LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

queenofcorona

Verified Insider
Reaction score
My first thread here, please correct me if I don't do everything right, thanks.

This is my sister in law's very close friend.

Lafayette Police and a local family need your help finding a missing woman. 21 year old Mickey Shunick (pictured) was last seen early Saturday morning riding a black and gold bike from a friends home in the Saint Streets area of Lafayette.... She was headed back home near Ambassador and Congress, but never made it home and hasn't been seen since. Anyone with information on where she maybe be is asked to call Lafayette Police.

http://www.katc.com/news/police-looking-for-missing-lafayette-woman/

F6CB1764B255F7B0328C51447BE482AA_292_292.jpg

Lafayette Police are looking are asking for assistance in finding a missing person. 21 yr. old Mickey Shunick was last seen on her black and gold bike leaving her friends house in the St.Street area at about 2a.m. Saturday morning. She is described as about 5'1", small frame, and about 115 lbs

http://www.klfy.com/story/18564233/missing-person

On the site is her mom's phone number, but I didn't want to include that in case it's against the rules. We are praying so hard for her safe return.

So she had been to visit a friend and was traveling home by bike? The 2am part bothers me most. Night time in the city on a bike...and such a lovely girl. How far from the friend's home to her home? Does she bike in this area often?

I'd say it's a little over 4 miles. If someone out there with google map skills could make a map from the Saints Streets area of Lafayette, La (St. John street I suppose) to the intersection of Ambassador/Congress (the largest intersection near where she was going) or Governor Miro Drive (the street she was going to), that would be awesome. It's about 30-40 minutes on a bike. This is a route she's taken many times and is a very experienced cyclist. Here she is on her bike.
319821_4105460834190_1213080012_5103140_1293331917_n.jpg

Also, she missed her little brother's graduation today, which is totally out of character. Lafayette is a city of about 120k people, and definitely a college town. Her friends walked the route she would have ridden and as far as I know, didn't find anything.

queenfcorona, she was familiar with this route...and was comfortable leaving at this time of the night on her bike. I'm not sure what friend she was visiting...was this a male friend? Do we have any reason to doubt she actually left the friend's residence at the time given? Sorry for asking too many questions...you may not know the answers. I'm just putting it out there. Thanks for making us aware of Mickey's disappearance.

I'm honestly not sure at all who the friend was, so I don't want to assume anything. This is all just so surreal and scary :(

Since her bike was not found, it makes me wonder about the story the friend gave. If a random stranger was going to grab her, why take the bike?

Since her bike was not found, it makes me wonder about the story the friend gave. If a random stranger was going to grab her, why take the bike?

Unless there was some sort of accident....such as a car and bike accident and the driver got scared. Probably unlikely...but there are many possibilities. One of the downsides of being a Websleuther....you are always aware of the worst case scenarios.

Is Mickey a college or grad student? Was she employed?

Family and friends might consider setting up a Missing Page for her on FB....that seems to be a good way to get the word out so people can be watching for her.

Praying that she is found safe!

What I don't like is the fact that she was on a bike and disappeared. Not in a car and disappeared meaning that she could have gone away for a day or two.

Apparently she was at a guy friend's house when she left to go home. They had been out at a bar/restaurant where there was a show (not sure if they went to see a band or what). Afterwards (around 1-ish), they went back to the guy friend's house where they ate a bite and she left around 2am. This guy friend is also a cyclist.

I'm gathering all this from the Missing FB page....

Oh wow. I was born and raised in SouthernCalifornia. Now married with my own child I've purchased a home in the little suburb I grew up in. About 4 years ago my husband had a work contract and we temporarily moved to LaFayette. I lived RIGHT there on Ambassador and Congress. That city, those wonderful people and that time in my life holds such a special place in my heart. My screen name is part of the street we lived on. Lots and lots of thoughts &prayers.

I'd say it's a little over 4 miles. If someone out there with google map skills could make a map from the Saints Streets area of Lafayette, La (St. John street I suppose) to the intersection of Ambassador/Congress (the largest intersection near where she was going) or Governor Miro Drive (the street she was going to), that would be awesome. It's about 30-40 minutes on a bike. This is a route she's taken many times and is a very experienced cyclist. Here she is on her bike.

c9bi6yoryooh5mlcbmbe.jpg

Upper right corner St. John St.
Lower left corner Ambassador/Congress to Governor Miro Drive
about 4.4 miles total

Link to map http://g.co/maps/ntsuc

There is a search party going out today, starting at 100 ryan street (the last place she was seen I think?), at 10:30am.

Mickey is so striking, so blonde, someone has to have seen her. I told her once she reminded me of Daenerys from Game of Thrones. 1am-2am in Lafayette is not a quiet time of night where no one is on the roads. Where is she???

This is very local to me, prayers for her safe return! We are spreading the word on facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74