GUILTY WA - Stepan Perebeynos for child abuse, Fircrest, 2012

TexasRanger

Reaction score
http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-18monthold-child-found-beaten-in-critical-condition-3yearold-sibling-missing-20120517,0,6078434.story?hpt=ju_bn6

The man accused of severely beating his girlfriend's 18-month-old son and injuring the boy's 3-year-old brother was charged Monday with first and second degree child assault.

An 18-month-old child was found badly beaten in a Fircrest apartment Thursday and was hospitalized in critical condition; his 3-year-old brother was also treated for injuries. The boyfriend of the childrens' mother was arrested in the case.

Stephan V. Perebeynos, 28, is being held at the Pierce County Jail while deputies conduct their investigation into the incident.

Perebeynos' bail is set at $5 million; he is a Russian national and prosecutors are concerned that if he were able travel back to Russia, extradition could be complicated.

The mother of the children, Heather Berven, was not at the residence when the incident occured.

"There was no sign of anything [violent] ever," she said Thursday night outside of Mary Bridge Children's Hospital in Tacoma, where her two children were being treated. "All I know is that he hurt my babies.

"He's [the baby] in and out of consciousness," she said, crying. "He looks at me but he's not responsive. He has hemorrhaging in his brain."

The family had been involved in three prior reports to Child Protection Services. The most recent was in August, 2011, when the Puyallup Tribal Health Care authorities called about a suspicious injury in the then-nine-month-old's mouth.

The other reports occurred in May and October of 2010, and involved allegations about the parents' behavior. However, no allegations of abuse or neglect were made, and the parents were not screened for investigation.

On Friday, the 18-month-old's condition was upgraded from critical to stable, but he is suffering from subdural hematoma. The hospital would not speculate on how this will impact him long-term. His 3-year-old brother suffered a broken arm and had multiple bruises on his body.

On Thursday, Pierce County sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said Perebeynos told deputies when they arrived at the residence that he had been left in charge of his girlfriend's three children while she was away getting medical treatment.

Berven was at an in-patient drug rehabilitation facility, prosecutors said on Friday.

Deputies rushed the 18-month-old to the hospital, but the 3-year-old boy could not be found and Perebeynos told them the boy had been kidnapped four days earlier. That set off a frantic police search.

Perebeynos also later told detectives that the children's father, who currently lives in Oregon, had come up and taken the children. The father did not take the children and prosecutors believe that Perebeynos called his sister to come and get the 3-year-old and take him from the home. They believe Perebeynos did this because the 3-year-old's injuries were more visible than those of the 18-month-old.

Hours later, detectives said one of Perebeynos' relatives was watching TV and saw the news story and took the 3-year-old boy to Mary Bridge Children's Hospital. Initially, it was believed that his injuries were not very serious but then hospital staff discovered that his arm had been broken.

Poor baby, I pray he does not have lasting brain damage from this.

The chain of events was set off Thursday afternoon, when the Fircrest Police Department responded to a 911 call reporting an unconscious child at a residence in the 1000 block of Panorama Drive. The call had been placed by the mother’s boyfriend, who stated that the child would not wake up.

"Responding police and firefighters found an 18-month-old child with major head trauma and bruising on the child’s body," the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department said. "The child was rushed to Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital in critical condition."

Of Berven's three children, the third one — a 7-year-old girl — was placed into protective custody after she was found safe at a nearby school. Investigators said that Perebeynos was watching the three children while their mother was away.

"Investigators have not been able to determine the whereabouts of [the] 3-year-old ... and fear he may be a victim of foul play," the sheriff’s department said in an initial statement.

Troyer said although the boyfriend told detectives that the boy had been kidnapped four days ago, another family member said that wasn't true, that she had seen the boy Wednesday night. The discrepancy led deputies to fear Perebeynos may have harmed the boy.

It was later announced that the 3-year-old boy had been dropped off at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital by a relative, and that the boy had bruises and scratches.

Former neighbors Ken and Barbara Miller said they've known Perebeynos for 15 years and they had never seen any sign of a temper.

"There’s never been any sign of outrage or anything like that, a very even-tempered kind of guy," Barbara Miller said. "I can’t imagine him doing anything to harm a child. It just shocks me to hear that."

"Known him for years, just a very nice young man," Ken Miller said.

In the Fircrest neighborhood where Perebeynos lived with Berven, neighbors said he kept to himself.

"He seemed nice," said neighbor Martha Reed. "All I ever did was say hello in passing and that was about it."

I saw this story being covered today and just cringed. Yet again we have a mother who hands her children over into the care of her "boyfriend"

Once again we find that CPS had been to the home and that people had been reporting "concerns"

Once again we haver a mother who says something like "I never saw this side of him"

Well you know what ladies, they aren't gonna ever show you THAT side til they are beating you and your kids dummy!

Sorry for the rant but this is just ridiculous. When will these ignorant women get it.

And don't even get me started on why did this m other not ask this father to care for the children while she went to mental health facility or rehab or wherever she was (reports conflicting). The father who apparently had some concerns.

What a load of doo-doo!

"There was no sign of anything [violent] ever," she said Thursday night outside of Mary Bridge Children's Hospital in Tacoma, where her two children were being treated. "All I know is that he hurt my babies.

Hello? What about this? Wouldn't you call this this 'a sign of anything violent ever' ???

The family had been involved in three prior reports to Child Protection Services. The most recent was in August, 2011, when the Puyallup Tribal Health Care authorities called about a suspicious injury in the then-nine-month-old's mouth.

Poor poor little ones. They never should have been left in the care of their mother after the first CPS visit.. The little 18-month-old has severe brain damage and most likely cannot survive without life support. The 3-year-old will have long-time frightmares remembering his beatings at the hands of the BF. The seven-year-old may have escaped any outward physical damages as she was enrolled in school and external bruises would have been noticeable by school personnel, hopefully. As to her internal bruises, and bruising of her soul, who knows. But I hope this this young girl is saved from a violent future, and placed with a loving family. How disturbing and so very sad that women continue to leave their children with abusive boyfriends and they don't/won't even "see" the evidence of beatings to their own helpless little ones.

IMHO

I have seen a commonality with all of the cases like this. These mothers have not learned to love themselves, so they look for men to fill that void. Children love you unconditionally and for some reason these women do not understand that. WHy do these women not understand that the Lord loves them and wants what is best for them. Each day on this earth is a gift and your children is an extra gift from the Lord. There needs to be classes to help these type of women with self esteem, parenting skills, and even having apartment complexes where boyfriends are never allowed to stay. THese communities need to be gated to ensure safety. We see it time and time again. Women fall victims to drugs and men because they do not love themselves.

I have seen a commonality with all of the cases like this. These mothers have not learned to love themselves, so they look for men to fill that void. Children love you unconditionally and for some reason these women do not understand that. WHy do these women not understand that the Lord loves them and wants what is best for them. Each day on this earth is a gift and your children is an extra gift from the Lord. There needs to be classes to help these type of women with self esteem, parenting skills, and even having apartment complexes where boyfriends are never allowed to stay. THese communities need to be gated to ensure safety. We see it time and time again. Women fall victims to drugs and men because they do not love themselves.

And there's only one reason that won't work. Women with low self esteem often do not realize it. They have days where they feel good, they've heard all the old jazz about not being able to love others unless they love themselves, but they feel such intense "love" for the that they don't ever consider that it can't be real. Getting women to realize they need help means making it clear to them that what they feel isn't love. Good luck with that. Not bashing the idea, but the practice would be just about impossible.

Maybe they'll never gain self esteem so a lovely little program like that might not work BUT throwing their butts in prison for failure to protect ( if it can be proven they knew of the danger) for while just might. I'm sorry but these "mothers" need to be held more accountable than they are.

In January 2015 in Pierce County Superior Court He pleaded guilty to one count of assault of a child in the 3rd degree, and another count was dismissed. He was originally charged with assault of a child in the 1st degree, so it looks like a plea bargain was made just before the trial was due to start.

https://linxonline.co.pierce.wa.us/linxweb/Search.cfm

Sentenced to 39 months (3 yrs) for child assault

https://www.co.pierce.wa.us/index.aspx?NID=3562

WTH. Just another sad, shameful, and all too common, case of abused children being shortchanged when it comes to justice for instances of severe violence and neglect being committed upon them . It never ceases to amaze me that these "child abusers" get away with such ridiculously light sentences.

Furthermore, it is beyond disturbing that the most vulnerable and innocent of our population is the most under-represented and least protected victims in the criminal justice system.

I've looked, but I can't find any update on the condition of the badly injured boy :( I assume he didn't die as Stepan was never charged with murder or manslaughter, but I worry he may have been badly brain damaged :( if anyone finds an update please post it here, I'd love to know how he's getting on.

the 18-month-old's condition was upgraded from critical to stable, but he is suffering from subdural hematoma.

The hospital would not speculate on how this will impact him long-term. His 3-year-old brother suffered a broken arm and had multiple bruises on his body.

The sentence is disgusting, isn't it :( :( Now he's free and more children are at risk.

I found a picture 3 children on the mother's fb, uploaded in August 2012. One boy is wearing a protective helmet, but he's sitting up and conscious at least, so he definitely didn't end up completely paralysed :)

In November 2013, the mother posts that the kids are still in foster care.

There's also a pic of 3 kids that was uploaded in May 2015. I think they are her kids, and they all look very happy and.healthy :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back