Teacher removed after bizarre rant about Jesus, UFOs, impending Apocalypse, much more

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
San Benito Teacher Replaced After Bizarre Classroom Rant About Jesus, Mary Magdalene, UFOs & The Apocalypse (houstonpress.com)
A ninth-grade teacher at San Benito's Veterans Memorial High School has been replaced for the remainder of the year after her lesson plan went badly awry last Tuesday and her 12-minute rant was filmed by a student and uploaded to YouTube.

Before the teacher was done, she told a roomful of alternately jeering and frightened public school students that Jesus Christ impregnated Mary Magdalene just before his crucifixion. Then she switched to Spanish and over the objections of her students, elaborated at great length on her beliefs.
---
She said that an army of God was coming to destroy this world on December 21, 2012, but not to worry, because Jesus had created another planet that was more beautiful than this one, a Utopia full of waterfalls where everybody was always 25 years old, where money does not exist, but Christmas does, complete with Santa Claus.

After telling the class that Jesus had written Mary many letters after his death, promising continually to return for her, the teacher then asks the class if they know where Jesus is and if they believe that he will return for Mary. ("Ask him to text me!" one of the kids says in English.)
---
And there's much, much more...
---
read the rest of it at link above; the district says the teacher's rant may be due to a bad reaction to medication - but if so, it seems to have been a repeat performance:

Teacher outburst, alleged threats cause concern in San Benito (valleycentral.com, 12.07.11)
Action 4 News has received several calls after an outburst from a San Benito teacher who allegedly threatened her students in class.

According to parents, it all happened in a 9th grade Spanish class at San Benito's Veterans Memorial Academy on Wednesday afternoon.

The teacher allegedly began yelling in class and reportedly told students that she would be, "Putting them out of their misery."
---

Wow...sounds almost like what happened with the pilot and the flight attendant. Bad reaction to meds or not, I'm glad they got her out of the classroom before her nuttiness went beyond words.

Every time I see one of these stories, I ask, "What are we doing to ourselves?"

Wow...sounds almost like what happened with the pilot and the flight attendant. Bad reaction to meds or not, I'm glad they got her out of the classroom before her nuttiness went beyond words.

Every time I see one of these stories, I ask, "What are we doing to ourselves?"
Curious as to why she was allowed back in the classroom after her initial outburst last December.

I do feel sorry for the woman. But that doesn't mean she needs to be teaching 9th grade Spanish.

One student posted the teacher did not say she wanted to put them out of their misery.

I am amused wrongfully by this. Wondering why we dont see more of this.

I really upset my sister one day with the offhanded comment that people with psychological disorders shouldnt be allowed to be teachers /health care profeesionals and mental health workers as I often wonder which of these disorders clouds healthy judgement (even on small scales) and places people in position to influence normal people to unhealthy reasoning based on the advise of a person with a psychological disorder. It is absurd the student or patient isnt even allowed to know the person has a disorder.

Might be why it appears the craziness is catching ?

Anyway my sister was livid.

I understand your point, Soulmagent, and I know you're concerned for the children, not biased against those with psychological disorders.

But I think a professional will tell you EVERYONE has one psychological disorder or another. And you'll be hard pressed to find teachers who have never suffered from depression or an anxiety disorder. (I myself taught for 12 years and have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. But it never caused me to rant about Jesus; one might even argue it made me a better teacher because I was always so worried about letting my students down.)

ETA: now that I've read the link, I can't help but note the irony that one of the students described the teacher as "possessed"! Funny how some imaginary belief systems are "crazy" while others enjoy constitutional protection.

um, yeah ... I had a teacher like that once ... she went off several times before finally being removed

I won't go into the details here but 9th grade Spanish is not the forum for her religious beliefs or anything other than what she's supposed to be teaching

if they can't focus on the curriculum, then they can't be teachers IMO

I student taught at the high school in my college town and once the aged old Spanish teacher, who was known to be "slipping a bit," arrived for school in her slip and underwear.

Come to think of it, I had a Cuban refugee as a Spanish teacher in high school. Every once in awhile she would go off on a rant about the good old days before the Revolution when boys all stood whenever a lady entered the classroom or about how the boys and girls went to different schools and couldn't speak to each other unless they found a mutual friend to make a formal introduction.

Maybe it's something about the subject matter? (I love the language.)

I understand your point, Soulmagent, and I know you're concerned for the children, not biased against those with psychological disorders.

But I think a professional will tell you EVERYONE has one psychological disorder or another. And you'll be hard pressed to find teachers who have never suffered from depression or an anxiety disorder. (I myself taught for 12 years and have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. But it never caused me to rant about Jesus; one might even argue it made me a better teacher because I was always so worried about letting my students down.)

ETA: now that I've read the link, I can't help but note the irony that one of the students described the teacher as "possessed"! Funny how some imaginary belief systems are "crazy" while others enjoy constitutional protection.

I am not so sure I am not biased agianst certain psycological disorders.

Except I dont believe anxiety or depression to be one of the ones I am biased agaisnt.

Both of those disorders are said to be from the brian overreacting. Both are normal responces of the human brian.

Same as if someone sweats to much . I know I am making an over simple statement and a narrowminded opinion ,but I refused to give it more thought than that.

In addition I am not saying some of those enjoying the consitutional right are not psyologically disordered themselves ,but I expect my right to enjoy those rights I have to accept they are protected under the same rights.

As long as they are not standing up in the school system inflicting those disfuntions on students.

I am not so sure I am not biased agianst certain psycological disorders.

Except I dont believe anxiety or depression to be one of the ones I am biased agaisnt.

Both of those disorders are said to be from the brian overreacting. Both are normal responces of the human brian.

Same as if someone sweats to much . I know I am making an over simple statement and a narrowminded opinion ,but I refused to give it more thought than that.

In addition I am not saying some of those enjoying the consitutional right are not psyologically disordered themselves ,but I expect my right to enjoy those rights I have to accept they are protected under the same rights.

As long as they are not standing up in the school system inflicting those disfuntions on students.

I expect my right to be protected while you enjoy your rights to be protected...SORRY, I giggle at this. I am not attacking you,kinda agreeing with you... I think.
Anyhoooo, as some one with Bi-Polar , I can still see where you are coming from. There are just some jobs us crazys should not have. But on the other hand,we have the right to our privacy just as the non crazys. There are people who have known me for years that have no clue that I have a mental illness.
As a Christian, I just do not see where ANY med would make me spout blasphemy. And I have had some doozys of reactions.
JMO.

She has taken the History and Discovery channels way too seriously, and shouldn't discuss this in her classroom for Spanish. Think this is her conversations in the teacher's lounge? I wonder what is going on in her life?

She has taken the History and Discovery channels way too seriously, and shouldn't discuss this in her classroom for Spanish. Think this is her conversations in the teacher's lounge? I wonder what is going on in her life?

Am I the only one who is dumbfounded by the continuing fascination with The Da Vinci Code and the notion that Jesus and Mary Magdalene had an earthly child? Especially here in the U.S. We don't believe in inherited rights or titles anyway, supposedly, so what difference would it make if Jesus DID have physical descendants?

Shakespeare has living descendants. To my knowledge, none of them are great playwrights.

*I'm only using The Da Vince Code as a cultural touchstone. I realize Dan Brown didn't invent the idea of a marriage between Mary Magdalene and Jesus.

One student posted the teacher did not say she wanted to put them out of their misery.

I am amused wrongfully by this. Wondering why we dont see more of this.

I really upset my sister one day with the offhanded comment that people with psychological disorders shouldnt be allowed to be teachers /health care profeesionals and mental health workers as I often wonder which of these disorders clouds healthy judgement (even on small scales) and places people in position to influence normal people to unhealthy reasoning based on the advise of a person with a psychological disorder. It is absurd the student or patient isnt even allowed to know the person has a disorder.

Might be why it appears the craziness is catching ?

Anyway my sister was livid.

Yikes. I don't know about livid but I'll say I'm not in love with your view. I do, however, respect it and can even understand it.

Because so many of us are known to go off our meds and relapse it can cause our prior good/under control judgment to go haywire. Also, many people with mental illness will go on meds which treat the major outward symptoms of the illnesses but never get any real treatment.. leaving us with behaviors similar to those of a "dry drunk" so our emotions never really get under control and we never learn those important coping mechanisms

But there are those of us who really do all the work involved in getting well, have long histories of healthy living, healthy choices and have proven to society that we can function just like everyone else. We should be able to have a shot at life just like everyone else, to be able to help make a difference in other peoples lives because of the challenges we have overcome. We actually can be better advocates, healthier thinkers and have wider ranges of coping mechanisms than many "normals" out there. I personally have no interest in being a teacher but I have no doubt whatsoever that I will make a great nurse or mental health professional.

Can't we judge teachers on the basis of their behavior, rather than banning them because of a doctor's diagnosis? The teacher in this case may have gone on a rant, but did she really do any harm? I'm not saying they should leave her in the classroom, just that her example is no reason to remove all bi-polar teachers from their classrooms.

To my knowledge, it has been students shooting up schools over the past decade, not teachers. Whatever mental disorders teachers may have, they don't seem to erupt in violence very often.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back