Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #1

Quote Originally Posted by GDUD View Post
    Is this Walgreens on her normal bike route?
    Do they have surveillance cameras?
    It is on the major intersection closest to her house where she would have been turning onto Ambassador from Congress unless she cut through a church lot or a side road. It is on the opposite corner from where she would be headed though. I don't think it was related I haven't seen any other mention of that bike.

There is a big coulee or gully near there, a searcher said they walked it last night but it was dark. There are a few wooded areas along the coulee as well as the route.

Someone on the Facebook page mentioned that today is their trash day and they live around the area. I think they have the garbage trucks that use the arm instead of people to lift the cans. I wonder if they could still keep an eye out.
    PJ

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjcitizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by queenofcorona View Post
    Today is Mickey's birthday. Let's get her back to her family and friends!!!
    Happy birthday Mickey! Please come home safe, your friends and family need you!

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mayqueen For This Useful Post:

I've never been down Governor Miro, have they searched much there? She could have made it all the way to her subdivision before something happened.

Also, I'm sure they are checking her bank activity, there are a couple banks with ATMs on her route home as well as convenience stores that could be open that late.

I think most of the traffic once she got to her side of town would be vehicle traffic and it could be intermittent so I can definitely see how no one saw anything, though I hope that they do get some info that helps.
    PJ

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjcitizen For This Useful Post:

Hoping and praying!

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to curiousc For This Useful Post:

tarabull is offline Sometimes learning is finding out what we already know.
    C'mon now!!!!!! What are the chances?!?!?! As if it's not heartbreaking enough already!!!!!

Where are you Mickey!?!??!?! Your friends and loved ones are working hard to bring you home!!!!
    KINDLY NOTE: Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy any post made by me.
    Further, my posts are merely my humble opinion unless otherwise supported by a linked source for back-up. Thank you.

"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - Henri Poincare

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/FIND-...34958186573426

sorry if this was already posted (has some great pictures of her with her horse, etc)
    This bee my opinion

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
    C'mon now!!!!!! What are the chances?!?!?! As if it's not heartbreaking enough already!!!!!

Where are you Mickey!?!??!?! Your friends and loved ones are working hard to bring you home!!!!
    I know. Unbelievable. Praying for Mickey and doing what I can to get word out.
    'Ailina - Freelance Author, Home Educator
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ailinawillis

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 'Ailina For This Useful Post:

Wilson and the rest of the search party has been canvassing Lafayette with flyers and continues to look for clues that may lead to Shunick’s discovery. Shunick was on a black bike with gold handlebars, wearing a striped pastel shirt, stonewashed jeans, gray shoes and sunglasses. She also had a silver bell on her bike along with multiple bike lights, which Wilson said could have easily fallen off. Shunick has blonde curly hair, is about 5-feet-1 and weighs 115 pounds.

“I don’t think you realize what a special person she is and how many people she has touched,” said Wilson, becoming visibly upset. “I think so many people can attest to what an incredible person Mickey is. She’s just an energetic, vibrant, active person. We just want her back. We want her safe.”

Wilson asked the community to pay attention around the Saint Streets and Congress, and to keep an eye out for Shunick’s bike at pawn shops. Wilson also emphasized reposting and sharing Shunick’s picture on social media websites to help spread the word. Facebook users can find updates on the “FIND MICKEY SHUNICK NOW” page.
    http://www.theind.com/news/10545-no-...-disappearance
    This bee my opinion

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

If someone did hit her would there be evidence of it somehow? Or is it an area where a little broken debris would melt in with everything else?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darcyline For This Useful Post:

I'm hearing there are a LOT of policemen on the ground searching! That's so good to hear.
    PJ

20. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pjcitizen For This Useful Post:

There is normally a fair amount of foot traffic along that route so hopefully, if there is debris, someone will find it.

But...school's out around here, so there may be fewer pedestrians.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 'Ailina For This Useful Post:

Here are her possible routes posted on the facebook group:
    PJ

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pjcitizen For This Useful Post:

Not sure why the satellite image isn't showing:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

They also said she may have went straight to Ambassador from Congress and take a left there.
    PJ

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjcitizen For This Useful Post:

What about skid marks on the road. If someone hit her at some point they would of slammed ont he brakes and you would see skid marks. Or how about any broken tree branches, dents in metal anything at all that looks as though it could have been hit. But then again if whoever it was cleaned up their mess and this area is busy they would have been spotted by someone at some point during the clean up. Is this area a big rest stop area since it is right near the interstate? It would be easy for an overnight trucker driver to see her and grab her and put the bike in the trailer of the truck. Just some thoughts here. Hopefully todays search efforts turn up even a little bit of information if nothing else. MOO

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RachelMarie For This Useful Post:

The friend said he let her out the back of the house so IMO she would be exiting onto Carlin Street. Here is a picture of the back of the house from Carlin. If those bushes are still there someone could have easily ambushed her as soon as she left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TexasLil For This Useful Post:

http://www.nbc33tv.com/news/local-ne...s-top-priority

“We’ve deferred a lot of our resources to find this missing girl,” Cpl. Paul Mouton, Lafayette Police Department, said. “We’re using every means necessary to locate her.”
    A grass-roots effort was organized over the weekend to try and seek clues to Shunick’s whereabouts. Today, the Lafayette Police Department has increased that effort. Although the case is suspicious, they say they have not found any evidence to support foul play.
    Currently officers are canvassing the route Shunick was known to take. As an avid cyclist, it was a path she took several times every week.
    PJ

32. The Following User Says Thank You to pjcitizen For This Useful Post:

Just sent a message to the local Geocachers admin. Hoping they'll spread the word so anyone caching will keep their eyes open while they're out searching town and woods.

34. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to 'Ailina For This Useful Post:

It's such a big area, even though it might not look like it on the map. There are lots of side streets she could have taken or cut throughs, bike paths, etc. Since she was on a bike instead of car, it's hard to say the exact route to look for debris. It's not really a rest area type area but we do have carnival people in from out of town setting up for a fair and that is on her usual route.

ETA:
    Removed maps of area searched, I read it wasn't a good idea to post those in case she is being held.
    Last edited by pjcitizen; 05-21-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    PJ

36. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pjcitizen For This Useful Post:

Michaela "Mickey" Shunick, a 22-year-old senior anthropology major at the University of Louisiana, was last seen at about 1:45 a.m. Saturday, when she left a friend's home on Ryan Street in Lafayette.
    Nancy Shunick said her daughter's cellphone has not been turned on since Saturday morning.
    A private donor, the parent of one of the children to whom Mickey Shunick teaches horseback riding, is offering a $10,000 reward for any information leading to Shunick's whereabouts, no questions asked.
    Shunick has a small tattoo of a bicycle on her right outer ankle and a nose ring on her left nostril. She was last seen wearing a pastel striped shirt, light-wash denim skinny jeans and silver ankle boots. She was carrying a light brown leather backpack, a black-and-yellow Vera Bradley wallet, a black Verizon slider phone and a small pink container of pepper spray.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1533388.html
    This bee my opinion

38. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

I'm so proud of Lafayette. Citizens and businesses are all over this.

40. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to 'Ailina For This Useful Post:

Tricky case... would think if someone clipped her bicycle to take her, they would leave the bike since loading it up into a car would take time, hmmm, if a small truck, then could be fast.... may not want to leave bike since it might contain paint from vehicle on it.. seems like too much thinking for a perp who happens upon her spur-of-the-moment... Mace spray wouldn't help much if she was knocked off her bike by car...

Wonder what her relationship was with her BF.... he is in the unenviable position of being last person to see her... do friends verify she normally rode from his house to home that late at night?
    Used to say, "100 years from now, my problems won't matter; now-a-days it's more like 25 years!

Three-No Cases (click to blog)]

Rule-of-Three (click to blog)

Red Flags When Spouse Goes Missing (click to blog)

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldSteve For This Useful Post:

OldSteve, BW is not her boyfriend, just a close friend. And yes, she has ridden from there to home at that time of night before.
    Last edited by queenofcorona; 05-21-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: added info

44. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to queenofcorona For This Useful Post:

I wonder if Mickey was a member on any bike forums such as mapmyride or bikely. Users there often post maps of previous bike rides they enjoy.

46. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TexasLil For This Useful Post:

OldSteve, the Huff-po interview with her mom that I linked upstream says she drives but would rather ride her bike...

slightly OT but when we lived in Germany (and other areas that were friendly to bikes) I NEVER drove.. ever... My car sat in front of my house. (we only drove if we were shopping so much it wouldn't fit in my baskets or if we were going out of town.. but then we always took the bikes with).. I even rode my bike to work.
    This bee my opinion

48. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

queenofcorona, I also see she is a senior... was she set to graduate this spring or was she just entering her senior year?
    This bee my opinion

50. The Following User Says Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast