the merger of eight family historians' research. There is an email contact. I may email out and see if the contact has any information! Update: The email is no longer active and I think I found a listing on a genealogy membership page that the page creator has passed.

Ok, there is a Pitt county NC? I will do property searches there. Will update will I get new info, I will contact local LE in that area. Off and away.
Raine

There are 72 pages of Meeks in Pitts county, I may be awhile there

Info about his death

Circumstances
On Friday March 17, 2006 at 12:37 pm I received a call from a No. Trident Hospital nursing supervisor who reported that Clayton Meeks was a 68 year old white male who was brought to the emergency room by EMS from White Oak Manor nursing facility where he was found unresponsive. He was pronounced dead shortly after his arrival at the hospital. There is a known, detailed medical history. I was also told Mr. Meeks appeared to be well cared for and the death appeared to be from natural causes.

I was guess clayton James is his name, the other may be a nickname

The 1940 Census would help here to figure out why the parents listed for him on his birth record are different than the two possible brothers on the genealogy page. Maybe a cousin adopted in or a transcription mistake - or two Clayton Meeks happened to be born in Pitt County, NC on the same day!

The 1940 Census would help here to figure out why the parents listed for him on his birth record are different than the two possible brothers on the genealogy page. Maybe a cousin adopted in or a transcription mistake - or two Clayton Meeks happened to be born in Pitt County, NC on the same day!

I know there are a lot of mistakes to be found, and whoever enters claims which is usually a ME or assistant from that county makes a lot of mistakes.
This one is going to take some time, but don't let it get you discouraged. If u need me I am here.
Raine

Okay, I tried tracing the line of AGM, Jr. (potential brother of Clayton Meeks) and with some educated guesses, arrived at a point where I don't see any surviving nieces and nephews for Clayton Meeks - but also have not determined if AGM, Jr. and his wife are deceased.

I found that AGM, Jr. was born in Pitt, NC to AGM, Sr. and a "Ruby Lee Jones" - spelling it out because it will get confusing in a bit. She's also listed as "Ruby Lee James" which could be her maiden name.

Ruby and AJM, Sr. divorced in Polk, FL in 1948.

From there, I found an article in The News and Courier from July 20, 1969 that says:
Mr. and Mrs. JBM announce the engagement of their daughter, Miss , and Mr. Alton Meeks Jr., son of Mrs. Ruby Summers.
Educated guess that this is the right person because while there are other folks with the same name, this is in the right state and the first name of the groom's mother is the same. I am assuming she remarried.

In The News and Courier from April 24, 1987, I found an article titled "Railroad Accident Kills Teen-Ager in Andrews":

Donald Stephen Meeks, a Steel Process Co. of Andrews employee, was killed...

...Mr. Meeks was born in Williamsburg County, an son of Alton Meeks and GFMM...

Surviving are his parents of Kingstree; his wife, SAM; and his grandparents, Ruby McCoy of Easley and JBM of Kingstree.
That's as far as I have gotten for now. Assuming it is the same Ruby with possible remarriage as the wife's father's name remained the same.

Great work, I believe you are on the right track. I will keep searching Pitts county records, maybe I will get lucky on one of those 72 pages.

I will call the ME tomorrow and find out what they have from the nursing home. If they have nothing I will call the social worker there.

I show an AM (no middle name to verify it is AGM, Jr.) married to a FGM (first and middle names reversed from the newspaper snippets before) who has residence location histories in:

Baytown, TX
Kingstree, SC
La Porte, TX
Georgetown, SC

Then, I found this article for an AM of Baytown. I can't find any follow-up to the case and I didn't see any AMs in a Texas inmate search. The age of this AM in 1965 fits the birth record of AGM, Jr.

I did find an FM who is Ministry Coordinator for a Baytown church. If this is the right FM in this long, teensy bit convoluted search, that would make her Clayton Meeks' sister-in-law. Maybe half-sister-in-law?

Raine, do you think it is worth a call?

Yes it is worth a call, I looked at the property he lived in Charleston, the property is fairly nice, he was a young to be in a nursing home. His illnesses must have been bad.

I show an AM (no middle name to verify it is AGM, Jr.) married to a FGM (first and middle names reversed from the newspaper snippets before) who has residence location histories in:

Baytown, TX
Kingstree, SC
La Porte, TX
Georgetown, SC

Then, I found this article for an AM of Baytown. I can't find any follow-up to the case and I didn't see any AMs in a Texas inmate search.

I did find an FM who is Ministry Coordinator for a Baytown church. If this is the right FM in this long, teensy bit convoluted search, that would make her Clayton Meeks' sister-in-law. Maybe half-sister-in-law?

Raine, do you think it is worth a call?

I think I still have newbie nerves! Can you do it please? :eek:

Sent!

Also, I just realized:

The North Carolina Birth Index entry for Clayton James Meek?
Doesn't "Lubey Lee James" sound an awful lot like "Ruby Lee James" which is one of the names AGM, Jr.'s mother used? I wonder if the clerk at the time heard wrong - or the modern-day transcriber typing out all the old records for online usage couldn't read the cursive and guessed "Lubey" instead of "Ruby".

Maybe AGM was read as "Arthur J Meeks"? I'm beginning to think something was lost in translation, but perhaps this is the right record.

yes that is probably a typo. It is probably ruby

Sent!
Also, I just realized:

The North Carolina Birth Index entry for Clayton James Meek?
Doesn't "Lubey Lee James" sound an awful lot like "Ruby Lee James" which is one of the names AGM, Jr.'s mother used? I wonder if the clerk at the time heard wrong - or the modern-day transcriber typing out all the old records for online usage couldn't read the cursive and guessed "Lubey" instead of "Ruby".

Maybe AGM was read as "Arthur J Meeks"? I'm beginning to think something was lost in translation, but perhaps this is the right record.

Pursuing the potential KSM brother line now. He passed away in Cook County, IL. I found a KSM who would have been the right age today with previous addresses in Cicero, IL and Chicago, IL who may be related to someone named KVM - possible spouse of KSM and possible sister-in-law of Clayton Meeks.

KVM has an address history in:
Schaumburg, IL
Palatine, IL
Cicero, IL
Chicago, IL

I found a telephone number and address for KVM in Schaumburg, IL. Property records confirm a KVM purchased the property on Wakeby Lane in 2007 and appears to still live there. I have not found any mention of children to KSM and KVM.

Raine, PM'ing you KVM's information!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back