Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #2

tarabull is online now Sometimes learning is finding out what we already know.
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Ailina View Post
    I'm unable to find a date on that article about the attempted kidnappings of children, but if this guy was in custody when Mickey disappeared, it still might be worth it for LE to investigate his truck AND his acquaintances. He can't drive his truck if he's in jail, but one of his creepy friends could, especially if they share the same (gag) "interests".
    Hopefully both people writing on the FB page reported their experiences.

ETA: The date on the article is May 10, 2012
    Last edited by tarabull; 05-24-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    KINDLY NOTE: Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy any post made by me.
    Further, my posts are merely my humble opinion unless otherwise supported by a linked source for back-up. Thank you.

"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - Henri Poincare

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TexasLil View Post
    The community has to be wondering and waiting on some response from LE to feel they are safe to even let their children out to play. It's very disheartening the main media coverage is to the credit of those searching and offering rewards. Kudos to all of those who are trying to keep this in the news
    In the cases I have followed here at WS cell phone pings have been an important clue in helping to discover the last movements of the individual who has gone missing. It has been days now and we have heard not a word from LE on the cell phone.
    So many volunteers are out there methodically searching and after this many days and all the effort being put forth I question if LE would just let them search blindly. How long can this community keep up at this amazing pace? If LE/FBI know her phone pinged at Lake Martin for example, would they keep quiet on the phone ping info with all the public searches going on?
    Thank you searchers and God Bless Lafayette!
    JMO

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WideOpen For This Useful Post:

tarabull is online now Sometimes learning is finding out what we already know.
    JANE VELEZ-MITCHELL

May 23, 2012

• Friend Speaks Out about Mickey Shunick Disappearance

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1205/23/ijvm.01.html
    KINDLY NOTE: Unless you are quoting within Websleuths Forums, you do not have my permission to copy any post made by me.
    Further, my posts are merely my humble opinion unless otherwise supported by a linked source for back-up. Thank you.

"It is through science that we prove, but through intuition that we discover." - Henri Poincare

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tarabull For This Useful Post:

I've lived in Lafayette just about all my life and am very familiar with the area.

I've also read most of the last thread, if I repeat something forgive me.

My company deals with one of the carny groups that comes through, I'm not sure if this is the group because we don't hear from them until a day or 2 before they leave. If this is our group, the guy that runs it is from Baton Rouge and is a stand up guy, as are most of his people. Not defending them, just from personal dealings these people are working class guys, and alot of them have their families with them. Not saying there isn't a bad apple in the bunch, but that goes for all businesses.

Directly across, to the north, from the fair is UMC. Its the local charity hospital that is patrolled by Sheriff Deputies, these patrols are increased during times when the fairs are in town, mainly to keep people from parking there, but the police presence is there regardless. Hospitals normally have cameras, or so you would think.

I disagree with it being "normal" to see people on bikes at 2 in the morning. When I do see people on bikes at that time, it's normally closer to the interstate off Cameron street and the people riding do not have any reflectors and are wearing darker clothing and I'm usually cursing them for being so stupid.

From what I've read, Mickey made the trip often enough to feel comfortable doing so. Her size, being so small she would look like a minor out past curfew, and would attract the attention of both police and child molesters. But Congress is one of the more traveled roads in Lafayette, and there is an influx of traffic at 2 due to the bars letting out. I think if she made it to Congress then her chances of making it home without harm were greater, than if she were on the back streets behind the dome.

Lafayette is a town where if we see something that isn't right, we're going to step in just to make sure. If someone tried to grab her on congress, someone would have step in, I truly believe that.

I don't think this has anything to do with the missing women in Jennings. All those women had at least one of two things in common, drugs and prostitution. Drugs being something more than pot.

Since Monday morning when I first saw the report I thought something wasn't right. I didn't think she ever went out the back door and got on her bike, but I heard something today that got me thinking in a different direction. I was at a store today around 2pm and was talking to the lady running the counter trying to find out about the what the dogs found or didn't find, knowing that if they were using bloodhounds the chances of picking up Mickey's scent would be very very high. She tells me no word on the dogs but there is a woman who said, earlier on the same night, she was riding her bike in the same area when she noticed a green van that gave her a bad feeling. Just before the girl got to a busier section of the road the van pulled up and blocked her way, then took off like something spooked the van away. The store clerk said all she knew was it was a green van with TN plates, and the girl on the bike was giving her information to police. It's been bothering me since I heard this, I've been following it almost non-stop since.

I have some questions of my own that I didn't see answered earlier:
    Did the K-9s find anything? I know they had the dogs out yesterday but there hasn't been any mention of them other than a picture of the Police unit that brought them in.And the van, if the van story is true, then searches need to move more towards the east, northeast in my opinion.

I still think there is something strange with the guy she was with, but if he is in love with her, why let her leave so late after being out and knowing she was worn out from the night they had, and the night before? If she was as tired as he claims she was, would she risk crashing her bike instead of spending the night?

No camera images
    No hits from the K-9s
    No evidence that she was evening in the area of the bike route
    No mention of the green van by media

I don't believe she left Ryan St on her bike, I hope I'm wrong and she just pops up ok.

Wow, thoughtful post, wilkie. The green van incident is indeed disturbing. I'm praying LE is following up on all these tips. Details are still fresh in everyone's minds. Now's the time to glean it all.

I'm also hoping LE or the MSM will at least throw the public a verified bone or two -- even just a small confirmation or two to keep up morale. We're a determined city for sure, but fatigue may set in sooner or later.
    'Ailina - Freelance Author, Home Educator
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ailinawillis

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 'Ailina For This Useful Post:

Hmm ... I'm thinking now after looking at the fair/carnival company's archived travel schedule that may not even be a viable consideration timing wise. Here's the link http://www.namidway.com/fairs-events...tailed/archive.

If you look at the Louisiana, Missisippi & Alabama schedules you'll notice that they had fairs running thru May 20th (which was Sunday) in all three states. I'm just kind of assuming the group that's now in Lafayette is likely one of the groups that traveled LA/MS/AL. With the fairs ending May 20th they would still need time to tear everything down, pack it up and travel to Lafayette and likely didn't get in to town until Monday earliest. I imagine LE knows exactly when they got here though.

That will be a big plus time wise & manpower wise if LE doesn't have to spend time investigating that fair/carnival group.
    Everyone sees who you appear to be.....few really know who you are.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mahmoo For This Useful Post:

Mahmoo, are you aware of any searches being done in The Block, that neighborhood across Congress from Ryan, going all the way to the other side of that area over to Cameron? Fields, open areas, deserted houses, a street-by-street canvas?

Great first post, wilkie3. Welcome to Websleuths!

Keeping the prayers going for Mickey's safe return.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.
    Welcome to WS Wilkie. Glad to have your input...and I hope the news about the van gets LE's full attention.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hollyblue For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
    Mahmoo, are you aware of any searches being done in The Block, that neighborhood across Congress from Ryan, going all the way to the other side of that area over to Cameron? Fields, open areas, deserted houses, a street-by-street canvas?
    To tell you the truth, when I was looking at the big map where they'd colored in the sectors that had been searched (by volunteers) I was more focused at the time on the particular sector our team was going out to during the 1 pm searches. It did however look like that area across Congress from Ryan St. had been covered. I'm not too good estimating distances based on the map they had up but I'd venture to say at least a 2 mile radius around Ryan had been or was being searched today. I wasn't paying close enough attention to notice how extensively other areas beyond that radius have been searched (such as around the the route(s) she may have taken, around where she lives, etc.). I also don't know if that map included areas 'professional teams' and/or LE may have searched already.

I 'think' there were 7 teams during the 1 o'clock search but, there may have only been 5, it was rather chaotic getting organized and I wasn't really keeping track of the number of teams going out. Anyway, as I said, each team had a sector and it looked to me all of those sectors were in the same general area.

Our sector was boundaried by W. St. Mary, Colonial Dr, Eraste Landry, a small stretch of Cameron, and St. Louis St. We searched the boundary streets as well as all interior streets within the boundaries. We did have a small amount of overlap with at least one of the other search teams because we ran into some of them.

The 5 o'clock search had 7 teams with 5 people to a team and we were all sent to one location which was a huge area to try to cover. We started out in a caravan to the location but I'm thinking some of them got lost or something because it looked like only about 3 teams showed up. I know there were no more than 15 us of total out there. That area was bordered by Eraste Landry, Ambassador Caffery, Gallbert Rd and from Cox Communication bldg. straight back to the tree line at Ambassador.

That wooded area we went to was the only area 'scheduled' to be searched at 5 clock. There were definitely way more people (than the 35 needed) that showed up at Ryan St. volunteering to search. Most of them were not dressed to go into that wooded area. The people spear-heading the searches were telling all the extra people to take a look at the map to see the areas already searched and suggested that they could do their own 'personal searches' if they wanted. I don't really know how, or even if, they were going to try to keep track of the 'personal search' areas.

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mahmoo For This Useful Post:

wilke3 thanks for that info about the green van!!! Hopefully LE is on the lookout for it. I don't imagine that info will be released publicly but hopefully word will get around about it so at least some will be aware if they happen to spot it.

I definitely agree with your thinking Mickey's case is unrelated to the Jennings murders. I've been following those cases VERY closely for almost 4 years now and she doesn't fit the profile/lifestyle of those women. I suppose anything is possible but nothing about Mickey's case so far seems to tie into those cases.

Interestingly enough though, while I was looking at the search map getting our team details and talking to the guy spearheading the search areas, someone came out on the porch from inside the Ryan St. house (only family & close friends were allowed inside the house) and told the coordinator he needed to work on getting some 'coverage' in Jennings. I told them both about my familiarity with the Jennings cases and that in my opinion, Mickey's case more than likely was not related to that area or those cases but to do whatever they felt was warranted.

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mahmoo For This Useful Post:

http://1079ishot.com/mickey-shunick-...nefit-concert/

This is just amazing and great news:
    Now, celebrities and athletes from Drew Brees and Howie Mandel to ESPN anchors and MTV reality stars are sending out re-tweets to millions of their followers to help bring Mickey home.
    Also at the above link:
    Because of the need for more room to work, tomorrow, (5/24/12), the headquarters will move from 100 Ryan Street to the Our Lady of Wisdom Center at the corner of St. Mary and McKinley Street on the UL campus.
    Sooooo glad they are moving the headquarters. It was grid-locked on Ryan St. every time I was there yesterday ... very short, narrow street.

Link to a new website that's been set up:
    http://www.findmickeynow.com/

22. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mahmoo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Girl View Post
    Because she is so petite, am praying they are keeping an eye on the pedophiles. For someone to nick the back of her bike while she's stopped may have given them time enough to harm or confuse her and pack her up swiftly.

Prayers of love and Light for Mickey, her family and friends.
    I'm thinking the perp most definitely would have to have a van or pickup to hide her bike (??)
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

On JVM they described the area as "woodsy". The alleged green van with TN license plate has me freaked out a little bit.

Holly Bobo is still missing. Another pretty petite blonde. Could there be a connection?

How woodsy is woodsy? Enough to hide a green van off the road and not be noticed? TIA
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

Holly

Mickey

Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

Worth looking into

http://m.nbc33tv.com/w/main/story/61826477/

Further digging shows he was arrested around the 200 blk of Arnould Blvd which is off of Congress st. Information on the case is limited but it was mentioned to the detectives as a lead to look into

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to A.C.I For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by A.C.I View Post
    http://m.nbc33tv.com/w/main/story/61826477/

Further digging shows he was arrested around the 200 blk of Arnould Blvd which is off of Congress st. Information on the case is limited but it was mentioned to the detectives as a lead to look into
    Welcome!

He apparently knew the woman he raped according to this article. Still, I agree he should be questioned about Mickey.

Captain Kip Judice with the Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office says 24-year-old Jared Tabb knew the woman.
    http://kpel965.com/lafayette-man-faces-rape-charges/
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    Welcome!

He apparently knew the woman he raped according to this article. Still, I agree he should be questioned about Mickey.

http://kpel965.com/lafayette-man-faces-rape-charges/

Very true, but at 24 years old perhaps mickey or some of her friends do know him.

http://www.facebook.com/katctv3/posts/355365234519473

A post in here from a cute blonde girl claiming he used to beat her.

Mainly its worth looking into because of the time frame. He was arrested Saturday the 19th. Its possible he was out at 2am the night before and up to no good. The girl in the FB post claims he's on drugs. Perhaps he sold drugs. Im in no way trying to offend anyone but you have to reasonably look at Mickey, Brettly and that whole group of friends as people who possibly partake in the ganja a bit. A bunch of vegan, bike riding hipsters who hang out at Artmosphere? Thats a strong possibility. I live in the area and know that most "hipsters" around here do. Not that I think theres anything wrong with it. Plus with the reddit post by one of the friends in r/trees (a pot smoking subreddit) it seems to suggest that. It was her birthday weekend. It must be logically looked at that she could have stopped somewhere else to hang out or "celebrate" and thats where something went wrong. Again, no offense, just trying to introduce some more simple and logical theories to help find Mickey.

I think this guy needs to be looked into and someone needs to find out where this group of kids got their weed from.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome

34. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to A.C.I For This Useful Post:

hollyblue is offline It may be the cock that crows, but it is the hen that lays the eggs.

36. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to hollyblue For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    volunteer command post moving locations this morning:

http://www.katc.com/news/missing-mic...n-on-the-move/
    This bee my opinion

38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

This was posted in January on the Slidell Police Department in Slidell, Louisiana on their facebook page. Might or might not be connected but it appears there was a suspicious green older model van stalking children.

16 January at 13:50 via Mobile ·
    In response to the suspicious van that asked some kids to get in yesterday afternoon...At this time it appears to be an isolated incident. STPSO are increasing patrols in the area and are looking for the vehicle, which is described to be an older model bluish/green van with curtains inside and luggage rack on top. SPD is working closely with the STPSO and are also looking for the vehicle. If anyone see's this vehicle please get a license plate and call your local authorities immediately.

https://www.facebook.com/SlidellPD/p...01914339854734
    Justice for Holly Bobo🎀

40. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ~n/t~ For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    was just reading on Mickey's facebook page and saw there is going to be a benefit concert coming up and also

she has been missing six days :-(

https://www.facebook.com/findmickeynow
    This bee my opinion

42. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ~n/t~ View Post
    This was posted in January on the Slidell Police Department in Slidell, Louisiana on their facebook page. Might or might not be connected but it appears there was a suspicious green older model van stalking children.

Corroborates what Wilkie posted up thread.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~ Aristotle

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

44. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SurfieTX For This Useful Post:

For those of you who don't have Facebook, they've set up an official website with links to sites that have published articles:

http://www.findmickeynow.com/

46. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bonbonbelle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SurfieTX View Post
    Corroborates what Wilkie posted up thread.
    Comments here are interesting. Poster says he called police who checked
    the van owner's license and let him go. The license plate number was also
    obtained by that poster.

48. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Lato For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast