AGAIN-Bagged lettuce recall expands across nation

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Why do I always read these after we've eaten the product? :banghead:

The bagged salads are sold under the names River Ranch, Farm Stand, Hy-Vee, Marketside, Shurfresh, The Farmer's Market, Cross Valley, Fresh n Easy, Promark, and Sysco.

The recalled retail and foodservice salad bags have "best by" dates between May 12 and May 29 or Julian dates of 118 and 125.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47518439/ns/health-food_safety/?ocid=ansmsnbc11

I won't even feed my kids salad.

It's too bad that this problem is still occurring.

I won't even feed my kids salad.

It's too bad that this problem is still occurring.

I have salads at least 2 times a day; I have a garden just started so I can grow the lettuces/spinach myself. No sprays and no chemicals.

Make it yourself, folks. Wash, pat dry, all that good stuff... too many things are just being handled too much and every step offers a chance of contamination.

From the field, into the crate/box, handled by your produce man, then you. When was the last time you saw dirt on your produce? Imo, that's a GOOD thing.

JMO

Make it yourself, folks. Wash, pat dry, all that good stuff... too many things are just being handled too much and every step offers a chance of contamination.

From the field, into the crate/box, handled by your produce man, then you. When was the last time you saw dirt on your produce? Imo, that's a GOOD thing.

JMO

I love spinach fresh out of my garden...in high school I worked at a pancake house on the weekends. One day when I handed a customer his salad with his burger at lunch a cockroach crawled out of the lettuce. :sick: He asked if I had just picked the lettuce in the back yard...the only thing I could think to say was 'be careful, I hear they travel in pairs'. :doh: He did laugh but had macaroni salad instead.

I loved the convenience of the bagged salads but learned a while back that the stress over the constant recalls do not make the convenience worth it in the long run.

Chop it yourself and lose the stress. thats my motto

Can someone plz 'splain to me why bagged/sealed produce is so expensive but keeps being recalled? And why (so often) it is wilted/brown edges even if it's not recalled? :angel: Rhetorical questions...maybe someday "they" will get it rite. JMO.

Fight back by not buying it. JMO. Produce is sposed to be fresh (if in the produce section), DUH.

Plus (LOL) I remember reading that keeping lettuce/etc. in plastic is not good...keep it in a paper bag, in the fridge (of course). Maybe another misleading tip, IDK.

So disgusted with it all...beam me up to the old days when things were simple. ;)

Just clean and cut your own salad.... bag it yourself.

Well, we of the "I'm grown up and I don't wanna eat my veggies!" cartel are still safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back