GUILTY MI - Jonathon Hoffman, 17, shot to death, West Bloomfield, 18 May 2012

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Why did a 74-year-old grandmother shoot and kill her teenage
grandson? Police are baffled at bizarre Detroit slaying
(Daily Mail)
A 74-year-old Detroit grandmother is in custody for allegedly shooting and killing her teenage grandson.
---
'At this point, we just don’t know the circumstances that led up to this,' West Bloomfield police Lt. Tim Diamond said.
---
Officers responded to similar domestic violence involving the teen and his grandmother in March, at the same address.
---
'Officers resolved it. It was your typical teenager-parent argument,' he said.
---
much more, with pictures, at DM link above

So, evidently, there were two 911 calls? Or maybe just the one:
A 17-year-old who police said was fatally shot Friday by his grandmother had called West Bloomfield police for help before he was pronounced dead about 40 minutes later.
---
Police were called to the residence in the 6000 block of Brookview Lane at 5:27 p.m. after neighbors heard gunshots and when the teen called 911, West Bloomfield police Lt. Tim Diamond said.

Police found the youth with multiple gunshot wounds. He was taken to Botsford Hospital in Farmington Hills and pronounced dead just after 6 p.m., Diamond said.
---
On Friday, police did not release names, pending notification of the teen’s parents. Investigators expected to get a search warrant this weekend to let them “go over this residence with a fine-toothed comb” for evidence, Diamond said.
---
more at Detroit Free Press link below:

Police: Woman, 74, fatally shot her grandson, 17, in West Bloomfield

JMO. But dad is a piece of work. I can't even explain the bs that was coming out of his mouth. Again, JMO.

http://www.freep.com/article/201205...ooting-Grandma-afraid-grandson-attorney-says-

Wow, I'm with you Yoda. What a horrible family tragedy, and maybe shock and grief are behind the remarks made by dad in the press. But it just sounds more like the spinning of a practiced attorney defending a client rather than a grief-stricken father. If dad indeed had been unaware of the tension escalating between his son and the maternal grandmother, then that points to dad being very uninvolved in his son's life. Past drug trouble and a previous response by LE to an altercation between grandmother and grandson are certainly indications that all is not well. I realize I am judging dad based on his quotes in the press that could have been taken way out of context. I just don't think this dad sounds like a person I would want to know.

I'm a little skeptical, too. The woman may have been afraid, so surely she wouldn't have had a loaded gun just laying around. She would have probably had to go get the gun then the boy was either shot outside (perhaps while disobeying and leaving) or drug himself out there after being shot. Then, he calls 911 himself. The Grandma didn't even call? I'd be interested to know if he were shot in the back. Whoever did the interview didn't thing she "was in control of her emotions". She may have been afraid, but IMO it's doubtful. The previous brawl was verbal and friends say the boy was not violent. Maybe she is mentally ill or has some dementia and control issues. If the boy is still on juvenile probation they probably made the family situation 100 times worse because they do lie and look for adults to blame, and they humiliate and threaten the whole family if things don't go right. I know that can happen by experience with a teen grandson who was caught smoking MJ and locked up. I'd rather die than even hit or hurt him.

West Bloomfield grandmother charged with open murder in grandson's shooting death

No bond set for 74-year-old grandmother in death of 17-year-old Jonathon Hoffman

Published On: May 21 2012 02:25:27 PM EDT Updated On: May 21 2012 02:58:41 PM EDT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ath/-/4714498/13508324/-/rqcnm9z/-/index.html

Grandmother who shot and killed grandson charged with murder

Teen shot to death, grandmother accused

Posted: 2:08 PM
• By: Julie Banovic

WEST BLOOMFIELD, Mich.(WXYZ) - A 74-year-old grandmother who shot and killed her 17-year-old grandson during a dispute has been charged with murder in connection with his death.

No bond was set.

The woman appeared before a judge Monday.

Several neighbors called police after they heard the gunshots. Even 17-year-old Jonathan Hoffman called 911 for help after police said that his grandmother shot him multiple times. The teenager died at Botsford Hospital...

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region...ed-grandson-charged-with-murder#ixzz1vX6VBlwd

This is unusual on many levels. Parents divorce, move out of state. Son stays with grandparents to finish school year (normal), son has record and on probation for drug use. Police called two times for argument between grandma and boy. why did boy, grandmother or grandfather not inform parents of problems so severe that police were called? As soon as that happened the boy should have gone to live with parents. either the boy was not controllable or the grandmother was mentally ill or had anger problems. Either way, the first police call should have been a sign that that he should not be living there. Now grandmother has been charged. We know from reports she just recently purchased the gun, he was shot several times, and he called 911 himself. One of the parents or grandfather must have know that she was volatile. Moo

I noticed in some of the articles about the case that Jonathan was attending an alternative high school. I wonder if there were behavioral issues that warranted his not attending a regular high school. Friends reported that Jon was an all-A student and very creative, so there must have been a reason why he went to the alternative facility instead of one of the other Farmington high schools.

I noticed in some of the articles about the case that Jonathan was attending an alternative high school. I wonder if there were behavioral issues that warranted his not attending a regular high school. Friends reported that Jon was an all-A student and very creative, so there must have been a reason why he went to the alternative facility instead of one of the other Farmington high schools.

This is what tips me off that he's not an angel. There is no "creative" student going to alternative high school in this area. Just students who don't/won't observe rules or act out in other ways (drugs?).

I just saw this grandmother on the news and it breaks my heart. It's said she purchased the gun after another notorious (around here) case-Cipriano-where the son and a friend beat most of the family with a baseball bat. Dad dead, mom and brother in physical rehab facility.

The father? Ha. Piece of work.

Grandma obviously doesn't belong in jail and she's terrified. I'm in my late 40s and I'll fight someone if I need to, but I keep a wary eye on teens when I'm out--a lot of them are just out of their minds on spice or bath salts and I can understand how terrified she must have been. I wish she had told her daughter to come and take him out of the house earlier or pressed charges when the cops came in March. Or even that she had just wounded him. Then she might have a chance at not going to jail.

Grandmother fired 10 shots at her grandson, eight of which struck and killed the young man. What on earth did Jonathan do that enraged 74-year-old Layne to go after Jonathan and shoot that many times???

Just saw this on my Comcast homepage:

Mich. police: Grandmother shot grandson 8 times
By COREY WILLIAMS, AP
36 minutes ago

BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Jonathan Hoffman frantically told a 911 dispatcher he had been shot in the chest by his grandmother and was going to die, a police detective testified Monday.

By the time officers arrived at the family's upscale condo in a Detroit suburb, at least four more shots from a .40-caliber handgun had been pumped into the 17-year-old high school senior.

A West Bloomfield Township detective told a judge during Monday's arraignment for 74-year-old Sandra Layne that eight entry and exit wounds were found in Hoffman's body after the Friday afternoon shooting...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20120521/US.Teen.Slain.Grandmother/

This is what tips me off that he's not an angel. There is no "creative" student going to alternative high school in this area. Just students who don't/won't observe rules or act out in other ways (drugs?).
---
The father? Ha. Piece of work.

Grandma obviously doesn't belong in jail and she's terrified.
snip-snip

Strong disagreement with the second sentence, first paragraph - he may have been quite creative. Do agree he probably ran amiss of rules, but that doesn't make him Genghis Khan. So he wasn't an angel. Who is?

The dad just lost a son. One should not dismiss statements made while grieving quite so cavalierly.

The grandmother shot her grandson eight times. Where does she belong, at a victory party?

Jonathan Hoffman has been laid to rest. Sad, and a terrible waste of a young life. His family needs our prayers at this difficult time.

Funeral for Jonathan Hoffman today

West Bloomfield grandmother charged with open murder in grandson's shooting death

Published On: May 22 2012 08:26:21 AM EDT Updated On: May 22 2012 11:15:43 AM EDT

WEST BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. -
Funeral services will be held Tuesday for 17-year-old Jonathan Hoffman, the teenager allegedly shot to death by his 74-year-old grandmother, Sandra Layne, of West Bloomfield.

Jonathan Hoffman's funeral is at 11 a.m. at Ira Kaufman Chapel in Southfield...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...day/-/4714498/13603230/-/niy2qpz/-/index.html

A failed drug test and the probation indicates he was a threat to one or more persons. I'm going to get out of this thread now. I do wish grandma had prosecuted him prior to all this happening, and I feel terrible for her. That's all I can offer.

Just listening now to CNN/Ashley Banfield speaking about this case and played the 911 tape. WHILE this young man was on the phone to 911, begging for help and telling them he was going to die, the grandmother returned and shot him again - the shot can be heard on the 911 call. I can certainly understand shooting someone in order to protect yourself from serious and imminent harm, but the grandmother left, meaning, she was out of the way of danger. She THEN returned and continued shooting him while he was on the phone to 911. THAT is inexcusable and she deserves to be prosecuted and do prison-time IMO.

A failed drug test and the probation indicates he was a threat to one or more persons. I'm going to get out of this thread now. I do wish grandma had prosecuted him prior to all this happening, and I feel terrible for her. That's all I can offer.

BBM^ Obviously, that is not how the legal system views it, otherwise every person who tests positive for drugs and/or is on probation would, and could, be legally committed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back