Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: THC in Trayvon's system

THC in Trayvon's system

is this significant?

Please be civil and remember Trayvon is dead. This thread is to discuss the potential ramifications of testing positive for pot in a victim of homicide.

This doesn't have to be a fight. It can be a conversation- it is all about presentation of your ideas.

As for my opinion, I have no idea because I don't know when he used, how often he used or how pot manifests itself with Trayvon when is is using.

So for me it is not significant at this point but certainly could be in the future.

We had a case here not too long ago where a drunk driver killed 3 people, one of whom was a an Angel pitcher.(Adenhart). Driver was convicted of 2nd degree murder. It did come out that the driver of the other vehicle also had a BAC well over the limit. Did it matter? Not at all. So in some cases this might be significant and in other it might not.

What do you think and show respect for Trayvon please.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

Marijuana Drug Test Detection Times | California NORML
    http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/d...detection.html
    Chronic users have been found to show residual blood THC levels of 1.5 (+/- 0.5) ng/ml for a full week after ceasing use [Karschner]. Note: THC blood levels ...

Autopsy: Drug THC found in Trayvon Martin's system - CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/17/justic...ing/index.html

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

Personally this new information changes nothing, in my opinion.

Everything points to the fact that Trayvon was just going about his business and was in his right mind that night. Although I'm sure the Defense will try to use this as some kind of justification for what happened, knowledge that George could only have gotten from a blood test of the boy, which we only now have after the fact - from an autopsy!

Problem: George Zimmerman was not a human drug-detector, and Trayvon was not displaying any type of behavior other than walking from point A to point B.

(And others have said this better than I can on other threads, but if every teenager with marijuana in their system was expelled or put in juvenile hall, the schools would be half-empty every day. And the teachers know that, the parents know it, and the principals and coaches know it. And while it is illegal, they have no grounds for saying a child is "on drugs" just because they might have something in their systems, and neither did George.)

All JMOO.
    Last edited by ThoughtFox; 05-17-2012 at 09:35 PM.

I'm the proud mother of a new attorney!
    It's better to know some of the questions than all of the answers. ~ James Thurber
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke
    Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense. ~ Mark Twain

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ThoughtFox For This Useful Post:

My private thought that I haven't shared here previously is that he didn't go right home and, thus, avoid George completely because he may have been waiting for someone to hook him up. That would also explain why he was so concerned about someone watching him that he confronted George and why he got a call overlapping the girl friend's call that's not been explained. It also would explain why he picked up a lighter at the convenience store. I skimmed this stuff quickly while I was in the airport waiting for a flight, so I could be wrong about this, but I think I remember specifically reading that it was a red 7-11 lighter found on his person. jmo

I also noticed that he had quite a bit more money on him than originally stated. Maybe he also went to the 7-11 to get change of a $50. also jmo

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Karmady For This Useful Post:

LOL I started my post when there's was only the first one...

I personally don't see this as a big deal. I live in a state that recognizes the numerous medicinal uses for marijuana and recognizes that marijuana isn't the "gateway drug" it's oft-been touted as.

TM could have smoked a joint one time three weeks or so before the shooting, and it would show up in his system at death, because marijuana is a fat-soluble drug that stays in the body much longer than water-soluble drugs like meth or coke. In fact, TM could have simply been in an enclosed car with friends who were smoking and even if he didn't actively smoke it, he could get enough passive smoke to come up as a trace. I don't know how it got in him--I'm just pointing out some ways in which it could have gotten in there.

As far as GZ's identifying TM as "on drugs"..."on drugs" indicates, IMO, "presently under the influence drugs." I suppose it's possible that TM could have been high at the time of his killing, but then I would imagine the levels would have been high (pun intended)? Also, he'd have to have managed to access marijuana and at the very very least a packet of matches and a pop can to smoke it, and considering he was staying w/ dad b/c of being suspended, I kinda doubt he would have risked that and/or been caught if he had. And since he didn't live at the dad's fiance's house, then I highly doubt he'd know where to get any weed there. I mean, not only is my state progressive in it's views of weed, my particular city is especially "herb-friendly" (that's actually the term), even here if you want to find some marijuana and don't know anybody that sells it, you'd have to go to a few-block section of one part of town, which, if you didn't know anyone who smoked it, it's doubtful you'd even know where to go.

So I imagine any smoking of the marijuana done by TM was done before he was even at Miami Gardens. So GZ's "he's on drugs" still doesn't hold any more water with me now that it did prior to today's information. Plus, I fail to recall ever hearing of any incidents of someone being aggressive while only under the influence of marijuana. I suppose a mentally ill person whose illness manifests through aggression could smoke marijuana and then become aggressive, but that would have been a pre-existing condition.

So in short, ...where's the smiley for yawning? hm...here's a photo instead. Add a shrug to that.

http://www.aquidneckmomstown.com/custom/bored%20kid.jpg

Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to flourish For This Useful Post:

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    The fact pot was found in TM's system makes me sad.

Although it may mean nothing to the outcome of this case, it does show TM partook in illegal activity.
    Marijuana is illegal. He was with his dad due to a suspension for possession.

That makes me sad for his parents.
    Nobody wants the "bad stuff" about the actions of their children made public. Especially a deceased child.

IMO
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

12. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

The interview on JVM last night comes to mind.

I really didn't watch it closely but I did see her tell FT that the autopsy showed no drugs in TM's system.

Did anybody hear her say where she got that information. Because it was obviously wrong.

Just wondering.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

To me, it doesn't change how I feel about this case.

That being said, I am sad that he had pot in his system. It will make a difference whether I think it should or not.

Also, I'm sure Trayvon's parents were upset to hear this info, too.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lovejac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    To me, it doesn't change how I feel about this case.

That being said, I am sad that he had pot in his system. It will make a difference whether I think it should or not.

Also, I'm sure Trayvon's parents were upset to hear this info, too.
    Very honestly, I don't think they are surprised at all. And that's not intended as a slam to the parents or to Trayvon. I think his parents knew perfectly well that he smoked pot, whether they liked it or not. jmo

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Karmady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karmady View Post
    My private thought that I haven't shared here previously is that he didn't go right home and, thus, avoid George completely because he may have been waiting for someone to hook him up. That would also explain why he was so concerned about someone watching him that he confronted George and why he got a call overlapping the girl friend's call that's not been explained. It also would explain why he picked up a lighter at the convenience store. I skimmed this stuff quickly while I was in the airport waiting for a flight, so I could be wrong about this, but I think I remember specifically reading that it was a red 7-11 lighter found on his person. jmo

I also noticed that he had quite a bit more money on him than originally stated. Maybe he also went to the 7-11 to get change of a $50. also jmo
    I don't want to start any big discussion but, I'd really like to see if he got or bought a lighter at 7-11. GZ was touching his body so, he could have planted that lighter...anything is possible and I just really want to see the 7-11 surveillance tape.

No matter what, this is trace THC and GZ still had the choice to fight back physically and or to maim TM as opposed to shooting him directly in the heart.

Negligent homicide is what GZ committed against TM. If he hadn't chased the unarmed teen he would not have had a reason to shoot him, no less kill him.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read...ps=1018&page=1

Martin's autopsy indicated that medical examiners found THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, when they tested Martin's blood and urine. The amount described in the autopsy report is such a low level that it would have played no role in Martin's behavior, said Larry Kobilinsky, a professor of forensic science at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York.

"This kind of level can be seen days after somebody smokes," Kobilinsky said. "If it comes up in the case, I would be surprised. It wouldn't benefit the defense, it wouldn't benefit the prosecution, and if the defense tried to bring it up, the judge would keep it out."

22. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:

post is placed randomly.
    please avoid discussing what others may or may not say. reference specifically what has been said and make your own point as to whether you agree or disagree.
    No point in discussing -especially in a disparaging way- what other members may potentially say in the future. Pre-emptive attacks are not necessary LOL.

thanks.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JBean For This Useful Post:

I find it incredible that we know more about the VICTIM, the dead kid, than we do about the guy who killed him. And this after the police finish dumping the results of their 'investigation.'
    DISCLAIMER: The above is my OPINION only. Unless stated otherwise, I neither claim nor imply any inside knowledge or expert opinion about any subject I happen to be discussing. The reader assumes full responsibility for any conclusions my writing might cause them to reach. Warning: may cause drowsiness, do not operate heavy machinery while reading

26. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Chris_Texas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Just K View Post
    I don't want to start any big discussion but, I'd really like to see if he got or bought a lighter at 7-11. GZ was touching his body so, he could have planted that lighter...anything is possible and I just really want to see the 7-11 surveillance tape.

No matter what, this is trace THC and GZ still had the choice to fight back physically and or to maim TM as opposed to shooting him directly in the heart.

Negligent homicide is what GZ committed against TM. If he hadn't chased the unarmed teen he would not have had a reason to shoot him, no less kill him.
    Why on earth would someone plant a lighter on a shooting victim?

Having a lighter is not a crime. Why would that benefit the shooter?

I'm sure he had to have something to light the pot whenever he smoked it.
    So I think it's safe to say TM has had lighters in the past.

Having one in his pocket that night is not surprising to me.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

Not a big deal AT ALL. We all new he used marijuana recently, that's why he was kicked out of school - for an empty bag of pot in his backpack.

If his tests showed clear for marijuana I'd know they were false readings. He clearly "used" in the week before he died.

Next topic.

30. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JeannaT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    Why on earth would someone plant a lighter on a shooting victim?

Having a lighter is not a crime. Why would that benefit the shooter?

I'm sure he had to have something to light the pot whenever he smoked it.
    So I think it's safe to say TM has had lighters in the past.

Having one in his pocket that night is not surprising to me.
    Just saying, when you only find a can of Tea and some skittles...you might want to make the kid look like a druggie...just another thought.

That's why I want to see the 7-11 video footage.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Just K For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Just K View Post
    Just saying, when you only find a can of Tea and some skittles...you might want to make the kid look like a druggie...just another thought.

That's why I want to see the 7-11 video footage.
    I have 4 lighters in my purse.
    I hope that does not make me look like a druggie.

A lighter in a person's pocket would not make them look like a druggie.
    A joint or some pills would.

A lighter, not so much.

And even if he's not seen purchasing a lighter on that 7-11 video, it does not mean it was not his.
    He could have bought it earlier.
    He could have found it in his home and took it.

That brings me to a thought.

Can 17 year olds buy lighters?
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

It certainly shows TM was a criminal.
    Justice for GEORGE!

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Horace Finklestein For This Useful Post:

I have 4 lighters in my purse.
    I hope that does not make me look like a druggie.

A lighter in a person's pocket would not make them look like a druggie.
    A joint or some pills would.

A lighter, not so much.

And even if he's not seen purchasing a lighter on that 7-11 video, it does not mean it was not his.
    He could have bought it earlier.
    He could have found it in his home and took it.

That brings me to a thought.

Can 17 year olds buy lighters?

When my brother turned 18, I bought him a bunch of stuff you could only buy when you were 18- a lighter, cold medicie, rubber cement, etc. When I bought the lighter, I wasn't asked for an ID even though I'm sure I don't look 18.

I am assuming you have to be 18, but I don't think it's strictly enforced.
    Last edited by meganx3xo; 05-17-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Typos

38. The Following User Says Thank You to meganx3xo For This Useful Post:

From the doc dump thread. Belongs here.

Quote Originally Posted by gxm View Post
    Nothing is being spun. GZ said TM looked like he was on drugs. THC was found in TM's tox test. That's corroboration. TM was a pot smoker and GZ pegged him correctly. We have no idea when he last lit up, and IMO it doesn't really matter. All that matters is that it is not inconsistent with GZ's story.

JMO, OMO, and MOO
    "Looks like he might be ON drugs" is not the same as he smoked pot on his way back from the store and gave GZ any reason to say he MIGHT be on drugs. GZ had no way of knowing that.

Before I fessed up to my mother I was a MMP, I was around her all the time and she never had a clue. Her nose might have picked up on it but my actions never did.

Hell, they never knew I smoked pot when I lived at home. I smoked it my senior year and my folks never knew. Newer generations of parents may be a lot more in tune.
    All my posts are MOO!

Halt, face away from me and put the Occam's Razor on the ground now; put your hands on your head and interlace your fingers behind your head.

"Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is the right thing to do."-Justice Potter Stewart, US Supreme Court Justice 1915-1985

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jaded cat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Horace Finklestein View Post
    It certainly shows TM was a criminal.
    Any idea why this "criminal" wasn't in jail instead of in Sanford?
    All my posts are MOO!

Halt, face away from me and put the Occam's Razor on the ground now; put your hands on your head and interlace your fingers behind your head.

"Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is the right thing to do."-Justice Potter Stewart, US Supreme Court Justice 1915-1985

42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jaded cat For This Useful Post:

There are a lot of criminals walking amongst us.

Since pot is illegal, smoking pot is a crime.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

44. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kimberlyd125 For This Useful Post:

There are a lot of criminals walking amongst us.

Since pot is illegal, smoking pot is a crime.
    Indeed. While I don't think it's a huge deal in the sense that I don't expect that my children will never try it or something, it IS a crime. I would never consider smoking pot, even if I wanted to (which I don't) simply because it is illegal. And if my kids did it and got caught, they know that if they are arrested for it, they'd better use their phone call on someone other than me.

46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Karmady For This Useful Post:

It means nothing....
    It's just MOO. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it surely won't be the last!

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

48. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to deelytful1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by deelytful1 View Post
    It means nothing....
    I think his now verified use of marijuana provides a very plausible explanation for why he went to the 7-11 in the first place and didn't go right home afterward. Aside from whether smoking pot in and of itself is a crime or a big deal. jmo

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karmady For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast