Thread: CA - Becky Friedli, 18, Vicki & Jon Hayward, Palm Desert, Sept 2006 **ARREST**

CA - Becky Friedli, 18, Vicki & Jon Hayward, Palm Desert, Sept 2006 **ARREST**

I did a search and couldn't find a thread for this family. Its a case I remembered vaguely from 2006. There isn't much out there that I can find.

Rebecca “Becky” Annaleigh Friedli was killed in a fire Sept. 17, along with her mother and her mother’s boyfriend at their Palm Desert area home. They were apparently killed before the fire.
    It seemed to become a cold case very fast.
    The last news story I see states they hadn't even identified the mom and boyfriend's bodies.

http://oldsite.the-signal.com/?modul...21&format=html
    Last edited by Salem; 03-12-2014 at 11:12 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lstrel For This Useful Post:

http://behindthebluewall.blogspot.co...has-still.html

I found thias site which has a articles on the case, I don't think it's fair people are fingering the Ex husband though.

I think maybe the LE know or strongly suspect who it is but maybe they don't have enough proof for a conviction to be made?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duckiegirl For This Useful Post:

Here is a new article about this triple homicide:

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,4569338.story

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marilynilpa For This Useful Post:

Current local news from the media and PI's can be found below.

https://www.facebook.com/HelpSolveTh...FriedliMystery

Hopefully some new light will be shed on this case that can finally bring closure for all who were touched by these individules

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMayron For This Useful Post:

http://www.jrn.com/kmir6/news/BREAKI....html?lc=Smart
    TWO ARRESTED AND CHARGED IN 2006 PINYON PINES TRIPLE MURDERS

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AliEastCA For This Useful Post:

Mugshots released of Pinyon Pines suspects

KESQ & CBS Local 2 News Staff
    POSTED: 07:43 PM PDT Mar 11, 2014 - UPDATED: 10:00 AM PDT Mar 12, 2014

Riverside, Calif. - From Riverside County Sheriff's Department Public Information Officer Deputy Armando Munoz: On March 11th, 2014 at 2:14pm investigators from the Riverside County Sheriff's Department Central Homicide Division along with investigators from the Riverside County District Attorney's Office arrested Cristin Smith at the Palm Springs Airport.

Also on March 11th, 2014 at 4:09pm, investigators with the Riverside County Sheriff's Department Central Homicide Division along with officers from the California Highway Patrol arrested Robert Pape in Salton City, on Treadwell Blvd and Desert Air. Both subjects have been booked for homicide at the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside.
    http://www.kesq.com/news/2-men-conne...4928816?item=0
    Private investigators say 18-year-old Rebecca Friedli came home to find her mom Vicki and stepdad Jon Hayward dead in the living room, with the killers still inside the house. Evidence indicates Rebecca ran out, but in the remote area of Pinyon Pines, there was no one to help. She was caught, shot, placed on a wheelbarrow and set on fire. The murderers then set the house ablaze.
    The night before the murder, a former boyfriend and a friend of his had an argument with Becky at Denny's in Palm Desert, California, where she worked as a waitress. She got off work at 7pm so the argument occurred prior. From what is known the altercation was so intense that it resulted in the friend and former boyfriend being ejected from Denny's. Then of course there was the close friend who picked Becky up from her house at 8 pm (an hour after she got off work at Denny's). That close friend appeared to be the last person to see Becky alive He dropped her back at her house sometime before 1am the next day. http://www.myfoxla.com/story/2419690...-pines-murders
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HANNAH GRAHAM TIP LINE (434) 295-3851
    EMAIL: CPDtips@charlottesville.org

Muddy water in the street
    ; Muddy water 'round my feet... as sung by the inimitable Bessie Smith, "Muddy Water (A Mississippi Moan)"

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

I knew them from high school such a tragedy :/ for the longest I thought her boyfriend Jacob at the time was going to be arrested

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thebestinthewest For This Useful Post:

Well, the hearings have been postponed until October due to Smith's medical issues.

Pinyon Pines suspect Cristin Smith has lump in chest
    Colin Atagi, The Desert Sun 1:54 p.m. PDT August 1, 2014

Motion hearings were pushed back Friday for the two suspects in the 2006 Pinyon Pines triple homicide, but one of them may undergo a medical evaluation before his next court appearance.

The defense requested an MRI be performed on Cristin Smith, who already underwent medical examinations for an injury he suffered in Afghanistan while serving the U.S. Army. But now it appears he has a lump in his chest.

Judge orders medical test for Cristin Smith
    KESQ & CBS Local 2 News Staff, newsline3@kesq.com
    POSTED: 04:04 PM PDT Aug 01, 2014

The attorney for Cristin Conrad Smith said the judge told him he needed to be seen by a doctor by August 8. Smith's attorney made the request because there's speculation the lump could be male breast cancer. He wants his client to undergo an MRI.

D.A. Paul Zellerbach ordered to appear for Pape hearing
    City News Service 1:01 p.m. PDT September 15, 2014

Riverside County District Attorney Paul Zellerbach was ordered Monday to appear as a witness at a rescheduled Oct. 6 hearing on a motion to dismiss charges against one of two men accused in a 2006 triple murder in Pinyon Pines.

Zellerbach was subpoenaed by the attorney for Robert Lars Pape to appear at the hearing on the dismissal motion filed by the defense.

At a hearing Monday in Indio, Riverside County Superior Court Judge Charles Stafford ordered Zellerbach to be personally present for the hearing on the motion, which the judge rescheduled to Oct. 6 so the prosecutor could have more time to respond.

Pape's attorney, Richard Blumenfeld, contends in his dismissal motion that the prosecution's case is "entirely circumstantial and paper thin, and rests in no small part upon assumptions and suppositions as to means, motive and opportunity which do not withstand scrutiny when measured against the objective facts."

; Muddy water 'round my feet... as sung by the inimitable Bessie Smith, "Muddy Water (A Mississippi Moan)"

Ah I lost my response stupid app. I remember Becky as well as both of the guys arrested everyone thought it was the assemblywoman from cathedral city's son I can't remember his name or her boyfriend Jacob. I went to Palm Springs High School and the Cristian and Rob went to Palm Desert High School. It's surprisingly a small community in the desert cities everyone knows each other. It's so weird that these guys were arrested I always thought of them to be religious and the one guy Cristian was an ROTC meat head. I can think of 2 other people off the top of my head who knew Becky that have been arrested for 2 separate murders Amanda Lasby is facing murder charges from 2011 for killing her infant daughter and Brian Ogle who is facing charges from 2010-2011ish for killing his uncle http://m.kesq.com/Murder-Charges-Fil...Killing/499102
    I sincerely hope these are the right guys it's scary to think people capable of murder can be amongst everyone else. Don't worry I don't want to be an insider on this case! I know I keep you busy enough with the Belvedere/Flint case. Great job Bessie! You are truly awesome for keeping these cases going and keeping the integrity of the victims by moderating and creating new threads with thorough updates.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thebestinthewest For This Useful Post:

The Riverside County District Attorney's Office dismissed charges against Cristin Smith and Robert Pape on Friday morning in the 2006 Pinyon Pines triple homicide.

"Upon a closer review of the grand jury proceedings, the District Attorney's Office has determined that legal issues arose during the proceedings against defendant Pape that make it appropriate to dismiss the case at this time," according to a District Attorney's office press release.

"Although defendant Smith was held to answer after a preliminary hearing, the District Attorney's Office has concluded that it would not be appropriate to continue the criminal proceedings solely against defendant Smith so the charges against both men have been dismissed."
    http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/...ssed/16645479/