UK - Man's big toe ripped off in shopping center escalator horror

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Great. I've always had a sort of fear of escalators, too.

Horror as man's big toe is ripped off after trapping foot in shopping centre escalator
A man was left in agony after a shopping centre escalator tore off his big toe.

Michael Reddington, who thought his left foot was going to 'snap off', has had to learn to walk again after the incident, which he said was 'like something out of a horror film'.

The 24-year-old and a man from a nearby barbers used a screwdriver and Allen key to free his foot from the escalator at West End Arcade in Nottingham.
---
His foot was trapped in a gap between the steps and platform at the top of the escalator..
---
Mr Reddington, who was believed to have been wearing soft-toed shoes, said the two toes next to the severed one were 'split in two'.
more at Daily Mail link above
---
"My toe was gone, there was blood everywhere, there was bone sticking out, there was flesh all over," he said.
---
more at BBC: Nottingham man tells how escalator tore off his big toe

When I was 11, the escalator in Sears was stopped and we had to walk up it. The man behind me stepped on my flip flop and I fell. My knee hit the edge of the step and split wide open. :what:

They're scary even when not moving!!

When I was in Toronto the escalator to the subway had failed and when I had walked to the bottom, there was a dead guy sprawled out there. A policeman who'd just arrived was tending to the scene, which at least provided a bit of reassurance.

Big fear of mine!

Escalator's make me dizzy, when going down! I grip the railing and hold on for dear life!

:rollercoaster:

Not surprised that this happened in the UK. When I was in London I quickly learned if you want to stand you MUST stand to the right and NOT block the way as people run up/down the escalators and get all testy if you are in their path. I can see why they have more escalator accidents over there.

If you're going to run on them, why not just take the stairs?

When I was 13 my class took a field trip to the science museum of MN. The escalators were out of service that day, which was GREAT for me b/c I had never been on one, and did not want to embarrass myself by being to scared to get on, or by getting on and losing my balance and falling down/off. Since then I have ridden one, and found it was VERY hard to balance on it. I will be taking the stairs for the rest of my life. I also dislike elevators.

TBH it is seen as lazy and uncool to just stand on escalators in LDN :blush: I used to run up and down them when young, took a pram on them and a dog but not now

When I was a teen living in Madrid, Spain, I watched in horror as a woman got her maxi coat (remember those from the '70's) caught in the escalator. As she leaned over to try to tug it out her long hair also became entangled. The escalator was stopped before it killed or did serious injury, but I still remember her screams and there was blood!:what:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back