Sudden heatwave causes collapsed roofs on row of £1million houses in south London

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Yikes! A rise of 10º Celsius is equal to that of 50º Fahrenheit, btw.

Families flee after roofs on row of £1million houses COLLAPSE in London street because of sudden change in temperatures
Writer Will Self is lucky to be alive after the roof of his £1 million house collapsed while he was inside with his children.

The journalist and author led his two sons to safety after the roof came down on his and four of his neighbours' homes in Stockwell, south London, last night.

The freak incident is being blamed on yesterday's sudden heatwave, when temperatures leaped almost 10 degrees in less than 24 hours.
---
Self’s wife, journalist Deborah Orr, wrote about the incident on Twitter.

She said: 'Our house, and the four neighbouring houses, are OVER.'
---
She later added: 'It’s emergency services central. Helicopters, the lot.'
---
One of Mr Self's neighbours, Julia Wiley, 48, was also home when the roof parapet of her three storey Victorian townhouse collapsed.

She described the sound as a 'whoop, crack and crash'.
---
more, with pictures, at Daily Mail link above

I don't understand the concept, wfgodot. Here in the desert we are used to temps over 110 Farenheit and below freezing. Of course that's not usually on the same day, but a 50 degree (still Farenheit) difference between day and night temps is not at all uncommon.

Our roofs don't fall in because of it. ???

I don't understand the concept, wfgodot. Here in the desert we are used to temps over 110 Farenheit and below freezing. Of course that's not usually on the same day, but a 50 degree (still Farenheit) difference between day and night temps is not at all uncommon.

Our roofs don't fall in because of it. ???
Yeah, I was also wondering. A matter of different kind of construction techniques in Victorian-era England? A weird thing, whatever.

Incidentally, I've read a few of Will Self's things and he comes highly recommended. Sorry his roof fell in, but his subsequent account will be entertaining.

London is not use to hot weather as they are further north, but not too cold despite being further north than parts of Canada. It is because of the Gulf Stream.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back