Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #2

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    Here is the Lafayette police blotter.
    http://www.lafayettela.gov/Police/Press_Releases.asp
    No reports of women being accosted or bothered...

Is that good or is that strange?
    Used to say, "100 years from now, my problems won't matter; now-a-days it's more like 25 years!

Three-No Cases (click to blog)]

Rule-of-Three (click to blog)

Red Flags When Spouse Goes Missing (click to blog)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldSteve For This Useful Post:

Hate to sound like a stuck record, but don't forget to add to #tags any new place or person, etc., mentioned. I only had 30 tags so when I brought them over several had to be left out - check and see if yours needs added again!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post

That is the norm for Lafayette, IMO.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Schmidty For This Useful Post:

According to the NCMEC website, there are 17 missing "children" in Louisiana All runaways. Is there a way to lookup missing "adults" for the State of Louisiana?
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

Louisiana missing adults
    [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74272"]LA Missing Links - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Patience For This Useful Post:

Just saying ahead of time, I don't think Mickey's disappearance is in any way related to the Jennings murders. The victims and locations were related in other ways that I believe would exclude Mickey. JMO
    'Ailina - Freelance Author, Home Educator
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ailinawillis

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 'Ailina For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    According to the NCMEC website, there are 17 missing "children" in Louisiana All runaways. Is there a way to lookup missing "adults" for the State of Louisiana?
    I just went through all the links at Charley Project, looking for missing women. None showed up at all for Lafayette. I may have missed some in the parish, but I don't think so.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

This is a good site for browsing the missing of Louisiana
    http://identifyla.lsu.edu/la_missing.php

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Patience For This Useful Post:

Maddening, the wait for information. My God - it lets us know in a very small part how Mickey's family and friends are feeling.

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wfgodot For This Useful Post:

Because she is so petite, am praying they are keeping an eye on the pedophiles. For someone to nick the back of her bike while she's stopped may have given them time enough to harm or confuse her and pack her up swiftly.

Prayers of love and Light for Mickey, her family and friends.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cajun Girl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Maddening, the wait for information. My God - it lets us know in a very small part how Mickey's family and friends are feeling.
    The kids in town ...this has affected them drastically. Speaking with my 22 year old son this evening was so very sad ...their worldview has been indelibly altered. They feel so helpless. The banding together is wondrous to see but the waiting, the not-knowing ...he kept using the word dark. Their hometown will never be the same to them, or their carefree sense of safety.

22. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Schmidty For This Useful Post:

Have not found her bike.

No one has mentioned seeing her.

No mention of cameras seeing her.

Bars would be closing around time she rode her bike, placing more people on the streets.

She routinely rode late at night home from friends house.
    I know that LE tends to hold their cards pretty close to their chest, but I would think that if Mickey was seen on a camera they would pass that along to the public after a couple of days, if they were still stuck on the case. If she wasn't seen on a camera, then I don't think they would say anything, and simply would be quietly investigating closer to where she disappeared. KWIM?

LE has been very quiet. I think they are looking at things behind the scenes.
    “Where there is love there is life.”
    ~ Mahatma Gandhi

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snoopster For This Useful Post:

The community has to be wondering and waiting on some response from LE to feel they are safe to even let their children out to play. It's very disheartening the main media coverage is to the credit of those searching and offering rewards. Kudos to all of those who are trying to keep this in the news

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TexasLil For This Useful Post:

There are approximately 27million human slaves in the world today, 300,000 in the U.S. alone. Slave trafficking is alive and well, yet not a lot of people know that it is still a huge issue. I've done a lot of work through my church and we've got a few people on mission trips in Thailand right now trying to get some of the girls on the right track. It's so scary and MS is beautiful, and sweet, and innocent. Poor thing. This is only my opinion, but I feel like this might be one of the likely scenarios. The ONLY positive thing about this situation, (I hate even saying that) is that she is still alive. The sooner we find her, the better. Praying for the best outcome. And very hopeful that we will find this young lady!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redhand For This Useful Post:

tarabull is online now Sometimes learning is finding out what we already know.

OldSteve you got me digging deep:

Lafayette Student Victim Of Attempted Abduction: Police Believe Suspect Robbed Two Other Women

http://www.wfmz.com/news/Lafayette-S...z/-/index.html

I wonder if they ever caught the guy?!?!?

ETA: DISREGARD THIS POST - the next post (by AMB22) will explain why...
    Last edited by tarabull; 05-24-2012 at 12:23 AM.
    KINDLY NOTE: Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy any post made by me.
    Further, my posts are merely my humble opinion unless otherwise supported by a linked source for back-up. Thank you.

"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - Henri Poincare

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
    OldSteve you got me digging deep:

Lafayette Student Victim Of Attempted Abduction: Police Believe Suspect Robbed Two Other Women

http://www.wfmz.com/news/Lafayette-S...z/-/index.html

I wonder if they ever caught the guy?!?!?
    That Lafayette is in Easton, Pennsylvania.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AMB22 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AMB22 View Post
    That Lafayette is in Easton, Pennsylvania.
    Sorry....

KINDLY NOTE: Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy any post made by me.
    Further, my posts are merely my humble opinion unless otherwise supported by a linked source for back-up. Thank you.

"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - Henri Poincare

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:

Sorry I'm posting this so late but just got home a little while ago/showered/ate and am literally beyond exhaustion from the searches today.

I went on one private search this morning and then led 2 separate organized search teams into 2 different areas. The 1 o'clock search had about (7) eight person teams that went out into primarily residential areas not far from the Ryan St. location. Each team had certain sectors to cover. The 5 o'clock search there were (7) five person teams and we all went to a very large section of dense/heavily wooded area and a lot of field area with very high vegetation. That area was bordered by Eraste Landry & Ambassador Caffery Roads. I'm not really sure why that particular area was singled out other than the guy coordinating the searches said they had received a lot of calls about the area. All I know is we could have used about 200 people to really thoroughly search that area.

The private search this morning was around the Souvenir Gate/Coliseum Rd area which is the area where my daughter's sorority house is as well as several other sorority/fraternity houses. I know one of the maps posted here on WS (too dog tired to find it right now) showed one of the possible routes she may have been known to use which would have her coming down St. Mary to St. Landry and then coming back up Coliseum. I just can't imagine she'd come that route at night though. One reason, it looked like it would take her "out of her way" when there were quicker routes and two ... even though there were some street lights along Coliseum, there's nothing but a big wide-open field on one side and only one business we saw. It would have been much quicker for her to come down Parkside to Souvenir Gate to Cajun Dome Blvd and then to Congress. We went down Souvenir Gate to get over to the Ryan St. house (base camp now for volunteers/donations) and that road is wall-to-wall houses.

The Ryan St. house is "right off" Congress and to me, it would have made more sense for her to immediately get on Congress rather than taking the "backway" through the residential areas (St. Mary, St. Landry, Souvenir Gate). We were up and down Congress from the Bertrand area up to where the Ryan St. House is several times today and came back down through there tonight after we finished searching that wooded area. We could get a little better sense of the lighting down Congress since it was dark by then and I have to say, even though there are plenty of street lights they are far enough apart to where there were many areas that were still rather dark. That said though, I still can't imagine that no one saw her at all and I really don't think if someone accidentally hit her (& removed her) or she was abducted that someone would have had time to do it. As others have already said, Congress is heavily traveled and has lots and lots of businesses and houses. It's just very, very difficult for me to understand how she and her bike just vanished. Everyone that was on my search teams said the same thing.

LE most likely has their hands REAL full if they are looking closely at the carnival crew. I wasn't looking real closely at that area today other than to note there is a ton of equipment, vehicles and LOTS of mobile type trailers I assume the crews/workers live in while on site.

From looking at 'searched areas map' today, there has been quite a bit of territory covered the past few days. Thing is though, while we were out searching today it just made us all even more aware of how much area there is still yet to be covered just in the immediate Lafayette area. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack especially since no ones seems to know how far she may have gotten between the Ryan St. house and her own home. People are doing what they can search wise but you have to keep in mind, there have been no 'professionals' so to speak involved in coordinating the volunteer searches.

In closing, I have to tell y'all, we were just amazed & overwhelmed by the sheer VOLUMES of items/food/supplies that have been donated so far at the base camp (Ryan St. house). It's just unbelievable. Each time we were at the house today there were just lines of cars driving through dropping off even MORE stuff.

Hoping and praying Mickey will found SOON.
    Everyone sees who you appear to be.....few really know who you are.

Thank You so much MahMoo, for searching today. I have a question.

It was stated upthread, that the carnival had not yet started when she went missing. Do you know if the workers had already arrived that night?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

37. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to katydid23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Thank You so much MahMoo, for searching today. I have a question.

It was stated upthread, that the carnival had not yet started when she went missing. Do you know if the workers had already arrived that night?
    No, the carnival has not started yet and was not open to the public tonight when we passed by. I believe it opens tomorrow actually. I'm not sure when they pulled into town to start setting up. No idea how long it takes them to get it set up either but I can tell you from going to it myself in the past as well as passing by today, they have got a lot of equipment/rides and several of those rides are very large and look like they could take a while assembling.

We may be able to find out when they got here by checking some of the local media facebook sites and/or the find Mickey f/b site. I'm sure somebody local has already posted when the carnival crew got into town.

Edited to add: The Cajun Heartland State Fair starts Thurs May 24 and runs thru Sun Jun 3 so they will be in town for a while. http://www.cajundome.com/arena_event...te=2012-May-01
    Last edited by mahmoo; 05-24-2012 at 01:39 AM.

39. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mahmoo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mahmoo View Post
    Sorry I'm posting this so late but just got home a little while ago/showered/ate and am literally beyond exhaustion from the searches today.

<snipped description of search>

Hoping and praying Mickey will found SOON.
    Thank you so much for the work you are doing! If I didn't live far away I would definitely be out there searching. As a petite blonde who has cycled at all hours of the day and night for more than three decades (clearly I am no longer young), this case feels very personal.

Riding four miles at 2am makes perfect sense to me. The biggest danger is getting hit by a car. IMO it is extremely rare to be attacked while riding a bicycle (the exception is on isolated trails where, at least in my city, muggers sometimes lie in wait) and there are many neighborhoods I would bicycle through but would never walk in.

I do know of one case in Philadelphia where a young woman was murdered when biking home at night but she was found right away. The total disappearance of both Mickey and her bike is baffling. I continue to pray for her safe return.

41. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to radiator For This Useful Post:

This is definitely the right state...and it reports of recent attempted abductions.

I realize this guy has been targeting kids but I also noticed the video at the link shows the intersection of Congress & Bertrand....

Also another reason for my digging on other attempted abductions is because just last night a girl had posted on the Find Mickey FB page that she attended Mickey's candlelight vigil - snuck away to snoop / search around the neighborhood and felt she had been followed by a creepy guy in a black truck...actually another person posted too about being wigged by a creepy guy in a black truck eyeballing people.

http://www.katc.com/news/attempted-k...prettyPhoto/0/

So I wonder if JR made bond?

43. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:

I'd like to suggest to locals reading here that would like to help in some way but maybe can't do actual searches ... you can go by the Ryan St. house and pick-up some fliers to post in different areas of the city and outlying areas. They have boxes and boxes of them and lots of duct tape and thumbtacks. If you can't make it to Ryan St. you can still print fliers at home.

I think you'd have to be living under a rock if you live in the Lafayette area and have not become aware of this case by now but I still think the fliers need to be posted in as many areas as possible. We were posting fliers as we were searching today as a matter of fact.

45. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mahmoo For This Useful Post:

I'm unable to find a date on that article about the attempted kidnappings of children, but if this guy was in custody when Mickey disappeared, it still might be worth it for LE to investigate his truck AND his acquaintances. He can't drive his truck if he's in jail, but one of his creepy friends could, especially if they share the same (gag) "interests".
    'Ailina - Freelance Author, Home Educator
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ailinawillis

47. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 'Ailina For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tarabull View Post
    This is definitely the right state...and it reports of recent attempted abductions.

I realize this guy has been targeting kids but I also noticed the video at the link shows the intersection of Congress & Bertrand....

Also another reason for my digging on other attempted abductions is because just last night a girl had posted on the Find Mickey FB page that she attended Mickey's candlelight vigil - snuck away to snoop / search around the neighborhood and felt she had been followed by a creepy guy in a black truck...actually another person posted too about being wigged by a creepy guy in a black truck eyeballing people.

http://www.katc.com/news/attempted-k...prettyPhoto/0/

So I wonder if JR made bond?
    According to Lafayette Sheriffs arrest site http://jades.lafayettesheriff.com:88...v=list&alpha=R the guy referenced in your link was arrested 5/10/12 and is still incarcerated.

49. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mahmoo For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast